The Eiger Sanction

Muad'Dib

At one point Intrada said they no longer had any interest in John Williams releases, because they released everything they wanted or found interesting, or something.

That doesn't sound right.

Yea, I don't remember reading that, nor would they ever say that. If Universal called them up and said they'd like them to release a new remaster of Jaws, you think Intrada would say no?

I guess it was a) for the time being, b) for the releases that were possible. It could always change.

And they have not released anything JW since, so it does sound right...

Maybe it's from this, though I thought it was more explicit:

Last but not least, John Williams is turning 80 years old this year. Can we expect Intrada to celebrate this joyful event?

Uh…no. Not that I can remember. Not a whole lot left of his to work on, either!

http://www.underscores.fr/index.php/2012/07/interviews-intrada-to-disney-and-beyond/

Last but not least, John Williams is turning 80 years old this year. Can we expect Intrada to celebrate this joyful event?

Uh…no. Not that I can remember. Not a whole lot left of his to work on, either!

http://www.underscores.fr/index.php/2012/07/interviews-intrada-to-disney-and-beyond/

You can read it different ways, really. It might as well mean there are several yet unannounced significant projects in the pipeline from different labels and Intrada is not one of them.

Here's hoping.

Karol

It's our little 'download' joke. You don't remember? Strange, me and Steef do it all the time ... and now even Steef thought I was serious too. I guess watching Avatar does destroy the brain. ( ;) )

No way! CD wasn't invented yet!

Alex, I bought it on vinyl, in 1979.

Can you prove it?

So much of what is posted on this site, is taken on trust. I remember that my post about seeing JW at The Barbican in 1982 was met with incredulity, until it was comfirmed that he did, indeed, give a concert with the LSO at The Barbican, in June, 1982. Was I there? Yes. Can I prove it? No. Was I at Six Of The Best? Yes. Can I prove it? No, but those who know what Six Of The Best is, always respect me for saying so.

I bought "TES" in 1979, from a shop called 58 Dean St, Records, in London. Just for the record (no pun intended!) I bought "Jaws2" in Milton Keynes, in July, 1978, and "Dracula" in 1979, from a place called Dress Circle Records, which was located near Drury Lane - all on vinyl.

The transfer on "TEE" is not good, it being one of the early-ish (1990) soundtrack transfers. I hope that a new edition, with improved sound is not far away.

Since this thread has been going for a while, I figured I would post that The Eiger Sanction is airing tonight on AMC for anyone who has that channel and has any interest in checking it out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Looks like it includes a pretty sweet E.T. toy!

Otherwise, it looks like it's just one of those oversized cardboard packages they used to (still do?) put on CDs at places likes Sam's Club, presumably to prevent theft.

Those are called longboxes. Every CD came in them in certain stores in the US in the early 90s.

Those are called longboxes. Every CD came in them in certain stores in the US in the early 90s.

Do you know what do they include inside? a booklet? something else? or just the cd?

i catched this film the other day on tv passing channels.

I saw one man that resemblen clint eastwood (but no closeups) climbing some rocky mountain... and the music, which i think was not on the CD and therefore i had never listened it, was 100% Williams.

I said "mmmm this must be the eiger sanction". It was.

Williams music is 100% recognizable and unique indeed.

Do you know what do they include inside? a booklet? something else? or just the cd?
Usually nothing. The jewel case is at the top and the bottom is just an empty box.

These existed for a few reasons. Stores at the time still sold vinyl records, and these 12" tall boxes fit well into those displays. They were also supposed to deter theft. They were phased out as LPS stopped being sold and the extra material and cost were unpopular with artists. Now the longboxes are collector's items.

Of course, a longbox is the same size as the tall Rhino soundtrack books, like Ben-Hur and Gone with the Wind. This isn't one of those.

That picture makes it look like Clint is preparing to hack E.T.'s brains out with an ice axe as he cycles past him. "Get away from me, you freak!"

Nothing else. They were just created to make CDs be the same height as LPs in the record store. Total waste of cardboard.

I had those for HOOK and FAR AND AWAY and honestly didn't understand what to do with this. Ripped apart you couldn't even put them on a shelf as exhibition (those were better designed than the Varése, mind you)

He wrote in in the same period. The style is different but it's the same Williams.

Bit too 70's Francis Lai

But Williams.

Alex - who likes Williams for the composer and not for a certain genre

Not really. But is that genre related? Perhaps we've come to a point that Williams has said all there is to say. Nobody will expect Usain Bolt to break new 100 m records when he's going 80, right? ;)

Alex

I want the original film main title.

If I remember correctly it is not radically different from the album version is it.

I would love to have the complete original "bottlecap collector's" version of this score.

If I remember correctly it is not radically different from the album version is it.

Although the first half of the film and album versions of the main titles are broadly similar, the film version undergoes some wonderful development in a similar style rather than morphing into the jazzy rendition that finishes the album track. That's a good minute and a half of unreleased Williams goodness languishing in the archives since 1975, right there. If Brian Eno were alive today he would be spinning cartwheels in his grave.

Although the first half of the film and album versions of the main titles are broadly similar, the film version undergoes some wonderful development in a similar style rather than morphing into the jazzy rendition that finishes the album track. That's a good minute and a half of unreleased Williams goodness languishing in the archives since 1975, right there. If Brian Eno were alive today he would be spinning cartwheels in his grave.

There are a few of these scores from 1970's languishing still in the archives (hopefully) and will be released someday. Not that the OSTs aren't fine, but I would love to hear the complete scores for e.g. Eiger and Earthquake.

Not that the OSTs aren't fine, but I would love to hear the complete scores for e.g. Eiger and Earthquake.

The OSTs are rerecordings, right? Aren't they rerecorded for a reason?

Not that the OSTs aren't fine, but I would love to hear the complete scores for e.g. Eiger and Earthquake.

The OSTs are rerecordings, right? Aren't they rerecorded for a reason?

Yeah, to bebother fans of John Williams so that we don't get our grubby little hands on the original film scores!

I'm a fan of Williams and I'm happy with those recordings. I know Williams wanted his listeners to be happy with them too. Why can't you be happy, Incanus?