The Eiger Sanction

Muad'Dib

And as a John Williams fan and completist collector I naturally want to hear everything he has done, both album and film incarnations of his work. I find it odd that I have to explain or justify this here of all places as if being happy with OST album would make some of us somehow more noble or better fans.

Good example of fascinating differences between a re-recorded OST and actual film score is Missouri Breaks where the album undoubtedly has a more beefed up orchestrations, some re-worked material to form a better listening experience and rearrangement of the material for a sequence full of variety and a new dramatic outline. This does not however diminish the actual film score which contains very original and interesting writing (some of my favourite passages of the score actually) that cannot be found anywhere in the OST incarnation of the music. So they complement each other and I certainly don't find either redundant.

Many just want to collect them as bottle caps Alex.

They buy the CD, rip it to MP3 and put it away.

That's understandable. They just want easy access to the music (although they should consider ripping to lossless formats, not MP3).

The worst are those who mass purchase the CDs but never play them. That collector mentality I'll never get.

That picture makes it look like Clint is preparing to hack E.T.'s brains out with an ice axe as he cycles past him. "Get away from me, you freak!"

I told you, E.T: don't call me "pal, buddy, or sweetheart!".

I had one of those for Presumed Innocent. I think I threw it out.

You threw out "Presumed Innocent"?! Wha' :o

I want the original film main title.

Then buy the DVD. It's qiute clean.

• 5 years later...

Ford A. Thaxton is claiming over on the Film Score Monthly board that Williams himself has vetoed any future expansion of this score:

Eiger Sanction - John Williams (original score tracks + LP rerecording/remastered/expanded).
It's been too long since we had some new/expanded John Williams music

That's just not happening, Mr. Williams I'm told has vetoed such a release of this score at last report.

Too bad, it's a very good effort, but the album is pretty damned good.

Ford A. Thaxton

Indeed. It seems like it's an expansion he's against (if I'm interpreting that Ford quote correctly), not a reissue of the OST. It would make no sense to veto a rerelease of an OST he has already deemed worthy of release back in the day, or when it was reissued on CD in the 90s.

Well, I applaud Williams for the stance in this particular case, but wish he loosened it on certain other, completely unreleased titles (like STORY OF A WOMAN).

1 hour ago, Thor said:

wish he loosened it on certain other, completely unreleased titles (like STORY OF A WOMAN).

He's doing a new version of that for ASM, but the love story hasn't finished yet...

The Eiger Sanction is the single JW OST album I don't own (it was long OOP and too expensive on the secondary market by the time I realized I wanted to own all his albums) so I welcome a re-issue, don't care if it's expanded or not. 

Indeed. Although Jay didn't say he hasn't heard it, he just doesn't own the CD.

Not the best audio quality but it does the trick:

Also, for those interested, here's Omen II's excellent analysis of the complete score:

It's my weird thing - I'm not going to listen until the eventuality that I get it - it will make it more exciting!  Same reason I don't listen to FYCs, cobbled together edits of the SW complete scores, session bootlegs, etc - although there are other reasons I wouldn't listen to bootlegs.

On 6/12/2020 at 10:11 AM, mstrox said:

It's my weird thing - I'm not going to listen until the eventuality that I get it - it will make it more exciting!  Same reason I don't listen to FYCs, cobbled together edits of the SW complete scores, session bootlegs, etc - although there are other reasons I wouldn't listen to bootlegs.

I hear ya! I’ve had mp3 copies of scores like heartbeeps and eiger forever but I can’t bring my self to listen until I can get a real copy for the shelf. Case in point the recent release of the river it was amazing to give it a first listen with liner notes in hand. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2020 at 9:01 PM, BrotherSound said:

Ford A. Thaxton is claiming over on the Film Score Monthly board that Williams himself has vetoed any future expansion of this score:

I'd believe MM over Ford Thaxton...

"Original Soundtrack Album" is an accepted term for whatever is put together by the film's producers & composer to release as a tie-in with the film. Even internally we use "OST." There is a long history of those being re-recordings, Ben-Hur for example. However, the packages are not always clearly marked as they should be. Jaws really shouldn't have said "Music from the original motion picture soundtrack" on the jacket.

I have no awareness of The Eiger Sanction having been "vetoed."

I bought a copy a couple of years ago, in 2014, for about $US 50. Expensive, but a great investment - especially since I’ve now been able to enjoy it for the last 6 years.

That’s less than 10 bucks a year! Less than a buck a month! Less than 3 ¢ a day!

Jokes aside, it is one of my most listened to JW albums.

I love the understated jazzy theme, and Training With George is one of my most played JW tunes ever. If someone asked me to put together a top-ten greatest hits of JW, Training With George is on there!

2 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

I'd believe MM over Ford Thaxton...

Absolutely! Glad it’s still a possibility, and hopefully he’ll eventually come around on the scores that really have been vetoed (Sugarland Express, etc.).

On 6/12/2020 at 6:05 AM, Jay said:

The Eiger Sanction is the single JW OST album I don't own (it was long OOP and too expensive on the secondary market by the time I realized I wanted to own all his albums) so I welcome a re-issue, don't care if it's expanded or not. 

You really "don't care"? Even though the actual film recording (which is extremely different) is in fact totally unreleased, since the album was a substantially re-arranged and modified re-recording?

Yavar

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

I bought a copy a couple of years ago, in 2014, for about $US 50. Expensive, but a great investment - especially since I’ve now been able to enjoy it for the last 6 years.

That’s less than 10 bucks a year! Less than a buck a month! Less than 3 ¢ a day!

Jokes aside, it is one of my most listened to JW albums.

I love the understated jazzy theme, and Training With George is one of my most played JW tunes ever. If someone asked me to put together a top-ten greatest hits of JW, Training With George is on there!

I just bought a sealed copy for around $35! Couldn’t believe it, every time I’ve looked over the years it’s been $50 and above and just figured I’d wait for the expansion. 

21 minutes ago, MikeH said:

I just bought a sealed copy for around $35! Couldn’t believe it, every time I’ve looked over the years it’s been $50 and above and just figured I’d wait for the expansion. 

Are you sure it's not an LP? ;)