Rescuing Sarah (full version)

Quintus

I was just wondering if there are any better versions/edits of this awesome cue out there?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-4KnPNwkF4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Those shrill strings as the two T-Rex appear from the bushes and surround poor Eddie are some scary shit! JW really tapped Into the hopeless terror of that dire situation - making the music both exciting and ruthless at the same time. The ascending bells and brass which underscores the moment is JW even having delicious fun with the killing. Brilliant stuff, classic Williams.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Datameister's edit is quite good. The entire sequence is actually 2 cues: "Pain Of Glass" (not on OST at all) and "Truck Stop" (on OST as Rescuing Sarah, but with a minute removed from the middle)

Awesome cue, and that little bit is the best out of it. Too bad it got cut, but maybe it was a last minute adition or something...

I remember someone read the sheet and that it said something about being "gothic", and it's actually quite true. Those bells and the organ deep down really add to that gothic feel, and I love it.

We need a whole Johnny score like this. Who's with me?

Well, there's some stuff missing, but it's not that bad. It's not like, say, The Jungle Chase...

Still, only a matter of time before they do a Complete Edition. :)

Yes, Datameister's edit is quite good. The entire sequence is actually 2 cues: "Pain Of Glass" (not on OST at all) and "Truck Stop" (on OST as Rescuing Sarah, but with a minute removed from the middle)

Pain of Glass is the cue I want. I remember some string figures as Eddie climbs into the trailer with the rope.

Plus the missing section of Truck Stop with the chimes is damn cool. Why, John, Why?

It is indeed a brilliant cue, especially the missing section with those awesome chimes that underscore the T-Rexes emerging out of the jungle and sound the death knell to poor Eddie.

I'm sure the selection of the cues from the OST Williams had input. However, for but for when cues are micro-edited or have a whole section edited out I blame the next person down who actually edited the album together. I really hate when chunks like this are removed from the OST. It makes the listening experience worse.

The end of "It Can't Be" (aka Anakin's Dark Deeds on OST) is the wort culprit of this.

I think he tells people he would like to segue from bar 48 to bar 112 (for example), though. Of course he's not using a computer to edit the recording himself :P

So we should blame Spielberg then for forcing Williams to write music he doesn't consider musically logical!

It's not even as if he's cutting out bits where a cue switches scenes and the music completely switches tone for 15 seconds - he's just cutting a segment out. No reason to do that.

However, for but for when cues are micro-edited or have a whole section edited out I blame the next person down who actually edited the album together.

How many conjuctions do you need to introduce a clause? (I count five.)

Sorry - I don't mean to nitpick grammar, but this just made me laugh.

I disagree, I think Williams has total control over the whole album

I'm not entirely sure, it's either that or Williams telling his editor off-hand during the sessions to put this cue they just recorded or so on the album, but cut it down a minute or leave a minute from the middle somewhere out. Then after the editor did his magic work (ahum), he lets Williams listen to the album and Williams, having completely forgotten how the whole thing went by then, gives the OK. Mere conjecture, of course, but a possibility.

Look at how Elfman is constantly going, 'hey, what a great cue, why the hell was that left off the album?'

However, for but for when cues are micro-edited or have a whole section edited out I blame the next person down who actually edited the album together.

How many conjuctions do you need to introduce a clause? (I count five.)

Sorry - I don't mean to nitpick grammar, but this just made me laugh.

What's a butfor?

For pooping, silly!

mole711608.jpg

The missing music in "Truck Stop" is really unfortunate. I can understand why they cut it out, as it is a rather long cue that doesn't contain an enormous amount of variety, and the edited version sounds perfectly natural. Flows pretty well. It's just that the music that isn't there is absolutely fantastic.

As for whether there's a better edit out there, it really depends on what you're looking for. This version is sometimes cleaner than the version I did, but the sound quality is also worse on the whole. DVD rips tend to force tradeoffs like that in action scenes, sadly.

If it helps at all, i've made an edit before utilizing the scene from the Extras that shows most of that missing part of the sequence without dino sfx. There are slight other sfx, but you almost don't notice it. If you use that, plus a few rear channel rips, it's almost completely clean and IS completely listenable.

I've read somewhere (actually it was the Japanese booklet of TLW album) that some orchestra members and the percussionists had a really, really hard time playing this because it was so complex. They did it over and over again, and JW being JW, he demanded nothing less than perfection. And I think it shows.

Yes, in the Japanese edition.

When this score was released (in the summer of 1997) I was in Tokyo, and I picked it up. There was a small booklet included, plus very detailed liner notes, about each track (kinda like what you see with the Intrada and Varese Sarabande releases). The notes were in Japanese, of course, so I asked my mother to tell me exactly what they meant... :)

I wish I still have it.

Pain of Glass is the cue I want.

Yep, that's another killer. I love the interplay between the percussion and groovy piano rumblings.

Another unreleased part I love from that score is when Roland shoots the T-Rex with the dart. This insane percussion.

Same here. Bar 149 of Rialto Ripples.

I also love the 2 bar lead-in with the trombone cluster, atonal string + wind runs, and that certifiable quasi-cimbalom/marimba figure. And then... BAMM! :P

When this score was released (in the summer of 1997) I was in Tokyo, and I picked it up. There was a small booklet included, plus very detailed liner notes, about each track (kinda like what you see with the Intrada and Varese Sarabande releases). The notes were in Japanese, of course, so I asked my mother to tell me exactly what they meant... :)

I wish I still have it.

you and me (everyone at jwfan) both. :angry:

...utilizing the scene from the Extras that shows most of that missing part of the sequence without dino sfx.....it's almost completely clean and IS completely listenable.

What he said

I will be a happy, happy man indeed the day this is officially released in full.

:up:

Same here.

I am looking more forward to this than Jurassic Park, actually.

I will be a happy, happy man indeed the day this is officially released in full.

Yes.

I wish I still have it.

One of these days I need to learn how to read Japanese.

Most of the film scores I have from Japan appear to be loaded with info within the books.