THE ROCKETEER finally remastered! Special event in LA June 21st

Jay

Good news everyone!

Disney D23 announced today director Joe Johnston will be joining the panel being assembled for the upcoming 20th anniversary event of The Rocketeer to be held on June 21, 2011. Johnston, whose work for Disney includes The Rocketeer, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids and Hildalgo, also helms this summer's highly anticipated Captain America: The First Avenger.

At the upcoming special event, he joins the Rocketeer himself, actor Bill Campbell, make-up designer Rick Baker, screenwriters Danny Bilson and Paul De Meo and renowned illustrator William Stout to honor this Disney film. Writer/producer/director Kevin Smith – whose film credits include Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy and Dogma – will host the panel, which also includes rare film footage and photos, immediately before a special screening of the film at Hollywood's El Capitan Theatre, where the film premiered two decades ago.

The evening celebration includes the first-ever, public presentation of the new, digitally remastered and projected version of The Rocketeer. All audience members will receive a complimentary Rocketeer 20th anniversary program and D23 Members and their guests will receive a special commemorative Rocketeer gift.

Following the screening, the celebration moves to the Hollywood Museum, located in the nearby historic Max Factor building, where guests are invited to explore four floors of movie memories and exhibits highlighted by a special presentation of props and costumes from The Rocketeer, curated exclusively for this event by the Walt Disney Archives.

Rocketeer fans will also have access to a selection of commemorative and limited-edition Rocketeer merchandise and collectibles, available for purchase from D23 and event co-sponsor, Creature Features. Merchandise includes Bulldog Cafe coffee mugs and T-shirts, Rocketeer black light and 20th anniversary posters, assorted commemorative T-shirts and pins, Hughes Industries giclee prints, and the limited edition Cirrus X-3 double pin set (packaged inside a miniature replica of the Hughes Industries 1939 New York World's Fair prop folder used by Howard Hughes – actor Terry O' Quinn – in the film). A highlight of the merchandise offerings is the highly detailed Bull Dog Cafe Art Directors Model, limited to an edition size of only 23.

Tickets are on sale now to both the general public and D23 Members online at www.elcapitantickets.com or by calling (818) 845-3110. Event ticket cost is $50 per person. Event check-in begins at 6:45 p.m. at the El Capitan Theatre, 6838 Hollywood Blvd; panel and screening begins at 7:30 p.m. The Walt Disney Archives exhibit will follow the screening from 9:45 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. at the Hollywood Museum located at 1660 N. Highland Ave.

source: http://www.insidethe...ng-and-exhibit/

Yay! Again I am jealous of those of you living in LA. I can only imagine that a blu-ray release will follow this. This is great news; I never bought the DVD because it was freaking non-anamorphic!

I had always thought Disney didn't care about this film; So happy to see they are doing so much for its 20th anniversary.

Hopefully an expanded soundtrack release, perhaps on a new co-branded series with one of our favorite labels, is imminent as well :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised Connelly nor Timothy Dalton aren't present -- they're big supporting players. No sign of James Horner either. Either way, this is a pretty big event. I'm sure a remastered DVD and Blu-ray will be announced at the event or shortly afterwards.

Now Disney needs to get cracking on a remastered/anamorphic version of Hocus Pocus too. That one has a fairly big cult following.

I was just thinking last week how I would pick up a remastered home video release of this movie in a heartbeat. So yay to this (even though no home video release has been announced yet - I can't imagine it being far off)!

it's one of those 80's movies that a lot of people here have a very nostalgic attachment too, so they consider it a masterpiece. Like back to The Future or the Goonies.

Rocketeer was never that way. It never made that big a splash back then,I think they're trying to making a status of it it never had.

It feels like a sudden craze. Out of nowhere, it's this miracle of a film, while it was merely considered a nice flick (with a sexy chick) at the time. It reminds me of the period when Heath Ledger died. The whole world had turned into the twilight zone. Ledger wasn't like a household name but suddenly he was the best actor in the world, even to people who had never heard of him.

I wouldn't call it a masterpiece like you guys but it sure is better than Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

I don't think it's a masterpiece. But it's a lot of fun, even if it's slightly campy at times.

I wouldn't call it a masterpiece like you guys but it sure is better than Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

Actually I don't think anyone in this thread considers it to be a masterpeice - or many people out there in general. I'm just excited because its a GOOD movie - not great and certainly not a masterpiece - but just GOOD. Lighthearted, fun, easy entertainment. This is more exciting than it otherwise would be specifically because the DVD is freaking non-anamorphic. I grew up watching this film over and over on VHS/TV. But since getting a widescreen TV, I refuse to watch non-anamorphic titles, so I havent seen this movie (or True Lies or The Abyss) in YEARS. So I'm excited just to see it again, and I'm sure the remastering will be wonderful. Both the sound and picture need to be improved from the essentially laserdisc transfer that's on the DVD.

God she was sexy before she discovered Atkins.

:yes:

it's one of those 80's movies that a lot of people here have a very nostalgic attachment too, so they consider it a masterpiece. Like back to The Future or the Goonies.

Rocketeer was never that way. It never made that big a splash back then,I think they're trying to making a status of it it never had.

KM is correct. Despite Mrs Connelly's astonishing presence and Mr. Horner's amazing score.

No one ever saw the first TRON. not in the cinema.

What a relieve! So it was just a nightmare :)

Uh, it's a 90's movie.

I actually have no nostalgia for it: I didn't see it till college a few years ago. Still loved it. It's a hell of a lotta fun. Perfect? Of course not. But I could watch it any day of the week. Can't wait for a Blu-Ray.

(The comics are also awesome if you've never read them. Dave Stevens was a master, and was actually on-set for most of the movie's shoot.)

LOVE The Rocketeer! A straight-out fun movie. I agree it does have that sort of 80s feel to it, even though it's from 1991. It's one of those rare films that if I find it on when I'm flipping channels, I leave it on and just watch. Ms. Connelly is indeed yummy, but it's not just that, it's the spirit, the adventure, the story, the characters (Alan Arkin is just great), and even the James Horner score, love the heck out of that score.

Fun seeing Maihar'du taking out Rom. And seeing Pa Kent. And Daryl and Daryl's brother Larry. And James Bond. And John Locke. Even Jan Levitan. :)

It's got that '80s optimism going on. Then in the '90s David Fincher came along and changed our way of thinking. Suddenly we were listening to Nirvana.

I would say that the early 90s have a very distinct style from the 80s. It's different than the late 90s, but I think it has more in common with the late 90s than the 80s. Movies like Jurassic Park, Hook, Home Alone, and The Rocketeer are very sharp and clean (stylistically), whereas Goonies, The Breakfast Club, Stand by Me, E.T., etc. are more gritty and rough. There are some 80s movies, like The Last Crusade, that fit more with the 90s style, but overall it's fairly easy to spot a 90s movie compared to 80s.

I think 90s filmmakers in many cases paid more attention to detail than those in the 80s. When I watch an 80s movie, a lot of it seems somewhat ad-libbed or just thrown together. What made 80s movies good was that they were raw and authentic. A good 90s movie seems more meticulously planned. It was good if the plan was a good one.

What Jeff means is that movies are getting more and more streamlined, focussed to get the main story going, while '70s and '80s movies more often seem to be interested in taking a side road to stand still and wonder, which creates a different kind of cadence. Spielberg's movies are a good example for this. In his old movies, it was like there was room for improvisation during the shooting days. In his recent movies, the dialogue, the camera standpoints, the lighting, everything is according to the script/storyboards and everyone is sticking to it. Everything is planned. The movie is very much finished before they even start filming. I doubt if Steven even shoots more than 1 or 2 takes these days.

Alex

I share Steef's comments in this thread. My son who turns 8 has never seen the movie but has listened to the soundtrack and loves it. He can't wait until this movie comes out so he can finally see. Me too!

What Jeff means is that movies are getting more and more streamlined, focussed to get the main story going, while '70s and '80s movies more often seem to be interested in taking a side road to stand still and wonder, which creates a different kind of cadence. Spielberg's movies are a good example for this. In his old movies, it was like there was room for improvisation during the shooting days. In his recent movies, the dialogue, the camera standpoints, the lighting, everything is according to the script/storyboards and everyone is sticking to it. Everything is planned. The movie is very much finished before they even start filming. I doubt if Steven even shoots more than 1 or 2 takes these days.

Alex

Yeah, that's basically what I was getting at. The film stock and the technology play a big part in the 90s look, but I think there's more to it than that, including stylistic choices.

I doubt if Steven even shoots more than 1 or 2 takes these days.

Alex

Incorrect.

BTW, me & my brother saw TRON when it came out in '82 and we were both really into it. We had the Disney read-along LP, the big Golden Book Storybook and even some TRON toys! TRON made $33 million in 1982 when the avg ticket price was $2.94 in the US. In today's money (where the avg ticket price is $7.86) that would equal to $88 million. So it was not a huge flop, but made a modest amount - just not nearly as much as Disney had hoped for. In regards to the Rocketeer, I had the trading cards and some books when it came out so it definitely had a decent marketing campaign as well. Ironically, The Rocketeer made $48 million in '91, which just so happens to also be $88 million in '11 money. So TRON & the Rocketeer were both disappointments for Disney but not even close to box-office flops. I think Disney wanted TRON to get Star Wars money and the Rocketeer to garner Batman, or even Dick Tracy numbers.

Adjusting ticket prices doesn't mean the same number of people would have seen the film today versus 30 years ago. Also, just because you bought some trading cards doesn't automatically make a marketing campaign successful. :P

Adjusting ticket prices doesn't mean the same number of people would have seen the film today versus 30 years ago. Also, just because you bought some trading cards doesn't automatically make a marketing campaign successful. :P

No, but I was trying to say that both films were heavily promoted and not just little movies that nobody knew about. Lots of merchandising! LOL!!

I would love for Dick Tracy to get some kind of special treatment. BTW, it is being screened here in LA with a Q&A by Beatty this month.

Boy, it would be a magnificent one-two punch to get a remastered release of the film and expanded/complete release of the score for this one. The timing would be excellent for The Rocketeer to introduce a new cooperative line with Disney around the time of the film's 20th anniversary. Fingers crossed.

So is Dick Tracy next? The Black Cauldron?

Disney released a restored version of The Black Cauldron a year ago, and it looks superb. The extras are lacking, though.

But on the other hand, it's probably the only Disney animated title that wasn't altered for its home video release (i.e. the new Disney logo or redrawn animation).

I doubt if Steven even shoots more than 1 or 2 takes these days.

Alex

Incorrect.

I see. Well, I'm not a Spielberg expert but that's the feeling I get with his later pictures. It's like he's making them because it's work rather than out of passion. It's all more calculated and professional but I miss his old hungre, his drive and perhaps a more naive enthusiasm, as if he was only living for his art and didn't yet care about the other things in life. The fever is gone. The eagerness of the (young) artist still wanting to express and prove himself no longer reflects in his work. IMO, of course.

Alex

• 1 month later...

Still no news on a remastered blu/dvd of The Rocketeer. Hopefully there will be one by December!

However, Joe Johnston says he'd love to make a Rocketeer sequel:

http://www.slashfilm.com/joe-johnston-id-love-sequel-rocketeer/

And some guy made an animated Rocketeer short:

http://www.slashfilm.com/votd-pixarstyle-rocketeer-short-film/

http://www.slashfilm.com/joe-johnston-interview/

According to Joe Johnston:

They keep saying it’s coming' date=' but I don’t know. I haven’t talked to Disney about it, but you know I went to the 20th anniversary screening the other night at the El Capitan and they said, “Hey we are going to a BluRay. We are definitely doing a BluRay.” “Well when?” That’d be great. The print that they had was the cleanest I have ever seen it, a new digital print. It looked great, it really looked great.[/quote']

I was at that event and the digital print was pretty amazing looking. I was expecting them to announce the bluray there too.

Thanks for the link. Nice little interview video in there. Let's hope the new release has deleted scenes, making of, and more. It definitely deserves that kind of treatment.

Wow that was a great read, thanks for the link! I generally like Kevin Smith but it sure sounds like he ruined that panel. Bummer. Sounds like overall the whole event could have been managed better.

Hopefully a blu ray will be out soon! I'd guess it'll be timed to come out around when Captain America does, pershapsage?