UJam

Smeagol

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be good for mockups though ;)

Oh yeah, absolutely. I can see how it could be useful once they turn it into an app of some sort. It is an interesting idea. Unfortunately the elitist snob in me already hates the amount of new "composers" that will emerge if this thing becomes popular.

Oh well.

I understand that, but (if I read the article correctly) just read the sheet music for an unreleased williams cue, whistle/hum it into Ujam and you will get a "good" (hopefully the program has an option to go purely orchestral) mockup of it

They couldn't even spell Zimmer's name right...

I think the idea is cool, though I haven't tried it out. It's very...Zimmer-like, in that it attempts to bring more people into the process of making music, which is great, but the results will be stylistically unoriginal and (in most cases) quite mediocre. As long as it's seen for what it is - a fun tool for easily making some music that sounds professional on a superficial level - I don't have a problem with it.

Watch out, John Williams! I will kick your ass now!

;)

Karol

Yeah! "Music "composed" and "conducted" by Faleel Lelaaf"

I think the idea is cool, though I haven't tried it out. It's very...Zimmer-like, in that it attempts to bring more people into the process of making music, which is great, but the results will be stylistically unoriginal and (in most cases) quite mediocre. As long as it's seen for what it is - a fun tool for easily making some music that sounds professional on a superficial level - I don't have a problem with it.

What he said.

In the remake of Mars Attacks, Zimmer's music will be what repels the invaders this time.

What he said.

Yup.

It's a pretty noble idea in theory, but like everything it's got its downsides. Like a welfare state, it'll result in many becoming dependent on the software, and being conditioned by it into lacking the self-sufficiency to manage without it.

Sort of like orchestrators/arrangers were for hummers, and sequencers/sample libraries//Sibelius/orchestrators are for a lot of today's generation. Only worse.

:lol: That's not the most flattering photo of him. I suppose middle age will add a little pudge around anyone's midsection.

The midsection is alright, I was more talking about that unfortunate image of his scragged beard gracing a second chin that is as large as a third boob.

Ugh, now more people who have no business scoring films might get the idea they can.....:rolleyes:

Yes, God forbid anyone can grow up in our world thinking they are capable of anything.

Pushing a button isn't a skill, and you shouldn't grow up thinking that.

Just like kids shouldn't grow up thinking popping a frozen pizza into the oven is cooking.

Ugh, now more people who have no business scoring films might get the idea they can.....:rolleyes:

Yes, God forbid anyone can grow up in our world thinking they are capable of anything.

I can read and understand a book on surgery, doesn't mean I can successfully cut open a person.

A person can naturally grow up and learn how to become a composer. Not plop in front of a computer and start punching keys. Of course more common sense in this world would be a plus.

I think it's very smart as a toy thing (and am flabbergasted as to why not more people see it as just that!), and may lead to talented kids exploring more "serious" software and composing mechanisms later on. Or just let the adult hobby composer have a good time without any ambition of becoming a real composer.

I see it as an avenue for people who have had no experience in creating music to have that opportunity. Which they could then explore further by learning an instrument, writing their own stuff, etc.

For me, anything that can inspire musicality in young people is an asset, as long as other, more traditional methods are still available and encouraged. You lot are all a bunch of wet blankets.

I see it as an avenue for people who have had no experience in creating music to have that opportunity. Which they could then explore further by learning an instrument, writing their own stuff, etc.

For me, anything that can inspire musicality in young people is an asset, as long as other, more traditional methods are still available and encouraged. You lot are all a bunch of wet blankets.

Exactly!

For me, anything that can inspire musicality in young people is an asset, as long as other, more traditional methods are still available and encouraged.

That's what I fear - that they won't be. Just an endless line of various technology, and having others do most of the work for you.

I think it's very smart as a toy thing (and am flabbergasted as to why not more people see it as just that!), and may lead to talented kids exploring more "serious" software and composing mechanisms later on.

Or even better - no software at all! :D

Well, let's not go back to the stone age here. Musicality isn't defined by technology or the tools, whether it's pen and paper or computer programs. It's all in the APPLICATION of them, i.e. HOW they are being used.

I'm with Thor on this. (:eek:) Again, I haven't tried out this service, but it sounds like it would be far too limited to actually be put to use in music production for the real world...it would just be a toy to entertain and inspire people. If a system like this were advanced enough to be used for a whole film score or whatever, it would start to really concern me, but my guess is that the vast majority of users will fit the noob demographic they're looking for. From their FAQ:

UJAM is focused on making everyone a musician, so we prioritize features that enable everyone to make music, even if they have little background or are non-musicians. We're kind of like the point-and-shoot camera for music. Have you ever seen a point-and-shoot with exchangeable lenses or a remote flash?

Point-and-shoots are great for taking lots of crappy little snapshots, and there's nothing wrong with their existence. The pros still use SLRs (digital or otherwise) and - more importantly - will hopefully have enough skill and talent to do something meaningful with them.

I'm not at all pleased with the emphasis on tools over technique in the film scoring world of late, but technology is never inherently a bad thing, IMO. It's just a matter of how people decide to use it.

Musicality isn't defined by technology or the tools, whether it's pen and paper or computer programs. It's all in the APPLICATION of them, i.e. HOW they are being used.

Yes, but certain mechanisms tend (on average) to influence the output. A score composed on a MIDI keyboard + sequence + sample library - then orchestrated - is more likely to have a different quality to it, than one done through pen, piano and paper.

:lol:

As to your point, Prometheus, I agree - probabilistically speaking, that's going to happen when newer technologies are in play, and it can be unfortunate. But I still contend that the tool is just a tool, and the blame lies on composers who spend too much brainpower thinking about sample libraries and not enough thinking about a real orchestra. (Even having dabbled a little in various sample libraries lately, I can totally understand why that happens, but I'm still not a fan of the results.)

OMG I just tried it and it's actually pretty...hilarious! :D

Basically, as people have said, you sing/hum/play in a melody (to an optional click track) and then the software attempts to identify the chords that would fit for each bar (no chord changes within the measure allowed!).

Then you're taken to a sort of timeline/piano roll and allowed to change the chords to better match it, edit the note...and then you choose a backing style, like "80s rock" or "Oriental burner" or, of course, "Hollywood."

You customize your style by adding more "instruments"...which as you might suspect, is Zimmer-speak for loading more loops. Loops loops loops! Synth loops! Jazz loops! Hans Zimmer's drum loops! It's an incredibly Zimmerish way of "composing". It might not be art, but it reminds me of when I was in high school and my friends would sit around making crappy music in Fruity Loops. Art, hell no. Fun, absolutely.

And for us, ridiculous bordering on the sublime! I mean, I kinda have to love anything that empowers me to create this musical monstrosity. :D

http://www.mediafire.com/?stiyx14lxcwl0mq

Edit: Seriously, I think we should use this to redo all sorts of classic film themes in Zimmer style. I think it'd be hilarious!

Here's Hans Zimmer's force theme. *runs for cover* :D

http://www.mediafire.com/?1l9kp633eq8qldn

Seriously guys, I am having way too much fun with this. Is something wrong with me?!

OMG I just tried it and it's actually pretty...hilarious! :D

Basically, as people have said, you sing/hum/play in a melody (to an optional click track) and then the software attempts to identify the chords that would fit for each bar (no chord changes within the measure allowed!).

Then you're taken to a sort of timeline/piano roll and allowed to change the chords to better match it, edit the note...and then you choose a backing style, like "80s rock" or "Oriental burner" or, of course, "Hollywood."

You customize your style by adding more "instruments"...which as you might suspect, is Zimmer-speak for loading more loops. Loops loops loops! Synth loops! Jazz loops! Hans Zimmer's drum loops! It's an incredibly Zimmerish way of "composing". It might not be art, but it reminds me of when I was in high school and my friends would sit around making crappy music in Fruity Loops. Art, hell no. Fun, absolutely.

And for us, ridiculous bordering on the sublime! I mean, I kinda have to love anything that empowers me to create this musical monstrosity. :D

http://www.mediafire...stiyx14lxcwl0mq

Edit: Seriously, I think we should use this to redo all sorts of classic film themes in Zimmer style. I think it'd be hilarious!

Here's Hans Zimmer's force theme. *runs for cover* :D

http://www.mediafire...1l9kp633eq8qldn

Seriously guys, I am having way too much fun with this. Is something wrong with me?!

MORE MORE MORE!! lol

Hans Zimmer's Eternal Vow (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) :D

http://www.mediafire.com/?38uu2ey23ym72fv

Just for clarification, the violin solo I played into UJam (sorry for the mistakes), and you can set the reverb setting you want on it...in this case "cinematic"...of course. :D

Just for comparisons' sake, here's the same violin track but with the backing style changed to "Romantic" (instead of "Hollywood").

http://www.mediafire.com/?xhk44m6606dob2a

Aaaand one more...Hans Zimmer's Yoda's theme.

http://www.mediafire.com/?3us5a6aus5bfcrk

Any requests? :D

Something from JW's early scores, sourcelike, um, Lisolette and Harlee?

HA! :D Here it is!

Hans Zimmer's Lisolette and Harlee

http://www.ujam.com/songs/hCn87dfHxCsV

.mp3 download:

http://www.mediafire.com/?i6l4oh7axitwzqb

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Let's hope the film producers recognize the brilliance of this product and start scoring movies themselves. Now that they don't even need RC composers to have that sound they love so much. You're digging your own grave, Hans!

Karol

Something from JW's early scores, sourcelike, um, Lisolette and Harlee?

HA! :D Here it is!

Hans Zimmer's Lisolette and Harlee

http://www.ujam.com/songs/hCn87dfHxCsV

.mp3 download:

http://www.mediafire...i6l4oh7axitwzqb

How about Hans Zimmer's The Ten Commandments (bernstein) or Psycho?

Thanks for posting those, aviazn. :) Very entertaining, and yet they also demonstrate why we have nothing to worry about. This is a fun tool to allow users (most of whom will be amateurs) to create some vaguely professional-sounding music without too much effort or knowledge. The only way this could ever be put to use in a professional setting is if someone had sufficient creativity and artistic vision to overcome its rather rigid and formulaic nature - as I'm sure the UJAM folks would agree.

People are getting worked up over nothing.

This type of thing is just a gadget, for enthusiastic amateurs to use.

It's like the digital camera revolution.

Making pictures or video's used to be a difficult, cumbersome and costly process were you had to take a picture or shoot a video, and then have it developed before you knew if it was any good.

Now it's just so easy.

Anyone can make pictures or shoot a video. A lot of it ends up on facebook or youtube. Most of it is not very good....and so far the world has not ended.

^ Yup. That's not to say we aren't faced by a real shortage of quality film music these days, but fun little toys like this aren't the culprit.

Yep. If anything, there's refreshingly unpretentious. It's the big 'workstation' setups composers have that are more responsibility, yet as you say - it's up to the composer in the end. You can just solely blame the technology.