People's reactions when you say you listen to the Jaws score.

Bellosh

21 members have voted

1. 1. Has anyone ever looked at you like you have 3 heads when you express that you listen to the Jaws score?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I normally tend to only talk soundtracks with people who are interested in the same subject. No sense in bringing up stuff to people who have no interest in it.

All my friends and family know I collect movie scores and have no issues with it.

Not really, no. Usually when I talk film music to (new) people the reaction I get most is one of mild indifference. Mature adults are old and wise enough to appreciate the fact that not everyone likes Rhiana or The Black-Eyed Peas.

When I was in junior high and high school most of my friends actually thought it was "cool" that I had a bunch of film soundtracks.

I never bring film scores up unless someone else does first. Which has led me to some funny conversations with young, female Danny Elfman fanatics. Or the classic "Is that Indiana Jones?" when you're listening to Jurassic Park :lol:

No.

But there are those priceless looks you get when you listen to Williams' Olympic Fanfare at full volume while driving down to the mall with an open window.

I don't talk about my love of film scores with anyone outside this board. It really never comes up and I listen to a ton of music outside film scores that people never will notice it if they look at my iPod.

But there are those priceless looks you get when you listen to Williams' Olympic Fanfare at full volume while driving down to the mall with an open window.

Although I don't drive down to malls with windows open and loud music playing, I'd imagine this would turn some heads :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znPpnNPuXBA

Although I don't drive down to malls with windows open and loud music playing, I'd imagine this would turn some heads :lol:

160 BPM from Angels & Demons did the job just fine ;)

I can't remember ever having played JAWS in the company of others, much less gotten a reaction to it.

Well, I think I may have played the theme in a quiz once, but then the reaction was more to get the answer right than to do any kind of evaluation of the music! :)

I normally tend to only talk soundtracks with people who are interested in the same subject. No sense in bringing up stuff to people who have no interest in it.

:thumbup: If someone asks me what kind of music I like, I'll tell them, but after that, the conversation usually doesn't progress past this:

"Oh, who's your favorite composer?"

"John Williams, mostly."

"Oooh, what movies did he do?"

"Lots of 'em...Star Wars, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, lots of other stuff."

"Oh, cool."

Sometimes they'll go so far as to then recommend some random one-hit-wonder score that I have zero interest in, at which point I'll smile and nod my head. :P Unfortunately, we're a rather rare breed.

Oh, right, the topic of the thread - yeah, I don't think I've ever even told anyone that I listen to Jaws. It just never came up. I'm not even sure the younger generations would associate the name of the film with the dun-dun-dun-dun theme.

Many of these dialogues go like this:

"What kind of music do you listen to?"

"Like film scores."

"What is that?"

"Like the music played in movies."

"Oh, like Jaws and stuff. Duh duh duh duh, etc?"

"Yeah, I guess."

"Ok, but do you listen to any real music?"

:|

There was a day in January a long while back when I listened to Jaws all the way through.

It was the single most important album I had ever learned to appreciate.

Trust me, if someone mocks the Dun Dun Dun theme, it's all lighthearted! I would never judge someone music-taste wise.

but deep down inside, it's probably the most important music he's ever done, IMO. Maybe not best, but important.

The level of subtly in Jaws is ABSOLUTELY UNREAL. I don't think it's ever been matched in that category. You HAVE to listen to it multiple times to fully get it if you're on the outside in.

*edit: and just for the record: Williams order > film sequence order. (collector's edition)

*edit: and just for the record: Williams order > film sequence order. (collector's edition)

hahahhahaah......... NO.

There was a day in January a long while back when I listened to Jaws all the way through.

It was the single most important album I had ever learned to appreciate.

Trust me, if someone mocks the Dun Dun Dun theme, it's all lighthearted! I would never judge someone music-taste wise.

but deep down inside, it's probably the most important music he's ever done, IMO. Maybe not best, but important.

The level of subtly in Jaws is ABSOLUTELY UNREAL. I don't think it's ever been matched in that category. You HAVE to listen to it multiple times to fully get it if you're on the outside in.

Agreed! I think I gave away my collector's edition (or sold it cheaply, I can't remember). The original MCA album is the only one I will ever own.

You have guts. I don't think I would ever be able to do that. I need every minute ever composed related to this film, it makes my usual "shuffle" mode listen cooler.

I actually find the dundundun theme quite fun and not scary, as if Williams actually was on the shark's side with an evil smile.

the original soundtrack is brilliant and unbeatable. People hear it and recognize the main theme immediately and they look at you with awe at your good taste.

Jaws does not have the geek factor of Star Wars or HP.

Agreed! I think I gave away my collector's edition (or sold it cheaply, I can't remember). The original MCA album is the only one I will ever own.

No I think you misread my post.

IMO

The Collectors Edition > Original Soundtrack

and therefor,

Collectors Edition: Williams Order > Film Sequence Order.

hahahhahaah......... NO.

To each his own I guess, but 'The Shark Cage Fugue' @ track 4 is PERFECT. It slows it down from the grim shark theme we get in the first 3 tracks.

Back in the '90's I worked at a Classical music radio station and one of the commercials I mixed was for a seafood restaurant. I used "Out to Sea" from Jaws. When I played it for my boss and the client, my boss didn't recognize it, but the client did. He laughed heartily, declared it brilliant, and we ended up using that music for all of his spots.

And, yes, on more than one occasion, I have driven by the local high school with the windows down and stereo blasting scores. Yeah, probably had my head bopping to the beat, too.

If the subject comes up, I explain I'm into "film scores".

Unfortunately, since I'm not into Williams so much these days, it gets rather harder to answer the "whose music do you listen to?" question.

The least desired reaction I've ever had is "in the nicest possible way... can you play something a bit more upbeat" during a road trip. To which I started The Battle / Over the Falls from Ice Age 3.

I've never met anyone in person whose primary source of music has 'no singing' :)

All my friends and family know I collect movie scores and have no issues with it.

I've told people I listen to soundtracks, but I try to lay off the "I spend hundreds of dollars every year on them" bit. In fact, the less I think about how much money I've invested, the less my hands shake.

In high school, I would carry one of my cassettes of the Star Wars Anthology to school to ask that we listen during class. Some kids didn't mind, but one of my dearest friends looked at me and said, "I can't believe you listen to this crap." She thought it odd that I would listen to background music.

I don't talk about my love of film scores with anyone outside this board. It really never comes up and I listen to a ton of music outside film scores that people never will notice it if they look at my iPod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znPpnNPuXBA

I like to drive by churches with that blaring out my window.......

I'm thinking about taking a plane/helicopter tour of the Outer Banks when I go on vacation, and based on what a friend told me, only the Jaws music will be appropriate. He said that if people knew how many sharks were visible just outside the range of where people normally swim, they'd never go in the water at all.

No.

But this happened to me once: a girl asked me what I was listening to, and instead of telling her, I took off my headphones and gave them to her. She listened, then started grinning, and said, "Hey, that's the Mickey Mouse theme!"

It was actually "Star Wars End Credits." :lol:

No.

But this happened to me once: a girl asked me what I was listening to, and instead of telling her, I took off my headphones and gave them to her. She listened, then started grinning, and said, "Hey, that's the Mickey Mouse theme!"

It was actually "Star Wars End Credits." :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I find the whole water experience, lakes, pools, ocean and water parks, to be uninteresting these days. Of course I used to enjoy camping, hunting and fishing but I don't want to say I outgrew them, they just don't appeal to me anymore.

Give me a hot tub, my wife and 6 pack of Corona and that's all the water I need.

Give me a hot tub, my wife and 6 pack of Corona and that's all the water I need.

Yeah, you're right, American beers really taste like shit. :mrgreen:

Not all, just most. The mainstream beers have little character, to appeal to the masses, and the light beers have no taste. Microbreweries and specialty blends are where it's at for beer aficionados, in addition to imports.

But I swear I've drank American brews with more flavor than Heineken or Labatt's, so it does go both ways.