The Official Quartet Records Thread

Ollie

11 hours ago, Jay said:

Cool, I wonder what they've got!

I still cherish their Basic Instinct and Total Recall greatly!

8 hours ago, crocodile said:

Absolutely adore their release of Papillon.

Karol

All three are brilliant releases!

a_christmas_carol.jpg

€16.95

Quartet Records presents a holiday treat: the premiere CD release of a long-awaited Christmas classic!

We are all familiar with Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol—the tale of three ghosts who teach a miserly businessman the true meaning of Christmas. The 1984 version (which debuted on television in the US market) stars George C. Scott as Scrooge, along with David Warner, Susannah York, Frank Finlay and Angela Pleasence. The film was directed by Clive Donner, who edited the 1951 adaptation of the Christmas classic.

The wonderful symphonic score was composed by Nick Bicât (Stealing Heaven, Wetherby, The Scarlet Pimpernel, The Reflecting Skin)—twice nominated for a BAFTA Award—who provides yuletide joy, adaptations of classic (but not clichéd) Christmas carols as well as an original song for the end credits. The score itself is organized around the three ghosts, all of whom have their own sounds: the fun gavotte of the Ghost of Christmas Past, the fanfare for the Ghost of Christmas Present and the cold atmosphere of the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come. The album features the premiere release of the fan-favorite end-credits song: “God Bless Us Every One.”

Orchestrated and conducted by Tony Britten, this complete score release has been produced by Nick Bicât, mastered by Marc Blanes, and comes with a richly illustrated booklet with notes by Gergely Hubai discussing the film, the composer and the score. The lyrics to all the featured songs are included for you to sing along!

01. Overture (1:31)
02. Introducing Tiny Tim (1:17)
03. Marley’s Knocks (1:49)
04. The Holly and the Ivy (0:50)
05. Marley’s Ghost (4:40)
06. Marley’s Ghost Returns (2:23)
07. A Gavotte for Times Past (4:38)
08. I Saw Three Ships (1:27)
09. Wasted Youth (3:23)
10. The Spirit of Christmas Present (4:08)
11. Tiny Tim’s Life (2:41)
12. Street Scene (1:25)
13. Tiny Tim’s Steadfast (1:26)
14. Want and Need (5:15)
15. Bob Cratchit’s House (3:51)
16. In Dulce Jubilo (1:01)
17. Funeral March (1:35)
18. Scrooge Begs for Mercy (2:12)
19. Alive! (0:43)
20. Making Amends (1:47)
21. Scrooge’s Joke (0:41)
22. On Christmas Night (1:03)
23. Finale (God Bless Us Every One) (2:41)
Total Disc Time: 52:38

Limited Collector’s Edition of 500 units.

snowfall.jpg

€16.95

Quartet Records and NRK Television present another holiday treat!—a 2-CD set featuring composer Henrik Skram’s original score to the 2016 acclaimed Norwegian TV series Snøfall (Snowfall), a fantasy Christmas tale about courage, friendship and the search for belonging.

The story is about Selma, who, having lost her parents in an accident five years ago, wishes for nothing more than a family she can belong to. The letter she writes to Santa Claus turns into a paper bird which flies to Snøfall—a magical village full of wondrous people. On her journey through this enchanting Christmas fairy tale, Selma will figure out who she is and where she belongs—although it is far from what she would have ever expected.

Talented young Norwegian composer Henrik Skram (90 Minutes, Ballet Boys, Tordenskjold & Kold) provides a warm, charming, massive orchestral tour-de-force performed by the Norwegian Radio Orchestra under the baton of Matt Dunkley, in a score full of fantasy, tender melodies and impeccably tasteful writing. Fans of John Williams, James Horner or Bruce Broughton will not be disappointed!

Henrik Skram won his second Golden Screen Award for his work on this series score.

DISC ONE
01. Opening Credits (0:49)
02. Here I Live (0:50)
03. The Path To Snøfall (1:50)
04. The Garden (3:10)
05. Through the Storm (2:00)
06. Selma (2:18)
07. The Mystery in Snøfall (2:23)
08. The Dark (2:27)
09. The Hunt For Trixter (2:44)
10. Chimney Practice (1:37)
11. Winter (2:01)
12. Selma Homesick (2:10)
13. Selma & Ruth (1:27)
14. Pranks (1:43)
15. From Snøfall to WO (3:24)
16. The Marked (2:06)
17. Winter Is No Apprentice (2:08)
18. A New Day in Snøfall (1:30)
19. The Last Christmasbowl (3:47)
20. Letterbirds Arrives (1:23)
21. Christmas Eve (4:36)
Total Disc One: 46:34
DISC TWO
01. The Games (2:16)
02. Confronting Winter (3:07)
03. No Home (1:37)
04. The Mission (4:33)
05. Back To Snøfall (1:33)
06. Dark Times (1:51)
07. Home (1:27)
08. Searching for Julius (3:14)
09. Winter’s Last Drop (1:38)
10. Darkwood (2:42)
11. Attack (1:34)
12. The Plot Thickens (2:30)
13. What Happened (2:28)
14. Selma & Pil (4:06)
15. Ruth (1:45)
16. World Outside Ruth (1:33)
17. Streets (1:40)
18. Selma’s Snøfall (1:25)
19. Ruth Believes (1:41)
20. Training (1:43)
21. Yndis & Winter’s Tango (2:08)
22. Lullaby (2:13)
23. Portal (3:30)
24. Hjerterud (1:33)
25. Snow (1:34)
26. Finding Julius (2:08)
Total Disc Two: 57:42
Total 2CD Time: 104:16

Limited Collector’s Edition of 500 units.

I believe Disco Stu is fond of the former. I remember him praising it in the Last Score You Listened thread. :) 

16 minutes ago, Incanus said:

I believe Disco Stu is fond of the former. I remember him praising it in the Last Score You Listened thread. :) 

Didn't you write a review of Ballet Boys a couple of years ago?

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Didn't you write a review of Ballet Boys a couple of years ago?

Karol

Yes but that is the extent of my knowledge of Henrik Skram. The first few samples of the Snowfall sound like a mix of modern and older Christmas/fantasy material. I don't know if I am as curious as to actually purchase the score.

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

Yes one of my favorite holiday scores.  Very happy to see it getting released by a label.  Of course, I bought the CD directly through the composer a while back and this is the same album program.  I won’t be buying twice just to get a booklet this time, but still very happy others might get a copy now.

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

Yes but that is the extent of my knowledge of Henrik Skram. The first few samples of the Snowfall sound like a mix of modern and older Christmas/fantasy material. I don't know if I am as curious as to actually purchase the score.

Your knowledge exceeds mine then. ;)

Karol

Henrik Skram is a good friend of mine. His SNØFALL (SNOW FALL) is excellent, but not quite on the same level as 90 MINUTES and BALLET BOYS, IMO. The score has been available on a single-disc release for quite some time.

I don't believe they said, exactly.

It's the middle of the night where they are, though, so I wouldn't expect anything until after they wake up :P

I'll wait to see if Varese decide to release one more batch this year, as they always do it so late in December. And if not, then perhaps consider buying Rota and Goldsmith.

Karol

Stefan's link to The Orphanage is actually a second link to The Russia House, but I found the Orphanage entry on Quartet's page and its actually a completely new re-recording of the complete score, not the original recording.  Velázquez re-recorded it with the same orchestra he used for A Monster Calls, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, and Submergence.  Kind of interesting, I thought.

• 2 months later...

In about two weeks, all eyes will be on Hollywood for the 2018 Oscar ceremony. Quartet wants to celebrate the most famous film prize in the world with four new releases, all of them connected with the famous golden statuette! They will be announced this coming Friday, February 16. Stay tuned, since it is one of our best batches so far, if not the best! Lots of effort went into these special releases.

(from Quartet's facebook)

Hope there is a Williams in there!!

If "associated with" means winners only, Fiddler on the Roof is the only realistic Williams release.  Quartet isn't getting Schindler's List or Star Wars, and Jaws and ET have comprehensive expansions in print.

If the field opens up to include nominees, there are some intriguing choices.

My guess is that we won't see a Williams release here, though.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:53 PM, Disco Stu said:

Yes one of my favorite holiday scores.  Very happy to see it getting released by a label.  Of course, I bought the CD directly through the composer a while back and this is the same album program.  I won’t be buying twice just to get a booklet this time, but still very happy others might get a copy now.

Babel? By Santaolalla? Isn't the OST more than enough/too much?

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Why do you hope its not Fiddler on the Roof?

Fiddler on the Roof isn't deserving of a definitive presentation?

because I'm interested more in an original score than an adaptation!;)

38 minutes ago, Richard said:

I thought that the new-ish OST was pretty much complete. Do you know what's missing?

I have no idea whatsoever.  Never seen that film, never heard that score