The Official Quartet Records Thread

Ollie

2 minutes ago, Romão said:

I would imagine the vast majority of Europeans here who buy from Quartet are from EU countries...can't help you there

So there's no limit for free customs passage between EU countries?

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

Never had any problem myself whatsover. As far as I know, only a very few products qualify for custom charges within the EU (like cars, I reckon)

3 minutes ago, Romão said:

Never had any problem myself whatsover. As far as I know, only a very few products qualify for custom charges within the EU (like cars, I reckon)

I didn't think the customs was that free between EU states, considering Norway's a member of the EEA (incorporating the four freedoms), which implies we're follow the same rules regarding trade.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I didn't think the customs was that free between EU states, considering Norway's a member of the EEA (incorporating the four freedoms), which implies we're follow the same rules regarding trade.

Well, I never paid any customs for anything purchased within the EU. I assume there must be some sort of limit, if you're running a business or something, but on single items you wouldn't get charged. It's sort of the whole point.

Karol

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It there is, it's much higher than the biggest CD order I've placed so far, so at least for practical purposes: Correct.

I think I actually asked that question once before placing an international order. And whoever answered my query asked me: "so how many CD's are you thinking of ordering? 3000?"

Karol

33 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I think I actually asked that question once before placing an international order. And whoever answered my query asked me: "so how many CD's are you thinking of ordering? 3000?"

Well, I'm about to pay forty-something euros tax for my recent LLL order.

7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It there is, it's much higher than the biggest CD order I've placed so far, so at least for practical purposes: Correct.

7 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Well, I'm about to pay forty-something euros tax for my recent LLL order.

Aren't you contradicting yourself here?

15 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Aren't you contradicting yourself here?

No. The €44.10 tax were for a $119.92 order (plus $33.25 shipping) from LLL, i.e. from outside the EU. My biggest order so far was over $200, and even for that I wouldn't have to pay any taxes inside the EU as far as I know.

Looks like I've only ordered directly from Quartet thrice; I've picked up my other Quartet titles from SAE or MovieMusic.

Item Sku Qty Subtotal
Soapdish (Expanded) QR170 1 €16.95
Intersection (Expanded) QR177 1 €16.95
Canadian Bacon SCE066 1 €8.00
Subtotal €41.90
Shipping & Handling €9.00
Discount (30% discount) -€12.57
Grand Total €38.33

Item Sku Qty Subtotal
Tom Sawyer (2CD) QR211 1 €19.95
Total Recall (2CD) QR210 1 €21.95
Basic Instinct (2-CD) QR203 1 €21.95
Subtotal €63.85
Shipping & Handling €12.00
Grand Total €75.85

Item Sku Qty Subtotal
W.C. Fields and Me QR238 1 €16.95
The Great Waldo Pepper QR234 1 €16.95
The Last Valley QR257 1 €16.95
La Tortue Rouge QR236 1 €16.95
Subtotal €67.80
Shipping & Handling €12.00
Grand Total €79.80

Not sure if that's what you're looking for or not

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

Not sure if that's what you're looking for or not

Thanks for your reply. I'm wondering if any of your orders were above the limit where you would have to pay customs in your country, and if so, whether Quartet labeled the package in a way that avoided the customs charge.

I've never had to pay customs for anything.  I order stuff from other country's stores, and it just shows up at my house eventually >shrug<

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I've never had to pay customs for anything.  I order stuff from other country's stores, and it just shows up at my house eventually >shrug<

Good for you! Where I live, there's a limit at about 40 Euros...

How would customs know the value of what's inside a box?  I've shipped stuff to other countries before, like CDs or DVDs, and if the post office makes me fill out a customs form, I just put its a CD valued at $1 in it.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

How would customs know the value of what's inside a box?  I've shipped stuff to other countries before, like CDs or DVDs, and if the post office makes me fill out a customs form, I just put its a CD valued at $1 in it.

Stores usually follow the rules and write the actual value of the content, but some soundtrack stores, such as LLLR, help the customer to avoid customs.

Ah, I understand what you're really asking now.  It wasn't clear before.

Unfortunately, I have no memory if any customs paperwork was on the outside of the boxes I received directly from Quartet, nor what might have been written on it if there was any.  Sorry!

6 hours ago, Jay said:

And then it depends on how exact the customs people are. Recently, they've clearly mistrusted several of my "$1" labelled CD packages and opened them. That leads them to discover that no invoice is included, so they send a letter telling me to send them a copy of the invoice and payment confirmation. By the time I get the letter, the CDs have been at the customs office for 1 week+. I reply immediately, and a week later I can pick up the package at the post office in exchange for the customs fee.

It seems we all have to move to the USA to avoid this.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

And then it depends on how exact the customs people are. Recently, they've clearly mistrusted several of my "$1" labelled CD packages and opened them. That leads them to discover that no invoice is included, so they send a letter telling me to send them a copy of the invoice and payment confirmation. By the time I get the letter, the CDs have been at the customs office for 1 week+. I reply immediately, and a week later I can pick up the package at the post office in exchange for the customs fee.

LLLR always mark my packages as "commercial sample", and they've never been exposed in customs.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

LLLR always mark my packages as "commercial sample", and they've never been exposed in customs.

They didn't use to. Apparently customs have become suspicious lately.

16 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You mean they used to declare a lower value instead?

They usually didn't bother opening a cube-shaped CD-sized box that had a "$5 value" label. Now they often do.

10 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

They usually didn't bother opening a cube-shaped CD-sized box that had a "$5 value" label. Now they often do.

So you're saying LLLR did use to declare a lower value instead of writing commercial sample.

They've all been doing that for years. Used to be $1 per disc (or in total?), but at some point they apparently got complaints and at least some of them changed it to $5 per disc (which can in itself easily go over the customs threshold of slightly over €20 - but even then, customs used to ignore it). They may have ticked "commercial sample" too, or at least at the beginning perhaps. 

When calculating the customs value, you also have to include the shipping cost. That's the bit that really annoys me. I don't "like" paying taxes/customs, but I understand and support the need for them. What I don't understand is why I have to pay customs for CDs even if the CDs themselves are below the customs threshold, but the price including shipping isn't.

• 1 month later...

Quartet reissue Ennio Morricone's The Thing album.

THETHING.jpg

Quartet Records, Geffen Records and Universal Music Special Markets present the long-awaited remastered reissue of Ennio Morricone’s iconic score for the no-less-iconic John Carpenter sci-fi/horror film THE THING (1982).

Although Carpenter himself (in collaboration with Alan Howarth) had scored his five previous films, he turned to the Italian maestro to compose the original score for THE THING since it was his first film with a big studio budget.

Due to scheduling conflicts, Morricone composed the music after viewing the film before it was even complete. He recorded the synthesizer parts in Rome and the large orchestra in Los Angeles. Ultimately, more than half the score was not used in the film, and some parts were replaced by electronic music newly composed by Carpenter and Howarth. However, Morricone’s work—one of his most imaginative, claustrophobic and paranoid scores—has developed a cult following. It is one of the scores most appreciated by the composer’s fans, and also by Carpenter fans.

The original MCA album was conceived and structured by Morricone himself with all his recorded material, comprising 10 sequences that feel more like evocative movements from an opera of fear and foreboding than a conventional soundtrack album. For this reissue, we have preserved the content and order prepared by Morricone, now fully restored and remastered by Chris Malone from first-generation album master tapes courtesy of UMG. The 16-page booklet includes exclusive, in-depth liner notes by Jeff Bond.

Hurray!

The album was complete already anyway (as far as I know).

Karol

I can't think of another score that manages to conjure up a sense of unease and isolation better than this one. It's chilling (pun!) but completely listenable all the way through. Some of the high strings writing in this reminds me a bit of 1970's Williams. This album has been on my shopping list forever! I love this score so much. Even with what Carpenter did with it in the film it is still a masterpiece of horror film music.

Karol

35 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

A great and profound score to boring and superficial movie!

Hopefully, Quartet will remaster Secret of the Sahara one day.

Ooh yes please. Another magical Morricone score that is in dire need of loving boutique label treatment.

As for the film...I think you might be a bit harsh there.

Karol

For those interested, Neil S. Bulk talks about his several projects (Basic Instinct, Total Recall, and the most recent Great Train Robbery) for Quartet, including some fun behind the scenes detail, in this new Goldsmith Odyssey Interview:

http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/3978677-odyssey-interviews-neil-s-bulk-part-1
http://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/3978893-odyssey-interviews-neil-s-bulk-part-2

odyssey_interviews_neil_s_bulk.jpg

For those wondering what is unique about the new GTR, we cover a bit of that here. Enjoy!

Yavar

• 4 months later...

To celebrate the 30th anniversary, we are proud to present a 2-CD expanded, remastered edition of the original score by Maurice Jarre to Adrian Lyne’s drama-horror classic JACOB’S LADDER, a fascinating musical journey through fear and paranoia. Limited CD edition just available at www.quartetrecords.com

123287045_3551048154982160_1239950551939

https://www.facebook.com/QuartetRecords/photos/a.322124201207921/3551048151648827/

This is actually one of my favourite Maurice Jarre soundtracks. One of the few times he succeeded with synths. Superb film too.

If I ever get my interview with Jean Michel Jarre, I want to ask him if he gave his dad any tips on this. But the likelihood is low, since they weren't really on speaking terms at the time. More likely is Boddicker's influence.

• 1 month later...

Our last four releases of the year are ready and will be announced next Tuesday, December 8.

It's been a rough year for everyone, and a lot of effort went into completing these four releases, which are big ones, on time. We had two other titles prepared for this batch, but the approvals have not arrived on time, so you should have them in the first months of 2021.

Despite the situation all around, the limits and delays imposed on our work by the pandemic, and the fact that some titles are still stuck in the pipeline, we are proud of the albums we released this year to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We offer great thanks to all involved and to our loyal customers for their great support. At least, we have music. See you on Tuesday!

https://www.facebook.com/QuartetRecords/posts/3655183464568628

df7dd98f-f3cc-4864-923e-84337f28cdd4.jpg
NEW RELEASES
DECEMBER 8, 2020

Available for order at
www.quartetrecords.com

ENDLESS NIGHT

Music by BERNARD HERRMANN
BASQUE NATIONAL ORCHESTRA CONDUCTED BY FERNANDO VELÁZQUEZ

PRICE: 16,95€
IN STOCK
881c1a18-1ab5-4e8b-8d80-bc2c35aff959.jpg
Quartet Records is proud to present its second world premiere recording of a previously unreleased classic Bernard Herrmann score, following the release of THE BRIDE WORE BLACK in 2018.

Herrmann’s score for ENDLESS NIGHT looks both forward and backward in his career. Its romantic elements recall passages from THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR and VERTIGO, while its more austere aspects anticipate the more motivic-based writing of IT’S ALIVE and SISTERS. To suggest the menace beneath the romance, Herrmann used a Moog synthesizer for its wailing and otherworldly timbres. Some of the score is based on a setting of words from William Blake’s Auguries of Innocence. There is also an achingly beautiful love theme, used by Herrmann as a “red herring” in this intriguing plot, and several cues that rely on color (Herrmann was, of course, a master orchestrator) and staid harmonic progressions for their chilling effect.

Reconstructed from Herrmann’s original manuscript (provided by the publisher), the music is conducted by prestigious composer/conductor Fernando Velázquez, performed by the Basque National Orchestra, with original Moog synthesizer sessions played by Toni Saigi. We also had the incredibly good fortune of securing the magnificent voice of classical soprano Núria Rial for the vocals.

Recorded on the OSE orchestra stage in September 2019 by Marc Blanes, with additional Moog sessions in 2020, the album was produced by Edouard Dubois and Jose M. Benitez (with executive production entirely by Quartet Records) and mastered by Chris Malone. The booklet includes extensive liner notes by associate producer Frank K. DeWald, who discusses both film and score.

MIDNIGHT COWBOY (2-CD)

Music by JOHN BARRY
PRICE: 21,95€
PRE-ORDER
(
availability date 12/11/20)
073bafc4-90b8-40d2-b614-23c37afdc811.jpg
Quartet Records, in collaboration with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Capitol Records, Universal Music Enterprises and the Phil Ramone estate, present an expanded 2-CD edition of the iconic score for the landmark film MIDNIGHT COWBOY, directed by John Schlesinger in 1969, starring Dustin Hoffman and Jon Voight, and winner of three Academy Awards, including Best Picture.

The musical score of MIDNIGHT COWBOY presented a new concept, widely used in the last decades, but not in the late sixties—a combination of songs and original music wisely developed into a perfect underscore. Renowned British composer John Barry, who had already won three Oscars in 1969, appeared under the credit of "Music Supervisor," but also composed a series of original cues and supervised the entire musical concept of the film, along with legendary American producer Phil Ramone.

The song "Everybody's Talkin’," written by Fred Neil in 1966, was selected as a main theme for the film, newly recorded with arrangements by George Tipton and performed by Harry Nilsson. It became an instant classic and ultimately a generational symbol.

For this new Quartet release, the classic 1969 soundtrack album has been mastered from first-generation master tapes on Disc 1 and supplemented with new mixes made from recently discovered multi-track tapes, that includes some alternate song versions, different vocals of the Nilsson song, and alternate and single versions prepared by John Barry of his famous original theme. On Disc 2 we have included the music (both songs and score) as it appears in the film, mastered from mono elements vaulted at MGM. Score and album were in part different recordings; the harmonica solos, played by Toots Thielman in the film, were played by Tommy Reilly on the album.

This collection has been produced, restored, mixed and mastered by Chris Malone, and the 24-page booklet includes authoritative and exclusive in-depth liner notes by Jon Burlingame.

THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY (3-CD)

Music by ENNIO MORRICONE
PRICE: 29,95€
IN STOCK
b7c4973c-178e-4cd3-bf67-968b64aa67a1.jpg
Quartet Records, in collaboration with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Capitol Records and Universal Music Enterprises, is proud to present a mammoth 3-CD expanded edition of Ennio Morricone’s iconic score for the no-less iconic 1966 epic western by Sergio Leone: THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY, starring Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef and Eli Wallach.

THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY features what is probably the most instantly recognizable and famous of Morricone’s themes. But there is much more to admire in this score, such as the inventive motifs, formation of thematic material and adroit orchestrations (which the Maestro considered possibly even more important than the act of composition). The composer created his own genre and utilized the recording studio as an instrument in achieving his vision by layering trumpets and varying echo to create a sense of depth.

This score is a kaleidoscope of nature call-and-response symbols, agonized shouts, grunting male chorus, epic wordless female voice, haunting harmonica, spiritual bugling trumpets, tolling chimes, vivid surf-rock Fender guitar, and sounds imitating gunfire. It is stylized yet cinematic. It is avant-garde yet embraces traditional film scoring—with some cues scored reverently for trumpet, harmonica, strings and chorus.

The original 34-minute album has seen countless releases on LP and CD since 1966. An expanded 55-minute CD edition was released in 2001, but it was still far from including all the material that Morricone had conceived for the film. For this new Quartet release we have included all this material thanks to newly discovered original recording sessions vaulted in mono at MGM, which also include a large number of alternates, revised cues and music that was ultimately not included in the film. The original album has been included on Disc 3 for its historical value, although it has been remastered for the first time from the first-generation stereo master tapes.

The entire collection has been painstakingly restored and mastered by Chris Malone. The package includes a richly illustrated 24-page booklet with liner notes by Tim Greiving, who offers a detailed analysis of the film and score, including quotes from an exclusive interview with Clint Eastwood given especially for this release. This album is a loving tribute to the memory and impressive legacy of one of the greatest geniuses in film music history: Maestro Ennio Morricone.

A BRIDGE TOO FAR (2-CD)

Music by JOHN ADDISON
PRICE: 21,95€
IN STOCK
LIMITED EDITION 1000 units
e8aee7fe-fcdc-49ec-8114-d4d8bd7dc521.jpg
We continue celebrating the centenary of the great John Addison—this time in collaboration with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer—with an expanded 2-CD release of one of his most beloved scores (and one of his personal favorites).

A BRIDGE TOO FAR (1977) is an ambitious epic production by Joseph E. Levine for United Artists directed by Richard Attenborough, with an incredible stellar cast that includes Dirk Bogarde, Michael Caine, James Caan, Sean Connery, Elliot Gould, Gene Hackman, Anthony Hopkins, Laurence Olivier, Ryan O’Neal, Robert Redford and Liv Ullmann, among others. Based on the popular novel by Cornelius Ryan, the film chronicles Operation Market Garden, a failed attempt by the allies in the latter stages of World War II to end the war quickly by securing three bridges in the Netherlands to allow access over the Rhine into Germany.

John Addison had a very personal connection with these historical events. He served as a young soldier in the XXX Corps, a tank division that was decisive in the operation, so when he heard that Attenborough was preparing this film, he insisted on composing the score, which was his particular tribute to all his friends and colleagues who fell during this unfortunate historical episode.

Addison composed an epic march (that immediately became a war-film classic) and much exciting action music, all devised with his exquisite British taste for orchestration. He also composed a dramatic rhapsody for piano and orchestra, which was his personal homage to the fallen.

The United Artists label issued a 38-minute soundtrack album, produced by the composer and sound engineer John Richards, to coincide with the film’s release; two subsequent CD reissues have been out-of-print for years. For this Quartet release, the film score has been remixed from the original multi-tracks vaulted at MGM and includes the complete score in film order, as well as several alternates and revised versions for the film’s ultimate edit. We have also included the remastered original album that features interesting edits and additional mixes specially conceived for it. This collection has been remixed, restored and mastered by Chris Malone, and includes a 20-page booklet with liner notes by film music writer Jeff Bond.