What do you think of the Catch Me If You Can soundtrack?

diskobolus

What do you think of the Catch Me If You Can soundtrack?  

28 members have voted

1. 1.

• I love everything about it!
    • It's very good, but I disagree with some of the additional songs on it.
    • It's alright - not the best from Williams, not the worst from Williams.
    • I don't really like it.
    • It's disappointing.

This poll is closed to new votes

I must agree with Miguel. Catch Me If You Can is gorgeous!!!

I like it much more than The Two Towers or Star Trek: Nemesis :)

I especially love "The Float". It is wonderful piece of music full of energy, joy, happiness,... It makes me already very happy LOL

E-Wan

What's the deal here, why isn't this topic about The Two Towers?

Stefancos-  :)

eh...?

yeah the float is one of my favorite cues already, it strongly reminds of the mecha world. the 'catch me if you can' is also quite nice, there's a little hint of a.i. there too... i haven't seen the film yet so i dont know what glorious music composed by williams remains unreleased...

What's the deal here, why isn't this topic about The Two Towers?

Stefancos-  :(

that isn't John Williams, and it is old and boring news.

Two Towers equals :)

Joe, who thinks Catch Me is just wonderful, and who noticed that 3 of the 4 new film scores John released this year are in the car, while one is collecting dust somewhere.

As far the songs go, Sinatra's song is ok. Isn't it used in the scene at the airport? You can't go wrong with Nat King Cole and The Christmas Song. I've always thought The Girl From Ipanema was a terrible cheesy song that irritates the hell out of me. The other two I could care less about as well. That's what the skip button on a CD player is for.

Here we usualy get CDs released at the same time as in Germany or Italy, so I was worried. February?!?! But this time....

Well I just bought it today! And I love it. The score more, ofcourse, also the songs are fine as well!

Let me put it this way: I didn't fall into depression like I did listening to The Two Towers. I don't like jazz, but this score is wonderful!

I haven't seen the movie, but just picked up the score and I can't say as I care for it. I'll give it another listen or two, but it does not seem memorable to me at all.

I much prefer COS, MR, AOTC and yes TTT.

It's a hell of a fun score, seems like Williams had so much fun doing it. Very atypical for him, which ain't a bad thing, and it's perfect for the movie.

• 20 years later...

It's wild that we can see results on a poll made over two decades ago. Some of the people that voted on it might not even be alive anymore!

On 26/12/2002 at 1:54 PM, Justin said:

Justin -Who thinks some of the songs are ify.

On 26/12/2002 at 1:38 AM, JoeinAR said:

Joe, who thinks Catch Me is just wonderful, and who noticed that 3 of the 4 new film scores John released this year are in the car, while one is collecting dust somewhere.

On 25/12/2002 at 7:44 PM, #SnowyVernalSpringsEternal said:

Stefancos- :)

For someone who started using internet regularly on the mid to late 2000s, it's so funny that back in the day you had to say on your post that it was you who was writing it :D

A colleague of mine at the film magazine I occasionally work for, thinks CMIYC is one of the top 5 scores JW has ever written. I think it's even his number 1 or 2. I can't relate to that. It's a brilliant score (and film), don't get me wrong, but it's nowhere near my top 10. I'd rather return to his old 60s jazz roots instead. But the suave combination of jazz and melodrama is to die for, no doubt about it.

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

A colleague of mine at the film magazine I occasionally work for, thinks CMIYC is one of the top 5 scores JW has ever written. I think it's even his number 1 or 2. I can't relate to that. It's a brilliant score (and film), don't get me wrong, but it's nowhere near my top 10. I'd rather return to his old 60s jazz roots instead. But the suave combination of jazz and melodrama is to die for, no doubt about it.

Again a guy with another personal list. Who cares?

I personally consider CMIYC in my personal top 3 of Spielberg movies. The score is good and needs an album edition without songs. 

1 minute ago, GerateWohl said:

Again a guy with another personal list. Who cares?

It's always interesting to hear people's lists.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

It's always interesting to hear people's lists.

I am usually rather interested in the explanation of the list in case it is actually interesting and comprehensible.

If it's just an 'I don't know, I just felt like it' explanation or an 'I know what I am talking about, you can trust me' explanation the I don't care either. 

14 minutes ago, Thor said:

qualms about packaging, shipping and other meta issues

That's an extremely boring subject matter.

14 minutes ago, Thor said:

waveform comparisons

That's also mind-numbingly boring. I tend to avoid a thread for a few days when I see people are back with those waveforms.

Sadly there are no JW cds in my car these days. And AI hasn't been played in 20 years

Don't even know where the cd is.

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Crazy idea. You could actually listen to the tracks and hear what the difference is.

Yeah, you can do that after you've already used this to confirm there's a difference there that you can listen to.

I remember reading somewhere that Williams recorded very different pieces for the opening credits and perhaps other pieces in the score. Does anyone remember reading that?