John Williams' Star Wars Credit Change

none

Trying to determine when/why John Williams' Star Wars credit changed.

Most released versions look something like this:

Music by

JOHN WILLIAMS

Performed by The London Symphony Orchestra

Original Music Copyright 1977 by Fox Fanfare Music, Inc.

Asking around and this has been confirmed in the CED, english LaserDisc, english VHS 88, 2004 DVD, 2006 DVD, swedish 16mm print and a Derann super8. (if you've got access to a different version please chime in what you find)

But in the english 16mm there is no space between Williams and the London Symphony Orchestra. Something like this:

Music by

JOHN WILLIAMS

Performed by The London Symphony Orchestra

Original Music Copyright 1977 by Fox Fanfare Music, Inc.

The why might have to do with acknowledging Williams' contribution to the films. Not sure if this was something Lucas did on his own, or like the DGA ESB conflict some outside organization asked or demanded the change. Or something else entirely. To keep the credit length the same the space given to Williams was taken out of some of the later credits which had to do with Dolby, and some of the recording studios.

So guesses for the when, are somewhere between 77-81. Everything post-Episode IV seems to have the 'spaced' JW credit. So maybe they changed the credits when they made new prints to supply the blooming success of the film?

Please chime in with any theory. Also asking for possible locations the credits might have been printed out back then. Looking for alternative sources, maybe a press book or media guide. The first printing of the novel? Did they have screenplay books way back then? Looked at the LP but didn't get a sense either way.

Any ideas or angles to look into to figure out why John Williams' Star Wars credit was changed?

thanks

none

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The SE credit has different word placement, font and color, as well as the addition of a semicolon. It was obviously changed because to do so would be completely pointless.

http://members.cox.net/towner1/images/77_SW_JW_%28cropped%29.jpg

The better question is why they dropped the LSO's credit from Return of the Jedi.

The answer is obvious.

George Lucas eliminated the space between spaces so that Williams' credits will go by faster, so therefor less people will remember the name of the guy who made his films great.

ETAndElliot4Ever wrote: The better question is why they dropped the LSO's credit from Return of the Jedi.

There's an evolution to JW's SW credits. SW has these variations 'tight' and 'spaced', maybe more. In ESB JW shows up alone then LSO is faded in, spaced below. Then as you noted in RotJ they are split up. JW gets same top billing and LSO shows up way at the end. The pre-SE RotJ is more condensced as the SE RotJ gives the LSO a little more space, as the music was extended to incorporate the SE artists.

an entire thread because blank lines were deleted. wow, the doldrums ARE BACK.

Joey wrote: an entire thread because blank lines were deleted. wow, the doldrums ARE BACK.

To clarify the blank lines were added. Yes this topic is more for people interested in the evolution of the SW films, just thought because the change added emphasis to John Williams' contribution, you all might have a hypothesis.

Although most scrutiny of the SW films is about the changes between Original Trilogy and Special Editions or in the case of Star Wars, pre and post the inclusion of 'Episode IV', this credit change shows that there were modifications being made even earlier. Not surprising, but this is visual proof to go along with the audio changes previously documented.

When did the Star Wars soundtrack go gold?

When does Tintin get released???

It needs to come fast.

Be careful with what you wish for. There's gonna be a glorious two months of us Europeans teasing the American members about the wonder/disappointment that is Tintin, where new and overexcited members will post spoilers all over the place, and the board is going to be unbearable until December.

When does Tintin get released???

It needs to come fast.

Be careful with what you wish for. There's gonna be a glorious two months of us Europeans teasing the American members about the wonder/disappointment that is Tintin, where new and overexcited members will post spoilers all over the place, and the board is going to be unbearable until December.

I'm going to be soon creating a Tin Tin and War Horse subforum for all discussion of both movies until everyone's had a chance to see them, and spoilers won't be allowed on the main forums for either movie while the subofurms exist. Eventually all posts from the subforums will be merged into the main forum

I'm not too overly concerned about you guys and gals getting Tintin before me. If I really want the score bad enough before its US premier, well I have my sources.

I can wait.

I feel a bit sorry for this none chap, he doesn't deserve the ribbing, lighthearted though it is. He is coming at it from a historical perspective, after all.

Teasing?

It's gonna be payback time!

Tintin, yawn, Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Now War Horse.

And the nominee's for best Original score are Michael Giacchino for 50/50, Michael Giacchino for Cars 2, Michael Giacchino for Super 8, Michael Giacchino for Mission Impossible 4, Ghost Protocals, and John Williams for War Horse.

And the winner is John Williams for War Horse.

And the winner for best Adapted Screenplay is Richard Curtis and Lee Hall

And the winner for best Cinematography is Janusz Kaminski

And the winner for best Editing is Michael Khan

And the winner for best Director is Steven Spielberg for War Horse.

And the winner for best Picture is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2. wink. No really War Horse, no ROTK miracle here.

one last

And the nominees for best Animated Feature are Cars 2, Kung Fu Panda 2, Tintin, The Secrets of the Unicorn, and the winner is Cars 2.

In all seriousness, War Horse may be Johnny's last chance at an Oscar.

People are expecting big things from this film.

And the nominee's for best Original score are Michael Giacchino for 50/50, Michael Giacchino for Cars 2, Michael Giacchino for Super 8, Michael Giacchino for Mission Impossible 4, Ghost Protocals, and John Williams for War Horse.

What, no love for Monte Carlo?

a207919130664384c2dd70_l.jpg

What, no love for Monte Carlo?

a207919130664384c2dd70_l.jpg

There are only 5 nominee's and in my senario John gets one spot, and I had to cut one of Michaels films.

and Mark, I think War Horse might be one of those surprise pictures. It's a story that really touched Steven, and he rushed to make it. Steven John and Sentimental, it's worked for two previous Oscar scores. And while Spielberg isn't as touched by WWI as he was WWII, he will make this movie real, tough, and dramatic. It's clearly the film I'm more interested of the two. I hate motion capture animated films, they look like crap to me.

The SE credit has different word placement, font and color, as well as the addition of a semicolon. It was obviously changed because to do so would be completely pointless.

http://members.cox.net/towner1/images/77_SW_JW_%28cropped%29.jpg

The better question is why they dropped the LSO's credit from Return of the Jedi.

No, the better question is why Greedo shoots first!