First War Horse teaser trailer includes Williams score

Jay

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said it before and I will say it now: I'm really liking both the music and the cinematography. It doesn't look like typical Kaminski. I expected a different look, more his usual. Anyway, Polish cinematographers rule!

The film itself doesn't interests me as much, but I will certainly watch it. It seems more like vintage Spielberg. For better or worse.

Karol

I've been thinking about this film since the trailer appeared and hyperbole accepted - I think if Spielberg pushes the right buttons with this and his execution is solid: we could be looking at the closest thing to E.T. to come out of him since 1982. I'm very excited about seeing the movie.

Ha!

Seriously though, I've got fingers and toes crossed for this. It's perfect Spielberg material, quintessential, even. I know I probably sound daft comparing it to ET, but I'm an old romantic who pines for another tearful experience at the cinema. It's been far too long.

I can't help getting all excited and carried away at the prospect of this delivering and I make no apologies for it! If anything I'm grateful that I can still feel this way about film; unlike so many who have become so cynical and miserable at the "inevitability" of another Spielberg movie.

Well, my first impression of the music is that is a big bold JW theme like I like them

I didn't get that the first time I heard Sayuri's Theme

I was kind of in awe the first time I saw the trailer, then I must have viewed it about 25 times now

So there's definitely no "maybe I'll grow on me"

I'm more worried the TinTin traler has no JW music and it's been recorded longer

Ha!

Seriously though, I've got fingers and toes crossed for this. It's perfect Spielberg material, quintessential, even. I know I probably sound daft comparing it to ET, but I'm an old romantic who pines for another tearful experience at the cinema. It's been far too long.

I can't help getting all excited and carried away at the prospect of this delivering and I make no apologies for it! If anything I'm grateful that I can still feel this way about film; unlike so many who have become so cynical and miserable at the "inevitability" of another Spielberg movie.

Exactly how I feel too.

Honestly, I think the War Horse music (what I've heard of it) sounds like the bastard child of Saving Private Ryan and Air Force One ;)

The John and Jerry collaboration ;);)

Yes. Which I don't know if I fancy.

I'd rather he replaced the noble brass band thing with a bed of cosy Cellos. BUT I WON'T ARGUE WITH THE MAN.

I like this kind of writing (low contemplative brass). What I don't enjoy all that much however is the more typical Tim Morrison trumpet stuff (Amistad comes to mind). But, I guess, this is not about Americana so we might not get that at all.

Karol

Yes. Which I don't know if I fancy.

I'd rather he replaced the noble brass band thing with a bed of cosy Cellos. BUT I WON'T ARGUE WITH THE MAN.

I like this kind of writing (low contemplative brass). What I don't enjoy all that much however is the more typical Tim Morrison trumpet stuff (Amistad comes to mind). But, I guess, this is not about Americana so we might not get that at all.

Karol

True. I kinda hope

No doubt that I'm looking forward to this score more than Tintin now.

I never thought I'd say it but yeah, me too.

Oh wait my bad - you were referring to the scores. I think I'm still expecting even better than this from Tintin. But only because the material allows for much greater diversity - meaning action set-pieces, mystery etc.

And another thing , it doesn't seem to be music trying to "emulate" a style from a certain county (irish in Far and Away, Japanese in Memoirs..) . So more "pure" JW

Like Angela's Ashes, really.

No doubt that I'm looking forward to this score more than Tintin now.

I never thought I'd say it but yeah, me too.

I want two different scores. One emotionally gripping and one fun. It makes for a good couple, I reckon.

Karol

Ha!

I agree. I had marginal interest in seeing this before viewing the trailer. But it definitely looks like he gave this one some serious effort. But, I'm a sucker for Spielbergian sentimentalism. :)

Well I'm going to listen to DHpt2 part by Desplat .

I expect to quote myself :"nothing in there that approaches the 2 minutes of music in the War Horse trailer"

Well I'm going to listen to DHpt2 part by Desplat .

I expect to quote myself :"nothing in there that approaches the 2 minutes of music in the War Horse trailer"

With right frame in mind, you might actually enjoy it more than the first one.

Karol

Dread the film (it's not my kind of concept), but the music sounds very nice!

You are like those people who don't like fantasy films because they are not realistic!

Open your mind Thor!

Uhm, no...

It's only that I don't like live action animal films. Not that I expect this to be a FLIPPER or SKIPPY or LASSIE or BABE or something, but it's bound to have a certain degree of anthropomorphization going on. And I can't stand that. Loved those films as a kid, hate them now.

Nope, then I'd rather watch one of those brilliant BBC documentaries about animals in their natural habitat.

But it's Spielberg, and he's my favourite director, so there's bound to be SOMETHING good there. And then there's Williams, of course. If I managed to struggle my way through the 1994 BLACK BEAUTY only for Elfman's glorious music, I can take this.

For some reason, Poledouris' Lonesome Dove comes to mind when I listen to the new music. The film and score will no doubt be big fat targets for critics not named Armond White, especially for those who frown upon the genre of films exemplified by Life is Beautiful and The Boy in Striped Pajamas, but as long as the production is informed by "Spielbergian" sentimentality, rather than rooted in it (e.g., The Terminal), it should make for a good time at the movies.

The Williams music in the trailer sounds really promising. This time it's not really anything new or surprising - it's mostly as expected - but the tiny flourishes and details, the opening and closing for instance in the trailer, are amazing. Quite incredible what this guy can do with just a few notes.

The Williams music in the trailer sounds really promising. This time it's not really anything new or surprising - it's mostly as expected - but the tiny flourishes and details, the opening and closing for instance in the trailer, are amazing. Quite incredible what this guy can do with just a few notes.

On the surface, the music seems fairly generic, but it somehow makes a lasting impression.