First War Horse teaser trailer includes Williams score

Jay

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is absolutely gorgeous, and INFINITELY better than any other Hollywood score since 2008. This is music of warmth, compassion, craft and wisdom; it is the work of a truly mature master. What a breath of fresh air!

So you're not too keen on it then?

:lol:

It is always a teeth grinding moment when someone likes some piece of music without reservations you yourself might have, isn't it. ;)

(Not that you didn't like this music yourself.)

This is absolutely gorgeous, and INFINITELY better than any other Hollywood score since 2008. This is music of warmth, compassion, craft and wisdom; it is the work of a truly mature master. What a breath of fresh air!

Fanboy.

Fanboy.

Philistine!

Don't mince words Alex, tell us what you really think?

Like I said, if I didn't know Williams, then this wouldn't change it. I have heard this music many times before. Put it on The Pacific or Band Of Brothers and nobody would notice a thing. A breath of freash air, me ass! It's the 'familiarity' that people love here.

Alex

Like I said, if I didn't know Williams, then this wouldn't change it. I have heard this music many times before. Put it on The Pacific or Band Of Brothers and nobody would notice a thing. A breath of freash air, me ass! It's the 'familiarity' that people love here.

Alex

That's just on a superficial level. The theme is unmistakeably Williams. Anyways you only seem to like a few select JW scores

Fanboy.

Philistine!

Aphrodisiac!

Alex

That's just on a superficial level. The theme is unmistakeably Williams. Anyways you only seem to like a few select JW scores

Huh? What?!

Alex

Huh? What?!

We are sentimental fools when it comes to Williams, Alex. And we missed the guy. That's why we're here. :)

Karol

I'm sort of with Thor on the film's subject- but not for the sane reasons. I love The Black Stallion and think its the finest film centering around a horse ever made (beautiful photography and score too).

Like Mark O, I need to hear more of Williams' score to get a better idea. I find the music in the trailer okay but didn't resound with my like Confluence from Memoirs. But I'll take this any day over that Two Steps from Hell nonsense any day if the week!

We are sentimental fools when it comes to Williams, Alex. And we missed the guy. That's why we're here. :)

I can only repeat what I said at FSM. I hope the album (the CD) will be varied in mood and style ... with a few pop tracks of the period to break the flow. ;)

... but not for the sane reasons.

For the insane reasons?

Alex

You are the admirable counterbalance to all this JW loving nonsense that goes on around here Alex. And as Karol said the familiar John Williams sound is truly a breath of fresh air after such a long time of listening to the most murkiest dreg of film music in recent times, meaning the prevalent trends producing nothing but the same thing over and over to play it safe. Oh and before you latch on to that, I kind of like JW playing safe. Much better. ;)

The central theme in the trailer reminds me of the 5th movement of the Horn Concerto, it's even got an identical four-note phrase at the end before it goes into the 4/4 restatement. I'm loving it. So far it's reminding me of Angela's Ashes, Saving Private Ryan and the last little flute solo has a bit of a Jane Eyre vibe.

John Williams - War Horse (winner)

John Williams - The Adventures of Tintin

Howard Shore - Hugo Cabret

Alexandre Desplat - The Tree of Life

Michael Giacchino - Super 8

That's right, both Titin and War Horse will be nominated so something else will win not JW

Nope. They are both Spielberg (directed) movies.

So what happened in 1994 will happen again, and only one movie (WH) will be nominated...

If the movie is popular, and people weep for the horse, then williams might win the Oscar.

Weep for the horse people! Weep for the horse! It is time for ol' Johnny to win the Oscar!

war horse is the book about the horse name joey and Albert his lover. Sold to a drunken farmer, Joey, a beautiful red-bay foal with a distinctive cross on his nose, finds a friend in the farmer's son, Albert. His father brutally demands Joey work or be sold, so Albert gently trains him to pull the plough. But it's not enough. When war breaks out, Albert's father, needy for money for his struggling farm, sells Joey to the army, where he, like the soldiers around him, must try to cope with the horrors of the First World War. Joey and another thoroughbred horse, Topthorn, lead in a terrible cavalry charge towards the machine guns of the enemy's lines. Joey is captured by the Germans and for while he is lovingly cared for by Emilie, a young French girl and her grandfather. But he and Topthorn must pull a heavy gun, battling through the mud until Topthorn dies of exhaustion. Joey wanders in no man's land, back towards the British trench, but despite a joyful reunion with Albert, Joey is not out of danger. First tetanus threatens his life, and even then Emilie's grandfather has to bid to save him from the butcher.

The old man promised his granddaughter when she died he would find the horse she loved and buy him, but recognising Albert's love for Joey, he sells Joey back to Albert on condition he will love for him all his life - for the princely sum of one English penny.

Well, the 'lover' part....color me hooked. ;)

I'm already weeping for the horse.

Karol

I'm already weeping for Johnny.

As I said before lighten up man! You are all grumpy these days.

in the trailer seems to be a shot of the horse jumping over something and it looked (bad) CGI movement.

I hope it was the editing..and that it was real horse...

Yes, I agree, the little we hear in the trailer is a bit reminiscent of Saving Private Ryan (Omaha Beach), Angela's Ashes (Back to America), and even The Patriot (The Family Farm).

Sounds fantastic, in my opinion.

Anybody know who wrote this theme? I think this sounds great!

Up until now, this has been my favorite "horse theme"... :)

Hey there all. Now that I have been "verified" let me again state that that "Battle Cry" esque theme that many think is just in the finale is actually LACED throughout the whole score quite a bit! In many many different variations. There was also a little Irish sounding bit that came in near the end of the trailer, and that is another MAJOR theme for the score, but is expanded a LOT more than that in most cases. That was just one bar from a probably 6-8 bar theme.

There is a LOT of Celtic, or Upper English music in the score...but it's not over-done...it mixes in nicely with the gorgeous string writing Williams has done.

And the action scenes hark back to old Williams ala Raiders, Far and Away, Last Crusade. I'm telling you...this score is brilliant...can't give it enough praise.

And actually, that piano theme is the VERY last music you hear in the End Credits. It is interspersed throughout the score a TINY bit, if my memory serves, but it's not a big theme that is heard often. Hope that helps :-) I'll be awaiting apologies in written letter form (just kidding!)

Well you could not raise the expectations any higher! :lol: So many months until we get to hear this!

In hope it is better than Close Encounters, Jaws, Star Wars, E.T. and Superman all combined.

Karol - being reasonable here

In hope it is better than Close Encounters, Jaws, Star Wars, E.T. and Superman all combined.

Karol - being reasonable here

:lol:

People shouldn't raise their expectations too high . . . or they are apt to get disappointed.