First War Horse teaser trailer includes Williams score

Jay

It's going to be the bestest score ever!!!!

Now we are missing only OMGsqueefart111!!1111 from the litany of excited sounds. And hey! I provided it!

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey there all. Now that I have been "verified" let me again state that that "Battle Cry" esque theme that many think is just in the finale is actually LACED throughout the whole score quite a bit! In many many different variations. There was also a little Irish sounding bit that came in near the end of the trailer, and that is another MAJOR theme for the score, but is expanded a LOT more than that in most cases. That was just one bar from a probably 6-8 bar theme.

There is a LOT of Celtic, or Upper English music in the score...but it's not over-done...it mixes in nicely with the gorgeous string writing Williams has done.

And the action scenes hark back to old Williams ala Raiders, Far and Away, Last Crusade. I'm telling you...this score is brilliant...can't give it enough praise.

And actually, that piano theme is the VERY last music you hear in the End Credits. It is interspersed throughout the score a TINY bit, if my memory serves, but it's not a big theme that is heard often. Hope that helps :-) I'll be awaiting apologies in written letter form (just kidding!)

Strange, I could have sworn you were on here not so long ago telling us how underwhelmed you were with the score. Or maybe I'm confusing it with what you said about Tintin.

No, it was about Tintin being a typical half-baked modern blockbuster Williams. We'll see.

There is a LOT of Celtic, or Upper English music in the score...but it's not over-done...it mixes in nicely with the gorgeous string writing Williams has done.

I'm curious what this means. Is it Far and Away-type of Celtic sound or do you mean more subtle Jane Eyre/Angela's Ashes Britishness. Either would be great. Williams never really explored those nearly enough.

Karol

That's what he said about Tintin, but he also stated a few weeks later that his apreciation for Tintin had grown quite a bit

Yeah, that was Tin Tin. To be fair to Tin Tin, though, at that point I had heard only about 75% of the score but now I have heard a few more cues that are pretty good. Still though, it's your typical "quirky" Williams comedy adventure score. With some accordion, sitar, saxophone thrown in. There are a few memorable action cues, but IMO it doesn't come close to War Horse in terms of creative and intelligent content - not to mention sheer beauty.

To put it in comparable terms...

War Horse = Angela's Ashes/Raiders/Far and Away/Saving Private Ryan

Tin Tin = Funny SW Prequel moments/Terminal/SOME Cmiyc/a PINCH of Jurassic Park (my favorite cue from the film)

(not to mention the biggest hook pirate theme ripoff this side of James Horner)

Yeah, that was Tin Tin. To be fair to Tin Tin, though, at that point I had heard only about 75% of the score but now I have heard a few more cues that are pretty good. Still though, it's your typical "quirky" Williams comedy adventure score. With some accordion, sitar, saxophone thrown in. There are a few memorable action cues, but IMO it doesn't come close to War Horse in terms of creative and intelligent content - not to mention sheer beauty.

May I ask, how do you know all this?

Are you somebody in the business, one of the orchestra players, etc. etc.? :)

my reaction to hearing the trailer music: bowdown bowdown bowdown bowdown bowdown bowdown bowdown bowdown

seriously though, I like that music (though I am still looking forward to the Tin Tin more) it reminded me of a mix of henry jones theme and jurassic park

To put it in comparable terms...

Tin Tin = Funny SW Prequel moments/Terminal/SOME Cmiyc/a PINCH of Jurassic Park (my favorite cue from the film)

Is there a strong, memorable tintin theme that is "likely to become a classic" to use Conrad Pope's words?

Honestly, in my opinion, no. I mean, there is a theme...it's there...it's just...nowhere near something like Raiders or SW or another one of his "classic themes"

It's a decent theme...it works...it's neat...but it's not a classic that will go down in time.

King Mark, I edited my post to include scores

(not to mention the biggest hook pirate theme ripoff this side of James Horner)

A pinch of Jurassic Park? :blink:

You talking about the action cues, the majestic "wonder" cues, or the scene where the brachisaurus sneezes into Lex's face?

You have to understand that I must be careful in my answers to not give away actual descriptions of music as that could get me into trouble.

But I will say that the pinch of jurassic park is a bit of half-action music...more just intense (I don't mean scary) and millitaristic brass figures...except in Tin Tin it's an actual action cue that is sped up. But it's only the beginning of the cue. Trust me, if the whole of TIn Tin was on Jurassic Park's level, I wouldn't be complaining about a thing!

Listen...I won't crap on Tin Tin. It's a good solid John Williams score. But it's just that. Whereas War Horse is one that made me go "Wow...this is why I wanted to be a composer"

the trailer music actually reminds me of "My Friend the Brachiosaurus" (the OST track, not the cue as written) a bit.

You have to understand that I must be careful in my answers to not give away actual descriptions of music as that could get me into trouble.

But I will say that the pinch of jurassic park is a bit of half-action music...more just intense (I don't mean scary) and millitaristic brass figures...except in Tin Tin it's an actual action cue that is sped up. But it's only the beginning of the cue. Trust me, if the whole of TIn Tin was on Jurassic Park's level, I wouldn't be complaining about a thing!

Listen...I won't crap on Tin Tin. It's a good solid John Williams score. But it's just that. Whereas War Horse is one that made me go "Wow...this is why I wanted to be a composer"

I'm sure I'll enjoy them both. I like both sides of the composer and even stuff like Crystal Skull and The Terminal gets a lot of playtime. And CMYIC is very good actually.

Karol

Well, gotta be honest, I don't know whether to believe you or not (you might be just a troll, trying to get everybody's attention--no offense), but for now . . . I just will. I hope what you say is true, anyway. :)

Actually, Faleel, you make a good point. You know how a lot of the emotional music from Jurassic Park actually had very pop-like chords (including the main theme and journey to the island) that just perfectly worked because Williams twisted them and molded them into his own frame? A lot of War Horse has that.

DO NOT THINK I AM SAYING WAR HORSE SOUNDS LIKE POP MUSIC.

What I am saying is that the most emotional music is very chord based...but the progressions Williams uses are wonderful and surprising a lot of the time. Wonderfully done.

Josh, read above where Roald vouches for me as being the real deal. Nobody believed me at first, which is cool. I am not about to just start sending out proof willy nilly or else I will be in a pot of boiling water!

the trailer music actually reminds me of "My Friend the Brachiosaurus" (the OST track, not the cue as written) a bit.

I only thought of this track--the slightly comedic bit when the dino sneezes--because filmcomposer518 mentioned the "funny prequel moments."

But the music from the trailer doesn't remind me of "My Friend the Brachiosaurus" at all. Which part are you talking about?

Angela's Ashes, yes, Saving Private Ryan, yes, but not "Brachiosaurus."

Josh, read above where Roald vouches for me. Nobody believed me at first which is natural. I can't exactly just send out proof willy nilly or I will be in deep trouble! My advice is now that someone has staunchly vouched for me (somebody who is very respected on these boards btw), just enjoy the fact that I am confirming that War Horse is wonderful!

And you can't even tell us how you are connected to John Williams or this movie?

But it's okay, I've decided to cautiously believe you, anyway . . . especially since I want what you are saying to be true. :P

No, I can't! That could get me into trouble!! That's the same reason I am not going to post anything specific like cue names or orchestration or anything like that. I will just answer questions in general terms that wouldn't be qualified as me "leaking" soundtrack materials!!

Can you tell us a bit more about Tintin? Conrad Pope said there's a "Carl Stalling quintet" theme. Could it be the Thompsons theme?

And are both scores thematically strong? You mentioned that Tintin's Theme is good, but not a classic... How about the other themes?

I only thought of this track--the slightly comedic bit when the dino sneezes--because filmcomposer518 mentioned the "funny prequel moments."

But the music from the trailer doesn't remind me of "My Friend the Brachiosaurus" at all. Which part are you talking about?

Angela's Ashes, yes, Saving Private Ryan, yes, but not "Brachiosaurus."

0:08 of Brachiosaurus ands 0:27 of war horse

And you can't even tell us how you are connected to John Williams or this movie?

But it's okay, I've decided to cautiously believe you, anyway . . . especially since I want what you are saying to be true. :P

FilmComposer518 is THE REAL DEAL guys! I gave him a hard time at first, but the guy is who he says he is. He's proven that to me 100%. There is no doubt. FilmComposer518: bowdown and thanks forever!

OK. I decided to trust you. I am that nice a guy.

And if all we are reading is true it will be a great year for JW fans. :)

And if all we are reading is true it will be a great year for JW fans. :)

And if it won't be then we have a scapegoat to put a blame on. :P

Karol

Ha thanks again Roald!

To answer previous questions - there is a lot about Tin Tin that could be considered Carl Starling...but I would agree with you that the Thompson's theme is probably the quirkiest and most tongue in cheek. There is nothing blatantly...like...Merry Melodies theme...it's not THAT cartoony. But the Thompson's theme is dorky and quirky.

Both movies have SEVERAL themes that are easy to pick out. Even with Williams BAD themes (no bad themes in these two) you can always recognize them somehow...what can I say? The guy is a genius! I think War Horse's several themes are both more interesting, and more memorable. But Tin Tin's themes are pretty good too.

You know, it strikes me that different people have different tastes...let me list a couple of my favorite...and then least favorite Williams scores so you can get a feel for my tastes. Don't feel down on Tin Tin in any way. It's far better than KOTCS...obviously I came in contact with Tin Tin's score before War Horse...and I thought "Well...ok...it's pretty decent Williams...I'll enjoy that in the movie." But when I came in contact with War Horse I thought "Now THAT is the Williams that I have been missing for years!"

Favorites: Jaws, Empire Strikes Back, Empire of the Sun,Last Crusade, Angelas Ashes, Saving Private Ryan, Hook, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, HP3.

Least Favorite: Terminal, 1941 (other than brilliant theme), KOTCS, AOTC

Middle of the Road: CMIYC, ROTS, JFK, HP2, The Lost World.

Faleel, exactly what I am talking about! If you loved those scores, and didn't like some of my own favorites, than obviously you can know to take my taste for these two new movies with a grain of salt! The same stuff I find to be mediocre (just in my opinion) about Tin Tin, could very well be your favorite Williams material! That's the beauty of art :-)

That, I do not know. All I know is what is in the actual film. What Williams does with concert suites is later on down the road. IMO, I think Both War Horse and Tin Tin are worthy of having big suites made.

FilmComposer518, I like most of the scores you listed, though I have only heard the more "popular" scores on your list (Jurassic Park, Last Crusade, Jaws, and TESB.) while some of the others have not reached my ears (Angela's Ashes, Empire of the Sun, Saving Private Ryan and all of the Harry Potter scores) and very few on your list that I did not like but still were good/more middle of the road (Jaws, Hook, and The Lost World)

Favorites: Jaws, Empire Strikes Back, Empire of the Sun,Last Crusade, Angelas Ashes, Saving Private Ryan, Hook, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, HP3.

Least Favorite: Terminal, 1941 (other than brilliant theme), KOTCS, AOTC

Middle of the Road: CMIYC, ROTS, JFK, HP2, The Lost World.

I like all of the above.

Karol

Haha sorry. Listen...you are in for a treat with both scores when they come out soon enough. Only a few months. They are worth entry into your Williams collection! Just be happy they are good! - one of them excellent!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah this is driving me mad!

Well, that's the problem. We have to wait till the heating bills hit hard again and then no one has money for 2 new Williams scores.

I know I know. I'm really looking forward to the release. With Tintin at least I'll try not to listen until i see it in the theater. Something I find very hard to do when I've been anticipating a score for a long time. War Horse will be impossible, though, as it doesn't release in Ireland until two weeks later.

Thanks for sharing that info, FilmComposer518. Judging by your statements, I'm confident I'll love both scores, if they're as good as the oboe concerto (which americana-like prelude has come as a revelation to me). 2011 is going to be a great year for JW fans.

I have 2 small apprehensions for Tintin

Saxophone and Accordion

Somehow these are 2 instruments I don't like in film scores. It doesn't ruin The Terminal, but I'd rather it didn't have accordion.And CMIYC is too Saxophone heavy for my tastes