First War Horse teaser trailer includes Williams score

Jay

Yes, but if I share them, the whole universe will explode, so don't you dare ask for them!

I certainly won't ask you this megaupload link.

Also the final cue Flogging A Dead Horse was quite somber affair.

Strange, my CD clearly states "Passion of the Horse". Maybe it is the UK version only. Can anyone confirm this?

Karol

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No but I have Horseplay Part 1 and 2. The string section whinnying like a filly is Williams at his most jocund.

Death Of The Horse ...

Do they *have* to spoil the film?

At least we didn't get Hooper's rejected score, which featured "The Killing of the Horse"!

Not to mention "When Boy Kissed Horse" ... that featured some lame guitar twanging. Brokeback Mountain reloaded.

Strange, my CD clearly states "Passion of the Horse". Maybe it is the UK version only. Can anyone confirm this?

Hmmm, I have "Flogging a Dead Horse", too, sorry. Oh, but I got mine at Target, so it had the bonus track, "On the Horse."

Hmmm, I have "Flogging a Dead Horse", too, sorry. Oh, but I got mine at Target, so it had the bonus track, "On the Horse."

Oh, wait I just checked the CD case again. It says "A complete two-disc Academy Awards promo not for sale". It's not the CD I ordered. I'm gonna send it back!

Karol

Does your Flogging A Dead Horse contain narration? Mine has an annoying opening and closing with Robin Williams as the War Horse. Could be the European pressing though. Oh god the whinnying is annoying in this one!

Maybe you bought the Ultimate Edition instead? (Also known as the "horse of a different color" release, because it has a closeup of a blue horse's face on the front.)

I see we're still flogging the dead horse.

SNORE.

Roll on the tiny Amazon audio clips of WAR HORSE!

Those 30-second clips will not provide an accurate representation of the score as a whole! They are meaningless for determining the worth of the score!

Won't stop you tryin' though, will it.

Don't you tell me my business again!

Maybe you bought the Ultimate Edition instead? (Also known as the "horse of a different color" release, because it has a closeup of a blue horse's face on the front.)

Yeah, that's the one. It has 500-page liner notes booklet by Doug Adams.

Karol

Oh this is the Story Book version with Narration and Music from the Heartwarming tale of War Horse. But the horse is still blue in the cover. Should I call a vet or something or demand my money back?

the 30 second amazon clips of WotW were pretty accurate of what the score would be like

PRETTY DAMN GOOD THAT'S WHAT!

the 30 second amazon clips of WotW were pretty accurate of what the score would be like

But WOTW was just the same theme playing over and over again, so of course the clips were enough! War Horse sounds like it's going to be a challenging, variegated, unpredictable score that explores musical territory never before traveled by Williams or anyone else.

Yes, War Horse sounds like evolution itself. Forget chimps drinking tea - JW has scored the soundtrack to the turning of the planet through the millennia.

if it's going to be a sentimental score, I hope it's the most over the top sentimental score he ever wrote

I want the Finale to kick the butt of E.T.'s Finale

It’s really awesome melody… Missing his music so much, I can’t be patient.

And I think, this is his farewell work :(

I would have more optimism. Spielberg has new films in the pipeline for the next few years. :)

Nice to hear Williams doing a Jerry Goldsmith :)

Wonderful to hear some new JW music after all this time. Just I am not so much a fan of sus4 chords.

I like it but it is predictable, Williams fare. Sounds very much like Always 1989 movie and as others have stated Indiana Jones Father son theme. It will be interesting to see what other styles are on the soundtrack. Perhaps a 22 year regression?!

Nice to hear Williams doing a Jerry Goldsmith :)

Wonderful to hear some new JW music after all this time. Just I am not so much a fan of sus4 chords.

Hmmm.... Doesn't sound much like Goldsmith to me. Style sounds like:

Superman - Leaving Home

Always

Parts of Indiana Jones

even Forrest Gump - Silvestri but has that Americana "Copland" influence.

I'm not saying it's bad, just nothing new.

Anyhow, it will be interesting to see which direction the music takes. Hopefully it's not too gushy.

John Williams has done almost every genre there is. You will always find something comparable of his own... he can't really create something completely new anymore cause he has done it all!

So for me new just means first rate music for a random genre with new themes, great orchestration, some inspiration and amazing technical detail.

Yes, it just occurred to me, too.

The little we hear in the trailer is a bit reminiscent of Always, with the piano at the beginning and all.

But I hope WH is better than Always. :P

• 2 weeks later...

mmm the thing in the main page sound good for this score... (and not THAT good for tintin)

I think i'll end liking tintin more anyway :P

BTW who thinks that the two or three action cues...or the best of the lot WONT be in the CD? :lol:

:down:

Mutt theme has hints of lost boy's chase from hook, and there is a hook lift of...

Hold on your butts :P

If the action music sounds like jungle chase i will be very pleased :)

Listened to the War Horse trailer again after a week of not listening to it.

I think this might be a classic

It's some seriously good stuff.

That opening piano motif reminds me music from the scene, when Olivander finds Potter's wand in Philosopher's Stone. Did anyone get similar reaction?

It's some seriously good stuff.

It's the most listened trailer I've got. ;)

Karol

Depends on how good (or bad) the rest of the score is.

Mutt theme has hints of lost boy's chase from hook

Parts of it also remind me a lot of Far and Away, and that is pretty well liked, no?

If the action music sounds like jungle chase i will be very pleased :)

Definitely.

Depends on how good (or bad) the rest of the score is.

For any other composer, they might have used the best "bit" of the score (see my salvageable tracks in utterly forgettable scores thread) , but for Williams you know the rest is going to have even better parts and you'll want every note

[..] the rest is going to have even better parts and you'll want every note

...which, of course, will not be offered to you in the next 10+ years.

You never know. If the total score is only 70 minutes long, it could all be on the OST. A lot of times dramas don't need underscore for long periods of time

That is why I look forward to a new CD format being unveiled that can contain what it now takes 2 discs to hold.

Have any Williams OSTs contained complete scores? Probably SPR?

Geisha is close to complete, missing 2-3 short cues, but that's one of few Williams scores I've taken the time to compare to the film that's that close to complete.