First War Horse teaser trailer includes Williams score

Jay

Have any Williams OSTs contained complete scores? Probably SPR?

Geisha is close to complete, missing 2-3 short cues, but that's one of few Williams scores I've taken the time to compare to the film that's that close to complete.

Ummmmmmmm......

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, yeah, there are quite a few cues not accounted for, and a lot of alternates.

This reminds me that I really need to figure out what tracks 2, 7, and 10 are..

Have any Williams OSTs contained complete scores? Probably SPR?

Geisha is close to complete, missing 2-3 short cues, but that's one of few Williams scores I've taken the time to compare to the film that's that close to complete.

Ummmmmmmm......

Well, there are a lot of alternates/unused cues, but I wouldn't expect those on a commercial release. Not more than one or two.

I say this from many viewings of the film, not the cue list.

Here's some scores that are close to complete on c.d. and the ones I'm not looking specifically for expanded releases

Geisha

Terminal

Munich

Catch me if You Can

War of the World

Minority Report

Angela's Ashes

7 Years in Tibet

Schindler's List

It's the blockbuster scores( HP,Indy, Star wars) that get the crap OST's with tracks on the c.d. twice and microedits

War Horse will have a great c.d release but we'll be scrambling for unreleased music with Tintin

I dunno, the movie's only 100 minutes and a CD holds 80, I betcha the OST will be mostly complete. Unless Williams decides to only give us 40 minutes of it

I dunno, the movie's only 100 minutes and a CD holds 80, I betcha the OST will be mostly complete. Unless Williams decides to only give us 40 minutes of it

You forget that there will be a reprise of some sort. Or a shedload of music on the CD twice, like POA.

Wow, I'm late to the party. This has been out for three weeks and I'm just clueing in!

I love how the first chord (0:28) is so obviously and familiarly JW. Nobody else voices chords like that! It's rather comforting to hear. The harmonies throughout are so thick and lush.... love it.

I confess that I read the first 8 pages of this thread and then skipped to 12 and 13... but I don't think anybody mentioned the obvious reason why we all love what we've heard so much: it's a thematic horn feature. :thumbup:

The most Williamesque part IMO is the string counter line to the theme near the climax of the trailer.

Love that. With nobody really writing melodies any more, let alone countermelodies, it's that much more awesome.

The most Williamesque part IMO is the string counter line to the theme near the climax of the trailer.

Yes, I agree.

I am not sure what other JW piece this particular section reminds me of, though. Maybe the climax of "Hymn to the Fallen"? No, not quite.

• 2 weeks later...

I was late to Cowboys and Aliens, and I walked in right at the end of the War Horse trailer. :( I'm almost never late (I like to watch previews), but the one time I was was my chance to see (and more importantly, hear) the trailer in a theatre.

Here's some scores that are close to complete on c.d. and the ones I'm not looking specifically for expanded releases

Geisha

Terminal

Munich

Catch me if You Can

War of the World

Minority Report

Angela's Ashes

7 Years in Tibet

Schindler's List

It's the blockbuster scores( HP,Indy, Star wars) that get the crap OST's with tracks on the c.d. twice and microedits

War Horse will have a great c.d release but we'll be scrambling for unreleased music with Tintin

I think this is going to be a very good score, but I doubt it's gonna be gotta-have-every-little-snippet-of-it good. I think it's gonna be as good as Angela's Ashes or maybe even Memoirs.

I saw it in front of Potter. It was glorious.

Same. The first time I saw DH:2, it didn't have the trailer, but I saw it again last week, and I was heading up the side walkway into the theater and could hear the old man finishing his speech. Needless to say, I picked up the pace a bit :P

And seriously, hearing the music blasting out of those theater speakers was amazing, especially since I haven't watched the trailer in awhile.

Yes, I agree.

I am not sure what other JW piece this particular section reminds me of, though. Maybe the climax of "Hymn to the Fallen"? No, not quite.

Journey to the Island at 1:15?

Yes, I agree.

I honestly don't know what you're talking about. Is there a "string counter line" at 1:15?

Yes, I agree.

I honestly don't know what you're talking about. Is there a "string counter line" at 1:15?

Minority Report ,A New Beginning around 1.30

Sounds good!

Okay, I had listened to this a few times before, but yesterday I suddenly found myself listening to this over and over again, maybe as many as 30 times in a row. And I gotta say, I am hooked on it!

The melody is deceptively simple, and it's only Williams who can embellish a melody so much that it takes a life of its own. This is seriously good stuff. And yeah, the string counter line does remind me of the string counter line in "Hymn to the Fallen" (you know the section I am talking about).

I wonder, though, whether this was written specifially for the trailer or whether it was taken from a concert arrangement "Main Title," or something. Was this discussed here (sorry, didn't go through the entire thread).

But I sure hope the concert arrangement for the main theme is at least 5 minutes long, and preferably even longer.

In the same style as "Hymn to the Fallen," Seven Years in Tibet," and "The Patriot" (Main Title). :)

• 1 month later...