SCORE: A.I. - Artificial Intelligence (John Williams) - A Complete Score Analysis

Incanus

There is no complete cue list or slate numbers available but I think there are some pieces of the sheet music floating around, only a few cues, and that's where I got those in the analysis.

I should have underlined that the cue names are my own and mostly used in the bootlegs and Oscar Promos. They are by no means official.

There is no complete cue list or slate numbers available but I think there are some pieces of the sheet music floating around, only a few cues, and that's where I got those in the analysis.

I should have underlined that the cue names are my own and mostly used in the bootlegs and Oscar Promos. They are by no means official.

Yea I replied too quickly and didn't notice that you only had some cue names with slate numbers, and not all. For the record, this is the sheet music that is out there:

1m1A Extension [sketch]

1m2 Henry Is Selected

1m3 New Start [sketch]

1m3+4 David's Arrival

1m5 "Of Course I'm Not Sure"

1m6 Hide and Seek

1m7 David Studies Monica

2m1 Reading The Words

2m1 New Ending

2m3 Weating Perfume

2m4 Martin Is Alive

2m5 David And Martin

3m1 Canoeing With Pinocchio

8m2 The Reunion

Theme From A.I.

Yes those are the cue titles I have. It would be nice if someone who can actually read this stuff do more of analysis on what do the the Extension, Sketch and New Start and New Ending on that list contain.

Hey thanks for the info! :) I'll include that in my analysis.

I've only skimmed through this so far man but I look forward to checking it out in detail, good work :)

Perhaps I missed it but another cue name for you to include is - 1mA Cryogenics

Great another cue name found! :) Now incorporated into the analysis.

Oh and can someone tell what is the cue 1m2 Henry is Selected? Is it on the Promo or OST?

Hey thanks for the info! :) I'll include that in my analysis.

No problem, keep up the good work.

And, yes, where can anyone find 1m2? Is it possibly an unused cue?

Well we have the sheet music so somebody who can read sheet music and is familiar with the OST and promo should be able to find it if its on either.

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent analysis Incanus, to one of my favorites JW's scores of all time. It is up there with ESB as my favorite.

Unlike many, I actually liked the film. I am not close to my mother, so the theme of this film really resonates with me. The music for Monica's Theme and the Blue Fairy bring me to tears if I am in a certain mood. Now that I have children who are 6 and 8 now, this music gives a new meaning to me.

-dave

• 11 months later...

Another terrific analysis!

By the way, for the cues with the actual titles, why have the name given on the Academy Promo?

Wouldn't it be better to have the actual cue titles only, similar to what you've done with you other analysis'?

My logic was that since I did not have all the original cue titles I mentioned them in brackets for the pieces I knew them for rather than mixed both actual cue titles and names made for the promo or other sources we have. But I have made additions to the analysis when I have found new things about the music so I guess it would be more appropriate to move the cue titles in their right place as we know most of them.

Hey, Incanus, what do you think of this?

I like to call the track "Mecha, Orga, Man or Woman" by the simple cue title "Gigolo Joe."

I also like to call the following cue, "Intro to," by the title "Towards the Moon."

Good track titles in my opinion. I might incorporate them into the analysis.

• 1 month later...

I have revised the analysis a little after getting a clearer picture of the how the original cues lined up with the film. I added a few new cues to the analysis based on their original intended placement in the film as it turns out that the film makers moved some cues around quite a bit.

That really is a fantastic analysis. I love this score dearly and some of the information, particullary about how the film came to be, was new to me and was very enlightening. The Blue Fairy theme, for me, is what made this score extra special. I just thought it was so fresh, in melodic terms, when I first heard it, and I still do. So beautiful. I wish that the theme was used more, just so I could hear more variations of it with different orchestrations. However I do believe it was used just the right amount for the film, that's just the John Williams fan in me talking ;)

The Blue Fairy Theme is indeed one of my favourite musical ideas in this score, the spirituality and lyricism of the idea superb and the wealth of emotion it conveys powerful, for in the sorrow it imparts lies also a fount of beauty.

• 11 months later...

Interesting that the Maestro gave two different cues the same title (To Manhattan). I think the reason is because the two cues relate to the same idea of traveling to Manhattan.

Incanus, I think you should note that the following cue was mostly unused:

Of Course I'm Not Sure.

The last 36 seconds of the cue, which you labeled as "Intro to," was used, which then segued into the next cue, Hide and Seek.

Abandoned In the Woods (Album Version) is a concert arrangement rather than an alternate of the film cue of the same name.

Also, the film version of The Reunion could possibly be a combination of the two versions of the same cue, editorially of course.

Thank you. Duly noted. I will elaborate on those observations later in the text. :)

• 2 weeks later...

It has been fairly long since I wrote the analysis so I had to check to make comparison. As far as I can tell Barbara Bonney's solo seems to be longer on the promo (about 50 seconds or so). The OST version clocks 10:56 and the promo 11:43.

I would say that the mix is a bit different, her voice brought out a bit more on the promo take. I think we need to consult GoodMusician for these small details. He is a master when it comes to those. :)

Okay, so is there anything micro-edited out of the cue on the OST?

Should I keep both the track on the OST and the longer version?

GoodMusician has not been here for a long while. How are we gonna consult him?

Again this is probably not as accurate as you would like in actual details but I would go with the longer version since to my ears the OST version doesn't contain anything not included in the longer version.

The longer version does not contain any loops or anything like that, right?

If it does not, then the only logical conclusion would be that the OST track is missing about 50 seconds of music that was recorded.

• 1 year later...

Yes I suppose it does.

Although I will still stick to my own interpretation of certain themes.

Thank you BB. I always appreciate your harsh and cutting critique.

I am totally unappreciated in my time. You can run this whole Reviews section from this room with minimal staff for years and years. You think that kind of automation is easy? Or cheap? You know anybody who can network review sites and messageboards and write 2 million lines of analysis for what I bid for this job? Because if he can I'd like to see him try.

Nedry.png

I don't blame people for their mistakes. But I do ask that they pay for them.

HammondGlare.png

• 1 year later...

The analysis has now been revised so that it takes the LaLa-Land Records release into account. Again all suggestions and comments on improvements are welcome.

Hopefully it is of some entertainment and illumination to you!

I'll probably tinker a bit more with it (as I am wont) when I spot the inevitable typos and turns of phrase that need correcting or polishing. :P

Plus I haven't checked some of the material against the film to see how it lines up with it. I'll try to get to it one of these days.