The Romantics: Delerue le Magnificent

publicist

Since there is really shitty weather here in Berlin, i decided to start a new row of threads devoted to the more heartwrenching stuff our old Europe has to offer. Morricone and Barry will follow, but for now, Georges Delerue is the most perfect way to start. His music often has a wonderful savoir vivre and gallic spirit which makes it hard to resist. Too much of may cause acute melancholy, though.

Sorry for the fucked-up sound on INTERLUDE, Picasa YT upload just doesn't work for me. Will upload a better version soon.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. I'm just now listening to the glorious 6CD set that was released awhile back.

He didn't do suspense very well, but very few can beat his melancholic, bittersweet melodies.

Delerue was a master at tugging at the listener's heart with his music.

I'd even go as far to say he did so more than Williams could.

Nice with videos and everything, but any comments on the man and the music itself?

To be honest., i'm so grateful that people now are able to experience music emotionally, not just read dry arial sentences of what other people think about it.

Delerue, for what it's worth, was one of the most successful and intuitive french film composers. His career spanned over 30 years (the time of his untimely death in 1992) and had a natural gift for melody, often invoking gallic spirit and a certain bittersweet longing and yearning. From what is known about him, he loved human beings and life very much. As Thor said, the Wagnerian scope of huge Hollywood scores past/present was not his forte but he seldom worked in such genres, anyway.

If you are trying to get into Delerue, don't do him the disservice of reducing him on his american works. The most beautiful and exciting stuff was done for european productions.

Nice with videos and everything, but any comments on the man and the music itself?

To be honest., i'm so grateful that people now are able to experience music emotionally, not just read dry arial sentences of what other people think about it.

Delerue, for what it's worth, was one of the most successful and intuitive french film composers. His career spanned over 30 years (the time of his untimely death in 1992) and had a natural gift for melody, often invoking gallic spirit and a certain bittersweet longing and yearning. From what is known about him, he loved human beings and life very much. As Thor said, the Wagnerian scope of huge Hollywood scores past/present was not his forte but he seldom worked in such genres, anyway.

If you are trying to get into Delerue, don't do him the disservice of reducing him on his american works. The most beautiful and exciting stuff was done for european productions.

Absolutely. The 6CD set I talked about earlier is a revelation. He had lots of dissonant writing on his resume, and although that was not his strength, it was interesting to see him flex his muscles in that territory. And the jazz stuff is really cool and smooth.

I have to say, though, that it's a bit like over-eating on candy. It's absolutely bliss for a while, but then you quickly get a bit sick. I can only get through that set in different sessions.

What 6 CD set are you talking about? Is it worth getting?

Karol

Abso-freakin-lutely. While it is one of the most expensive soundrack items I've bought (largely due to heavy customs fees here in Norway), it's also among the best. Check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001II25IS/ref=s9_simh_gw_p15_d1_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0WE588NAXQGH9V8VJJH9&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

The few scores I have heard from Delerue show him to be master of beautiful melodies that simply go straight for the heart although this is certainly not the limit of his skill. I think the exposure of his American film assignments amoung film music fans is more significant and so not many know of his extensive European filmography ( I am amoung them I have to admit). I obviously have to rectify this soon as Delerue's is certainly a musical voice I would gladly want to get acquainted with.

So thank you for this thread publicist and for reminding us of this wonderful composer! :)

• 4 months later...

I've been listening to his rejected score for Something Wicked This Way Comes, and there's a real elegance to his music that Horner's replacement score doesn't have. But Delerue and Horner had a similar idea going for the "End Titles" music -- both have gorgeous string and flute pieces buoyed with an attractive harmonica solo at the beginning.

I still prefer Horner's score, but Delerue's score wasn't inferior either.

It's unfortunate that Delerue died before Zimmer's ascendancy. Would've killed to hear Delerue's take on Pirates of the Caribbean.

I doubt Jerry Bruckheimer would've allowed someone of Delerue's stature to score Black Pearl, even if he was still alive. Bruckheimer is greatly out of touch and demands the same MV/RC sound. And even with more dramatic movies like Remember the Titans, he replaces the composers with someone like Trevor Rabin. Yuck.

If I was a producer, I would let directors bring on their collaborators. For more unknown or obscure composers, I'd probably ask for a demo or two before -- but if their work is solid, I would let them work on it.