Soundtracks for Christmas?

ST-321

Anybody get any soundtracks for Christmas?

I got three that most of you probably already have. By Williams Stepmom & Sabrina and by Horner Braveheart. I haven't seen any of those films.

On DVD I got ET, Minority Report and Back to the Future. :)

What about the rest of you?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The CDs I got:

Empire of the Sun

CE3K Collector's Edition

Titanic: The Essential Film Music of James Horner

Music for a Darkened Theatre Volume 2 (Danny Elfman)

LOTR: TTT

The Planets/CE3K Suite/Also Sprach Zarathustra/Star Wars Suite

Home Alone 2: The Deluxe Edition

A wonderful haul, I'm so excited to get to listen to them all!

BTW, ST-321, I got those 3 DVDs too! I especially can't wait to see the Williams/ET features!

Ray Barnsbury

Home Alone 2 : Deluxe Edition

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Catch Me If You Can

... it was a very Williams-based list. :)

I got one which i already have LOL. It was a bit of a mistake. We had all gone christmas shopping and i picked up Rhino Superman and said "oh my god" (because its rare to find Superman on the shop shelves in England) and said to a relative "that's an idea for me (hint hint hint)". They said "oh, well we already had something else in mind for you". So i came back at the end of the day before leaving and bought it myself just incase i never saw it after. Turns out that they did buy it in the end from a different shop. So i'll get my money back on that one and probably buy the Deluxe Omen 2 score or something (because Superman is £23 here) and i may be able to buy another with that cash.

Signs - James Newton Howard

Treasure Planet - James Newton Howard

Red Dragon - Danny Elfman

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery - Song Album

Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me - Song Album

Austin Powers: More Music From The Spy Who Shagged Me - Song Album

Excellent all of them, Mark. Except "International Man of Mystery" which commited the crime of not including Nancy Sinatra's song "These Boots were Made for Walking".

As for me, I got Yo-Yo Ma Plays the Music of John Wililams. Oh, and among other things, a cellphone and one of those hats with thingies to put soda cans to drink from! Seriously!! :)

-ROSS, glad this Christmas is over.

Only one soundtrack, "Catch Me If You Can" (thanks E-Wan). But i got two dvds with Williams scores (E.T. 3 dvd set and Attack of the Clones, both from my wife).

And Merkel gave me a Comic Book, for wich I'm very greatfull.

Most of the gifts I got from everyone else, were for our baby -- at this time, still at mammy's belly :|

Yeah I was somewhat disappointed that Nancy Sinatra's song isn't on the first album. Still great songs though. I think I'll pass on Goldmember though, most of the songs are todays music by the likes of Britney Spears.

It was a huge surprise for me, because I got what I initially asked all of you here as to whether it's worth getting or not. It made my day and perhaps the whole year, because the gift was Star Wars Anthology (1993's 4-disc set)!!!

I was expecting to be gifted Catch Me If You Can, but what eats me isn't that I didn't find it under our Chrustmas pine, but more it be that I don't understand how come somebody else around here from the country I come from and live in (CR) already has that one!? It's unfairness in and of itself! I want it too! Where am I supposed to get it this soon?

By the way, thank you very much for sharing your opinion on Star Wars with me, Ray. By the very way, I am sure you'll love CE3K and Empire of the Sun!!! And together with Home Alone, they're essential and must-haves. (Who is the one who knows you so well and buys you such great gifts?)

And I think you will enjoy Danny Elfman's compilation you got for Christmas as well. Especially Sommersby, Batman I and Black Beauty excerpts are my very fave. Enjoy them all!!!

I got:

Signs

E.T. 2DVD

Am getting:

Star Wars: A New Hope SE

Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back SE (not sure about this one)

Close Encounters of The 3rd Kind SE

Justin - :|

By the way, thank you very much for sharing your opinion on Star Wars with me, Ray.

You're welcome, I'm glad to have helped.

By the very way, I am sure you'll love CE3K and Empire of the Sun!!! And together with Home Alone, they're essential and must-haves. (Who is the one who knows you so well and buys you such great gifts?)

My family and relatives make lists, so I tried to put on items that weren't too obscure. Although my aunt made a point of good-naturedly telling me just how difficult these things are to find since I'm so specific in what I'm want. :|

And I think you will enjoy Danny Elfman's compilation you got for Christmas as well. Especially Sommersby, Batman I and Black Beauty excerpts are my very fave. Enjoy them all!!!

Thank you! It will take a while to get to know them all, but I'm working on it and loving it!

Ray Barnsbury

Got the Minority Report and Attack of the Clones DVD (the idiots who packed the AotC DVD gave my mom a DVD with scratches and stuff on it, so I had to change it today). And for the soundtracks I got HPCoS.

:| Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

I think I'll pass on Goldmember though, most of the songs are todays music by the likes of Britney Spears.

You can listen to the whole soundtrack online in www.austinpowers.com

Go to the soundtrack section

Yeah Baby yeah, Austin Powers songs are the best!

CharlieSherry, who have Austin Powers 1 and 2 soundtracks as well as the scores and can imitate (and his friends love it) Fat Bast"rd and Dr. Evil

I got "Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind" Collectors edition and "The Sand Pebbles"...

And I bought "Unearthed" from E.S.Posthumus from the money I got... Anyone familiar with the music? It's great choral music, for example used in one of the trailers for Minority Report, Spiderman or Planet of the Apes... I can really recommend that disc :|

best regards

Markuz

I got a DVD player (finally!) and will be buying E.T. today. I also received another copy of The Hollywood Sound last week from a co-worker and have already exchanged it for Catch Me If You Can. :)

I can't wait for Christmas... I open my Williams CDs USUALLY on day 1 of release as soon as I get them out of the store (or mail, whatever it may be).

I got my mom a Barry Manilow boxed set and she got me The Very Best Of Fleetwood Mac though. :| Not soundtrcaks, but they are CDs... :baaa:

Oh... That Bloke sent me some great stuff, some nice CDs that I couldn't get in the States and even some old LPs (Thanks again... and you still haven't told me what you wanted in return yet!!! :) ).

OH! I did get 1 Williams score... the Superman DVD Boxed Set contains the isolated score... tremendous sound quality, but I prefer the extensive and complete Rhino presentation anyday... :)

No soundtracks this year; it was not a big CD year for me. I did get the Minority Report DVD. (As for CDs, I got Shostakovitch's 4th, 5th, and 9th symphonies conducted by Haitink, Scheherazade and Capriccio Espagnol with the LSO/Mackerras, Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet (complete ballet) with Cleveland/Maazel, and the Brandenburg concertos with the Boston Baroque/Pearlman.)

My family and relatives make lists, so I tried to put on items that weren't too obscure.  Although my aunt made a point of good-naturedly telling me just how difficult these things are to find since I'm so specific in what I'm want.  :angry:

Around here, CE3K collector's edition was very difficult to find. I can't imagine my mom or anyone among relatives buying me soundtracks at all anymore! One would guess they are aware pretty well of what I'm fond of as to music, but still, a few years ago I got "Like a Virgin" (by Madonna) only for it to be followed by R.E.M's "Out of Time" 2 years later (better than Madonna but still a far cry from what I wished to get). So I'd asked them to not buy me music and movies in years to come. Lucky you, Ray. Cherish you family! ;)

I got the Star Wars Anthology from my friend, which shocked me and embarrassed me a bit too since I would have never expected it from him (I only gifted him with a box of Earl Grey Tea.). But I so much talked about the Anthology while we were together that, you know. Still, never told me where he got it and how much it cost. But then again, I oughtn't to ask, right...?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

MORN,

I thought you had already had all Mahler's symphonies on cds. Or are the ones you got as gifts performed by different orchestras?

The rendering of Mahler's 1st up to 9th symphony that I have are all by The Czech Philharmonic Orchestra (conducted by Václav Neumann). I have the fourth in yet another copy, though; with Leonard Bernstein conducting New York Philharmonic. I would also like to complete Bernstein's recordings of all Mahler's symphonies, but it's all very expensive. Neumann's interpretation of Mahler's fourth is heavier on strings, broader yet a bit faster than Berstein's, under whom it sounds more "romantic". (Don't know why but mahler's fourth is also my "least" favorite of his).

Roman.-)

Around here, CE3K collector's edition was very difficult to find. I can't imagine my mom or anyone among relatives buying me soundtracks at all anymore!

I don't know if these stores are options where you live, but around here, I've found Barnes and Noble to have the best selection of soundtracks and score CDs, especially those that are hard to find elsewhere. Schuler Books and Music is another store that has a good selection, but I doubt it's found outside the U.S.

Ray Barnsbury

Somehow I missed this before...

My family and relatives make lists, so I tried to put on items that weren't too obscure.  Although my aunt made a point of good-naturedly telling me just how difficult these things are to find since I'm so specific in what I'm want.  :angry:

You should see my list... I've got the piece I want, the conductor, the orchestra, the label, and catelog number. Everyone -- my grandmother, aunt, and uncle -- commented on how hard they were to find. My parents didn't get the list early enough to get anything on it becuase no local stores had anything. Here's an excerpt from my list:

Bach, Brandenburg Concertos (1-6), Boston Baroque/Martin Pearlman, Telarc CD-80412

Mussorgsky, Pictures at an Exhibition and Prokofiev: Symphony No. 1 and Tchaikovsky: 1812, Chicago Symphony Orchestra/Sir George Solti, London 430 446-2

Prokofiev, Romeo and Juliet [complete ballet], Cleveland Orchestra/Lorin Maazel, London 452 970-2 [452970]

Rimsky-Korsakov, Scheherazade and Capriccio Espangol, London Symphony Orchestra/Sir Charles Mackerras, Telarc CD-80208

Around here, CE3K collector's edition was very difficult to find. I can't imagine my mom or anyone among relatives buying me soundtracks at all anymore!

I don't know if these stores are options where you live, but around here, I've found Barnes and Noble to have the best selection of soundtracks and score CDs, especially those that are hard to find elsewhere. Schuler Books and Music is another store that has a good selection, but I doubt it's found outside the U.S.

Ray Barnsbury

Yes, Barnes and Noble is the place for soundtracks in my neck of the woods as well. I was in one last week and almost bought Presumed Innocent, but picke up Catch Me if You Can instead. Now, I'm thinking I made the wrong choise.

Somehow I missed this before...
My family and relatives make lists, so I tried to put on items that weren't too obscure.  Although my aunt made a point of good-naturedly telling me just how difficult these things are to find since I'm so specific in what I'm want.  :)

You should see my list... I've got the piece I want, the conductor, the orchestra, the label, and catelog number. Everyone -- my grandmother, aunt, and uncle -- commented on how hard they were to find. My parents didn't get the list early enough to get anything on it becuase no local stores had anything. Here's an excerpt from my list:

Bach, Brandenburg Concertos (1-6), Boston Baroque/Martin Pearlman, Telarc CD-80412

Mussorgsky, Pictures at an Exhibition and Prokofiev: Symphony No. 1 and Tchaikovsky: 1812, Chicago Symphony Orchestra/Sir George Solti, London 430 446-2

Prokofiev, Romeo and Juliet [complete ballet], Cleveland Orchestra/Lorin Maazel, London 452 970-2 [452970]

Rimsky-Korsakov, Scheherazade and Capriccio Espangol, London Symphony Orchestra/Sir Charles Mackerras, Telarc CD-80208

LOL You beat me, that is pretty darn specific! I pity the eldery, vison-impaired relatives who have to search for those tiny catalog numbers!

Ray Barnsbury

To ST-321:

If I were you, ST-321, I'd be grateful for CMIYC (I still don't have it). I would have thought I hadn't made a choice that wrong. Although I like the theme written for the Presumed Innocent a lot, on CD it gets very repetitive, with a little insignificant variation of it through out the score. I hadn't realized for long how marvellous the theme in Presumed Innocent is, though.

Well, I only heard "the Float" from CMIYC, but even if this were a lonesome stand-out cue of the score, I would buy the score for this singular cue plus the period songs. I love Frank Sinatra's songs, at least so many of them!

To Ray:

Alas, the market places you mention are not to be stumbled upon around here. The wall-marts where I buy the CDs are usually quite behindhand as to topicality of titles, but moreover, they usually offer merely smash-hits stuff in an abundant loads like TITANIC, DIE ANOTHER DAY, LOTR, POTTER (this one I truly welcomed). I usually end up ordering soundtracks from Czech Internet shops, not everything is available through them though, so I hardcore JW fan will likely never have Home Alone Deluxe, Towering Inferno, The Fury,... yes, there are countless Williams and non-Williams scores that I can but dream of.

To every single one of you (John Williams counted in):

Anyway, thank you all for talking a bit to me this year. I am this board's newcomer and I like it here a lot. Hope you all have a happy New Year and may we wish that the year of 2003 be better than 2002 especially in what didn't turn out that well.

So I wish you all well-being, healthiness as good as to be fit as a fiddle, sharp ear and good sense.

:)

Roman aka Yoda L.-)

To every single one of you (John Williams counted in):

Anyway, thank you all for talking a bit to me this year. I am this board's newcomer and I like it here a lot. Hope you all have a happy New Year and may we wish that the year of 2003 be better than 2002 especially in what didn't turn out that well.

So I wish you all well-being, healthiness as good as to be fit as a fiddle, sharp ear and good sense.

:)  

Roman aka Yoda L.-)

I've enjoyed talking to you, and am glad you're liking it here. Same wishes to you for a happy new year! :mrgreen:

Ray Barnsbury

Mr. Longbottom, I presume? Anyway, I like it a lot! Although sounding a tad repetitive after a while ( ;) ), it has some really great music, and has increased my faith in Horner. One that I hadn't heard before that stands out in particular is Legends of the Fall: The Ludlows. Such a lovely theme, especially when played on the piano in the beginning. I'm a sucker for piano solos like that and The Rocketeer, although the latter is unfortunately played much slower than the OST version. But I am enjoying the compilataion very much. :)

Ray Barnsbury

I got:

Catch Me If You Can

Home Alone

Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers

Symphony No 1: The Lord Of The Rings by Johan De Meij

The Hunt For Red October

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Hart's War

~Conor

That's a great haul, and you tied me for seven albums. ;)

Yeah, the funny thing about Horner is that much of his music does sound the same (as everyone has argued to no end), but it is so effective and beautiful (as many have argued, as well).  

~Conor

Well said. That's why I don't really mind hearing the occaisional repetitions in his music, it's so good. If it sucked and repeated itself, that would be another thing. :)

Ray Barnsbury

Mr. Longbottom, I presume?

Hi! Nope, it wasn't me (the Guest). :wow:

BUT! You don't have the Legends of the Fall soundtrack? I am not much of a Horner fan but this is such a terrific work by James Horner! The whole album is awesome, with many themes being constantly reused in composer's own discography that would come. In the opening titles, for example, Love Theme from TITANIC has a wonderful appearance, as is the case with hints of Braveheart in one track later on. Track #5, Samuel's Death, will blow you off your seat while it states the theme in all its majesty! It beats everything in Lord of the Rings, only Shore managed to squeeze a little bit more power into his dramatic pieces. Oh God, The Ludlows! Yes, a touching cue, yet very bold. I love the violin that closes out the track, too.

Get the album if you can. You won't be disappointed. But if you find it boring, send it to me (wouldn't mind having two :D ) and I will cover all expenses you have had buying/sending it to me. But, dare I say, as far as I 've known you so far, oh you're gonna find it beautiful!

Or I'm gonna burn it for you, but you should not have problems getting it where you live. The London Symphony Orchestra had a lot of great material to work with, concerning The Legends soundtrack. When an emotional or touching theme appears, I sometimes shed a few tears. With Williams it happens quite often (Fawkes' theme be the latest of them), but with Horner it has happened to me only with Legends and almost, almost with Braveheart.

Well, I said that "Samuel's Death" beats everything in LOTR scores. But it was somewhat an unwary statement, because it beats all but The Breaking Of The Fellowship song, "In Dreams", sung by unrivaled voice of Edward Ross, which in and of itself is perhaps the best non-Williams cue I've heard in years. But then again, the Legends of the Fall profits from being a well-balanced score.

I only got Star Trek: Nemesis OST and Outland/Capricorn One, and the ST III DVD. I was hoping for the TTT. But we were short on money this year.

Mr. Longbottom, I presume?

Hi! Nope, it wasn't me (the Guest). :wow:

BUT! You don't have the Legends of the Fall soundtrack? I am not much of a Horner fan but this is such a terrific work by James Horner! The whole album is awesome, with many themes being constantly reused in composer's own discography that would come. In the opening titles, for example, Love Theme from TITANIC has a wonderful appearance, as is the case with hints of Braveheart in one track later on. Track #5, Samuel's Death, will blow you off your seat while it states the theme in all its majesty! It beats everything in Lord of the Rings, only Shore managed to squeeze a little bit more power into his dramatic pieces. Oh God, The Ludlows! Yes, a touching cue, yet very bold. I love the violin that closes out the track, too.

Get the album if you can. You won't be disappointed. But if you find it boring, send it to me (wouldn't mind having two :dance: ) and I will cover all expenses you have had buying/sending it to me. But, dare I say, as far as I 've known you so far, oh you're gonna find it beautiful!

Or I'm gonna burn it for you, but you should not have problems getting it where you live. The London Symphony Orchestra had a lot of great material to work with, concerning The Legends soundtrack. When an emotional or touching theme appears, I sometimes shed a few tears. With Williams it happens quite often (Fawkes' theme be the latest of them), but with Horner it has happened to me only with Legends and almost, almost with Braveheart.

Wow, it sounds great, I will definitely put it on my priority list. Thanks for the recommendation!

BTW, Fawkes the Phoenix is the most recent piece that has caused tears in my eyes, as well. To me, that's Johnny's best theme in a long time.

Ray Barnsbury

Oh sorry, that guest was me, an old friend. Some people remember me as HornerIsTheMan. :sigh:

By the way Ray, tracks on compilations are never as good as the originals. So anything you like on there, you'll probably like the original even better. But I hope to get my hands on a copy of that particular one myself and check it out.

And yes, Legends of the Fall is surely one of the greatest scores ever.

Hmmmm,an intruder from the Hornershrine.Maybe we should do something about this.

K.M.Concerned.

Oh sorry, that guest was me, an old friend.  Some people remember me as HornerIsTheMan.    ;)  

By the way Ray, tracks on compilations are never as good as the originals.  So anything you like on there, you'll probably like the original even better.  But I hope to get my hands on a copy of that particular one myself and check it out.

I remember you, you go to college with Harry! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH POTTER?!?!?!?!

Ray Barnsbury-suspicious