1941 - 2CD Expanded Score by La-La Land Records

John Takis

From MV on the FSM forum:

At the beginning of the year we were racing toward Comic Con with 6 titles, hoping that at least 3 or 4 would make it in time. As the days grew closer and the problems/delays started to mount up on some of those titles, we started to rethink our approach. Once mid June hit and we realized that only 1 of those titles was actually going to be done, we decided "WHAT THE HELL", unleash the Chosen One early to the world. Four of those titles will not be done in time for the Con.

These four titles were going to be:

Batman Forever Expanded Archival Collection

Forever Young Expanded Archival Collection

Space Above and Beyond (3 cd set)

1941 (2 cd set)

Those titles are still coming -- When? Who knows....but they are in the chute.

Needless to say, no one is more excited about this than me. :) (And no, I didn't write the notes ... I just REALLY LOVE the score, and know this is going to be a real revelation!)

This, combined with more Shirley Walker, is the most excellent news one could hope for in one day!

Damn you John - beat me by minutes!!

BTW, are you doing the liner notes for any of those releases?

Damn you John - beat me by minutes!!

BTW, are you doing the liner notes for any of those releases?

BATMAN FOREVER, as has been previously announced.

Cool! There will be an official release that doesn't have that "My name is <whatever>, and don't you forget it!" shit at the end. I can't even listen to it at all because of that. And the iso score rips sounds pretty bad.

Awesome! I had no idea that there was enough unreleased music to warrant a second disc.

Er, the isolated score on the laserdisc/DVD alone runs longer than one CD

I presume this new set will include the complete score starting on disc 1, ending on disc 2, with no cannonade/dialogue throughout. Then any alternates, and then the complete original LP, with the cannonade and dialogue, to close out the second disc.

Oh hell yeah!!!!!!

And please please please please present the end credits and the march without those damn explosions. If you want to include them as an alternate that's fine.

Wow such wonderful news! :)

It is such a crazy and energetic score.

Awesome! I had no idea that there was enough unreleased music to warrant a second disc.

I would imagine the original album, or the cues with the explosions and Belushi's "I'm Wild Bill... line at the end of the end Credits will be included. Who knows, maybe a reconstruction of the opening scene with the tracked music from Jaws and source cues from that era may be presented as well.

As if the 1941 news isn't exciting enough, this could mean the door is open for other Williams/Spielberg collaborations owned by Universal!!!!!!!

They are:

The Sugarland Express (1974)

Jaws (1975)

1941 (1979)

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

Always (1989)

Jurassic Park (1993)

Schindler's List (1993)

The Lost World (1997)

Munich (2005)

As if the 1941 news isn't exciting enough, this could mean the door is open for other Williams/Spielberg collaborations owned by Universal!!!!!!!

They are:

Jaws (1975)

1941 (1979)

Always (1989)

Jurassic Park (1993)

Schindler's List (1993)

The Lost World (1997)

Munich (2005)

Seriously, that IS exciting..! :D

what's problem/delays?

something that could prevent a release after all?

Geez, just after I ripped the ET iso score from Laserdisc, they bring out another release of it!

They still won't get the right version of E.T, is Dying

Delays are most often caused by the studios being slow to approve the artwork, or requesting changes to the artwork.

They are:

Jaws (1975)

1941 (1979)

Always (1989)

Jurassic Park (1993)

Schindler's List (1993)

The Lost World (1997)

Munich (2005)

All would be instant purchased. Shoot, they could tell me they were all coming in the next 24 months and I'd give them my money now if necessary.

what's problem/delays?

something that could prevent a release after all?

Geez, just after I ripped the ET iso score from Laserdisc, they bring out another release of it!

They still won't get the right version of E.T, is Dying

Surely Mike Matessino is involved in 1941, and would be hired for all the Spielberg/Williams stuff, so the releases will all be perfect.

Never cared much for 1941, neither score nor film. I have the film on DVD (just because I'm such a hardcore Spielberg fan), but I find it gratingly noisy. The same goes for the score, which adds fuel to fire. I barely get through the existing Varese disc, so an expansion is obviously not for me. But the possibility of opening the Universal vaults for completely unreleased Williams scores is tantalizing. Maybe someone can convince Williams to let go of SUGARLAND, even.

Never cared much for 1941, neither score nor film. I have the film on DVD (just because I'm such a hardcore Spielberg fan), but I find it gratingly noisy. The same goes for the score, which adds fuel to fire. I barely get through the existing Varese disc, so an expansion is obviously not for me. But the possibility of opening the Universal vaults for completely unreleased Williams scores is tantalizing. Maybe someone can convince Williams to let go of SUGARLAND, even.

I've been waiting for this post. ;)

Karol

This the third thing you can be certain of. The other two being taxes and death. And maybe Koray's soundtrack shopping spree. ;)

Karol

Excellent! I'm only familiar with the main theme (as recorded for the Spielberg/Williams Collaboration album), but I certainly love that theme, and I've been wanting to get into the score itself for a while. I guess it's a good thing I held off...now I'll be able to just buy one perfect release and be done with it. :D Bring it on, La-La Land!

Not really.

He's been rather coy to the point where he would like to do it but there remains the obstacle of Spielberg and Williams and their approval. That's the way i read it. Plus he's been playful in the past.

I'd say the odds are favorable to get it done but I'm not holding my breath.To get 1941 and Hook within the same calender year would be magnificent, so we'll see.

Remember after the release of Home Alone on its 10th anniversary, he said something along the lines of Hook's 10th anniversary not being until 2011? In context it seemed pretty clear that he was hinting at a future release.

At the very least, that's how everybody has been interpreting it, and if MV was really just joking when he said that, I think he would have made that clear so as not to dissapoint Hook fans.

these delays, whatever they are...

"When we were working on the album, Mr Williams had some great suggestions to improve the listening experience..."

;)