1941 - 2CD Expanded Score by La-La Land Records

John Takis

It's an important score that needs a full release.

It's the first collaboration between Spielberg and Williams. The movie is good too.

ITs nice to see you really have a 'fan' side that wpould like the composer's desires be overriden :P

It's the first collaboration between Spielberg and Williams. The movie is good too.

Agreed.

It's not that interesting a score, though (beyond the theme, which has been released several times).

Hmmm...Thor not interested in a 2 cd set, who's have thunk it?

I'm not sure that's accurate.

Thor is a self-acknowledged fan of Pink Floyd and rock music as "concept albums" that tell a story in their earliest form as the artists intended, or something like that.

So for Thor to not be interested in a 2 CD set like, say, "The Wall" would be very surprising. Now whether it's too long for him to remain interested and invested for the whole thing...

THE WALL rocks!

I have plenty of multiple-CD sets, of course (duh!), but very few multiple-CD C&C's (mostly those that also have the album program).

So, I guess that you are NOT going to get the "Immersion" box set of "The Wall"?

Horray!!!!! A half-forgotten, and oft-dissed masterpiece finally gets its due!!!!

Oh hell yeah!!!!!!

And please please please please present the end credits and the march without those damn explosions. If you want to include them as an alternate that's fine.

...and both film and album versions of "Swing, Swing, Swing", please!

What's the difference between the two?

The album version contains a string section, the film version does not.

I'd also like it to contain "In The Mood", and "Down By The Ohio".

ITs nice to see you really have a 'fan' side that wpould like the composer's desires be overriden :P

I want all the music.

As disappointed as I am though, I do respect Williams' wishes.

Besides I've had a copy of the sessions for 15 years. ;)

I want all the music.

As disappointed as I am though, I do respect Williams' wishes.

Besides I've had a copy of the sessions for 15 years. ;)

:eek: You've got the "1941" sessions?????!!!!! :eek:

Please tell me where you live, Mark so I can come round and steal it - ahem - I mean listen to it.

So, I guess that you are NOT going to get the "Immersion" box set of "The Wall"?

Nope. I'm content with my old, fat 2CD set that I purchased oh, what, 15 years ago?

I wonder why most of never made an attempt at a complete score using the various boots and isolated scores. Well except John Takis

I just got a straight recording of the isolated DVD score

Mike Matessino posted on FSM, that the End Credits will be included both with and without cannon sounds.

Anyone not excited about 1941 needs to turn in their JW membership card.

Mike Matessino posted on FSM, that the End Credits will be included both with and without cannon sounds.

Anyone not excited about 1941 needs to turn in their JW membership card.

INDEED

Really?

;)

1941 is somewhat of a grail for me. The isolated score has been a decent substitute but I think the original album is a very poor representation of the score, not to mention the annoying explosions and Belushi's dialogue at the end of the End Credits.

And I'm curious to hear all the cues in their full form.

And I saw this from Michael Matessino at FSM. http://www.filmscore...80405&archive=0

Rest assured you will get the end credits both with and without cannons, leaving it up to the listener to decide if the cannons are canon.

Mike

Sugarland not 1941.

Luke and I were talking about that one.

:eek: What???!!! You've got "The Sugarland Express" sessions????!!!!! :eek:

Please tell me where you live, Mark, so I can come round and steal it - ahem - I mean listen to it.

There's been a boot for a long time, just not good sounding

Yeah, but that's certainly not recording session sound quality (like the FAMILY PLOT that was released a couple of years before the legit release). I had no idea there existed such a bootleg version out there.

[

Please tell me where you live, Mark, so I can come round and steal it - ahem - I mean listen to it.

Good luck. ;)

In all seriousness though, many years ago I used exchange scores with someone who had connections. It's all on cassette tapes and there are no track listings and the music goes on and on and on.

There's been a boot for a long time, just not good sounding

Yeah, but that's certainly not recording session sound quality (like the FAMILY PLOT that was released a couple of years before the legit release). I had no idea there existed such a bootleg version out there.

no but the "poor sounding boot" can be considered to be the "recording sessions". Just a bad quality cassette recording of it...like Hook and Last Crusade .Back in the days it wasn't possible to transfer these things in better quality

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder why most of never made an attempt at a complete score using the various boots and isolated scores. Well except John Takis

I often wondered this myself. ;) I always found the isolated score on its own to be completely unsatisfying as a listening experience, given the rampant tracking and editing. In any case, I have every confidence that my former editing guide is about to be rendered THOROUGHLY obsolete...

My friend and I tried when the Signature Edition Laserdisc was first released. We gave up after several hours and just ripped it direct.

Cool! There will be an official release that doesn't have that "My name is <whatever>, and don't you forget it!" shit at the end. I can't even listen to it at all because of that. And the iso score rips sounds pretty bad.

I hope both versions are on the disc, I'm rather partial the brief bit of vocal (much like I like having and not having Spock's narration at the end of ST:WoK).

Regardless I am really looking forward to this release, 1941 has been a guilty pleasure since I first saw it on TV many eons ago.

Actually it was Mike Matessino who confirmed that both versions are on the release. So you can decide for yourself are "cannons canon". ;)

• 1 month later...
LA-LA LAND RECORDS WANTS YOU to join us for a special 35mm screening of Steven Spielberg's Comedy Spectacular 1941 in celebration of our release of the 2CD expanded soundtrack of JOHN WILLIAMS' legendary score.

Sunday, Sept 25th, 7:30pm at The Cinefamily in Hollywood, CA

Q&A with SPECIAL GUESTS (to be announced) following the film.

Tickets are $10. GET THEM AT THE CINEFAMILY WEBSITE NOW -- IT WILL SELL OUT, SO ACT QUICKLY!

http://www.cinefamily.org/

The 2CD 1941 soundtrack will be AVAILABLE FOR SALE AT THE SCREENING ($30 cash).

It will be officially released by La-La Land on Tues, Sept 27.

rev1941screeningflyer96.jpg

We hope this will be the first of many screenings we are able to do in tandem with our releases. We almost did one for Commando, but could not get it scheduled in time.

MV

Oh man how I wish I could attend this! I should have moved to LA years ago....

If LLL does this for Hook, I might just buy a plane ticket wink.gif

To address some questions

3500 units

Yes, 1941 is a Titus work

As far as we know they never struck a film print of the extended version

The Hook screening is gonna be - - - wait a second. You trying to trick me?

Why I oughtta. . .

MV

Not to turn this thread into something else but...

My friend at work just learned about the 1941 set coming out. He was curious if the song Williams penned for Louis Bellson "Swing, Swing, Swing" will be on the set? Normally, songs are left off but since Williams was involved in writing it...

On disc 1 and disc 2. smile.gif

MV

1941 SCREENING PANEL ANNOUNCMENT:

Soundtrack re-issue producer Mike Matessino will host a Q&A with co-writer Bob Gale and stars Nancy Allen and Eddie Deezen after the show

Tickets are almost sold out.

MV

Bob Gale and Nancy Allen will be a part of the panel!

1941 SCREENING PANEL ANNOUNCMENT: Soundtrack re-issue producer Mike Matessino will host a Q&A with co-writer Bob Gale and stars Nancy Allen and Eddie Deezen after the show!

Join us for this special 35mm screening of 1941! Sunday, Sept 25th, 7:30pm at The Cinefamily in Hollywood, CA. Get your tickets now at www.cinefamily.org

The 2-CD 1941 soundtrack will be available for purchase at the screening. ($30 cash). It will be officially released by La-La Land on Sept. 27th.

Also, here is the new monkey avatar MV is using on the FSM boards:

1801m.gif

And Ozman posted a large version of an unused 1941 avatar on his facebook page:

30689326186856718144711.jpg

Cool art work.

It is so cool that this is just around the corner! :) Some "new" Williams to ease the wait for Tintin and Warhorse. Such a rambuntious score but boy when its on full gear it is fantastic in its patriotic zaniness.

Now if they would announce Hook already, this year would be perfect. :P

More info from MV:

1941 EXPANDED -- 2 Disc set

Music by John Williams

LLLCD 1179

Limited Edition of 3500 units

Retail Price: $29.98

Produced and assembled by Mike Matessino

Produced for Sony Music by Didier C. Deutsch

Mastered by Mark Wilder at Battery Studios

Liner Notes by Mike Matessino

Art Direction by Jim Titus

La-La Land Records, in association with Sony Music and Universal Pictures, presents the remastered and expanded 2-CD SET of Academy Award-Winning composer John Williams’ (JAWS, BLACK SUNDAY, STAR WARS, RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK) amazing score to the 1979 Universal Pictures and Columbia Pictures comedy spectacular 1941, starring Dan Aykroyd, Ned Betty, John Belushi and Warren Oats, and directed by Steven Spielberg. Williams provides a delightful, full-on orchestra assault (featuring one of the most infectious marches ever written for film) to compliment this cult-classic’s slapstick tapestry of WWII-era paranoia exploding in Hollywood. This special release is expanded by more than 70 minutes with never-before-released music, including alternates and source cues. The original 1979 album presentation is also presented on disc 2, remastered. 1941 Re-issue producer Mike Matessino provides in-depth liner notes with new comments from the film’s co-writer, Bob Gale.

http://www.filmscore...mID=1&archive=0

HI there! just checking in, so you know i'm still alive!

Those 70 unreleased minutes mean in vynil-CD or including the ISO score?

Because that's a huge ammount of music if they have taken into consideration the iso score...

PD: NICE new homepage and boards, thanks to everyone involved :)

HI there! just checking in, so you know i'm still alive!

Those 70 unreleased minutes mean in vynil-CD or including the ISO score?

Because that's a huge ammount of music if they have taken into consideration the iso score...

PD: NICE new homepage and boards, thanks to everyone involved :)

I think they mean the original presentation on the OST album, not the laserdisc (or was it DVD?) isolated score. So the score runs little over 100 minutes in full form if you count the alternates and source music I guess.

The Iso score had a lot of tracked and edited stuff, so you can't really use that as a guideline.

Well I think you can use it as an approximate guide for calculating the length of the score. More than 70 minutes of new music + the 38 minute OST clocks also over 100 minutes.

damn, i dont know how im going to get 1941.

i can only access internet right now via the varsity's wifi. Uni closes at 21 hrs, and this gets online at 22.

Will i have to one hour wait inside the car or seated in a bench waiting for it...

It won't sell out in 24 hours or anything, you got time.

I don't mind ordering an extra copy for you if you're worried, though

The Iso score had a lot of tracked and edited stuff, so you can't really use that as a guideline.

Well I think you can use it as an approximate guide for calculating the length of the score. More than 70 minutes of new music + the 38 minute OST clocks also over 100 minutes.

I'm quite sure the complete film score will fit on a single disc, since it should clock roughly around 80 minutes (unless there's a boatload of unused/dialed out cues).

So, my guess is: complete film score on Disc 1 and OST album + alternate/outtake/source cues on Disc 2.

Yes that is my guess as well and it is in line with the previous LLL releases if the complete score can fit on a single disc.

Yes for some reason they left the final battle cues and finale to the second disc. Which is kind of odd way to present the music. Dividing the complete film score and the album presentation on their own separate discs would have made sense as there was room for it on the first disc.

Agreed. But it was an early release, and they've done things differently ever since

And it is a good sign when we, the nit picky film music fans, do not have worse things to complain about than the division of tracks between discs. :)

So I was right in the end :)

By golly you were. :)

Given their release formula it was not unexpected but a good call none the less.