1941 - 2CD Expanded Score by La-La Land Records

John Takis

It will go up for sale at 1pm PST (4pm EST) on Tuesday September 27th at http://www.lalalandrecords.com

Shortly after that, you can buy it through Screen Archives Entertainment, Movie Music, or Intrada.

---

Neil Bulk was at the screening last night and had this to say:

It was a fantastic event! The print was pristine. The crowd was very much into the movie, with lots of laughter and applause. All of the guests (Bob Gale, Eddie Deezen and Chris Soldo) told funny, entertaining stories. It was a home run evening!

Neil

I feel like this will be a JW release that sells out quickly, like Poseidon or SpaceCamp.

Those other ones were limited, OOP and expensive for a long time, so they were natural impulse buys for fans who'd never acquired them and those...other types.

1941 is a damned Spielberg/Williams collaboration. I feel like this is bigger than those other ones, even Family Plot.

Well, Poseidon and SpaceCamp were limited to 3,000 copies, while this one is, like Home Alone, limited to 3500. And Home Alone is still in print....

I feel like Home Alone wasn't a major enough CD to sell out. I didn't see it happening since Home Alone 2 took many years to sell out. The average listener wouldn't have jumped on expanded Home Alone since the additions to the extremely affordable album weren't as significant. At least, for casual listeners as opposed to obsessive fans like myself, which is a niche market, even among the film score community in this case.

Poseidon Adventure and SpaceCamp were both really hard to find before they were released. 1941 is still relatively easy to find, so it won't feel like it's a one time opportunity (even if it is). So I don't think it'll sell out that fast. Also it's $30, which will detract a lot of buyers.

I think it'll stay around for a few months at least.

Anyone else notice the random Hook reference in the exclusive JW FAN interview? Hmm...

Where all of Williams’ original cue titles used for this release?

“Service Tunes” was a cue sheet title. The manuscript had it as “Various Service Tunes Etc.” Two other cue titles were shortened by one word for, as Captain Hook might say, reasons of good form. No titles were “made up.”

Speaking of 1941, what do you guys think of Williams' own re-recording of "The Battle of Hollywood" on the Williams on Williams album?

Personally, I adore it. It's a great re-recording--the BPO playing is top-notch and Williams gets the tempo exacly right. It maybe sacrifices a bit of the harshness of the original film performance, but it has an energy all of its own. I love also the little extensions Williams wrote specifically for this recording, especially the lovely Jaws motif quote at the end and the hint at Jerry Whiting's "Hooray for Hollywood" (curiously enough, a piece that Williams re-arranged himself for the Pops a few years earlier).

Interesting that they have a PDF of the musicians who performed the score on the LLL website. I was wondering why they weren't listed in the booklet

Ordered! And from the SAE site which had it up for order almost as soon as LLL did. :)

Man hearing this score in complete form will be so awesome! I can't wait! :D

Looks good. I presume the design is by the guy who did Home Alone last year (which was one of the best looking La-La Land releases)?

Karol

Looks extremely good :) I love the cover in particular.

Jim Titus did the artwork for the release. He's the best!

Oh, and the original LP cover is fully reproduced in the booklet as well

Looks good. I presume the design is by the guy who did Home Alone last year (which was one of the best looking La-La Land releases)?

Karol

It seems that way. The guy who did the Home Alone artwork is really good. I wish LLL would use him all the time. I really don't care too much for Mark Banning's artwork.

Sooooooooo ordered. As someone who's really only familiar with the delightful march, I'm really looking forward to getting familiar with the whole score. The samples sound absolutely wonderful. I'm trying not to think about it, but it's reminding me yet again that with modern technology in capable hands, it's possible to make older Williams recordings sound absolutely stunning...it would be amazing if the Star Wars OT got that sort of treatment someday, somehow...

Sooooooooo ordered. As someone who's really only familiar with the delightful march, I'm really looking forward to getting familiar with the whole score. The samples sound absolutely wonderful. I'm trying not to think about it, but it's reminding me yet again that with modern technology in capable hands, it's possible to make older Williams recordings sound absolutely stunning...it would be amazing if the Star Wars OT got that sort of treatment someday, somehow...

Exactly what I was thinking. If this is how Universal keeps all their master tapes, then we are in for some treats in the future!

What Kilars, if I may ask?

Portait of a Lady and Death and the Maiden. Have both on CDR somewhere, so they're not entirely new, but I haven't listened to either in ages, and I can't really recall Portrait.

Okay... I REALLY hope this is still in print before the end of this weekend. I'm gonna have to wait until then. Hoping they can keep us up to date with how many copies are remaining. I wish it was a 5,000 unit release. :(