Orchestral Demo - LSO recording

Robin

Hey everybody,

I'm a composer from Germany and would like to introduce myself with excerpts from a recording of one of my compositions. It has been recorded by the LSO at Abbey Road.

You can listen to it at: http://soundcloud.com/robin-hoffmann/epic-orchestral-demo

Any comments would be highly appreciated!

All the best

Robin

http://www.robin-hoffmann.com/

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The latter part reminds me of Gerschwin's Rhapsody in Blue.

Sounds cool. A little too loud too much of the time, and kind of abrupt in flow.

Nice! I really like this, is it going to be released on CD anytime soon?

You must be pretty darn successful if you're recording with the LSO?

I don't know if Robin pointed out that these are "sections" from his complete work. It's a little suite-like because it's only various parts of the full concerto. It's a nice sound and very competently orchestrated. I don't know if Hollywood heavyweights can write like this any more, much less orchestrate it themselves.

Thanks everybody! I really appreciate that! David is right, these are only excerpts from a larger composition which I couldn't post for several reasons. That's why it might seem a bit "too quick" moving forward.

Robin

Wow, I thought it was pretty impressive just to have your music recorded by the LSO.

It's a very busy piece, chockful of detail. I'm not a musician, so you'll have to take my amateur comments for what they are, but I think you could have eased up on the orchestration a few places, esp. the percussive effects in the opening (like that flute fluttering or whatever it is). There's enough forward "thrust" in the melody line and the main percussion, so it doesn't need a whole lot of ornamentation, IMO. Same with the counterpoints. It often results in a "wall of sound".

With the violin solo, it goes almost Golden Age! :) And then....as others have pointed out...it goes a bit WEST SIDE STORY after that.

Anyways, great work! You've got tons of talent. The challenge now is to pinpoint and channel that into something that is perhaps a LITTLE bit leaner? You can sound "big" while at the same time sound focussed, if you know what I mean.

Wow Thor, that was a pretty good post. I do agree with the Golden Age sounding violin at times because of it's heavy vibrato and close mic but I do think the busier sections as you say are harder to judge out context since Robin may have wanted to give us a hi-lite of the exciting big moments of the piece. Remember that this is a concert work and not a film score so the music has to do all the work to keep the audience involved.

But I still think that your post is a good one for a self avowed non musician. :)

I also think this is an impressive composition and it gets even more impressive with the LSO. Would be nice to hear the whole thing but i guess this is a rights issue.

By the way congrats to your first two posts on this board. The funny thing is that you are registered since 2002 :). That's what i call lurking

Very nice music, Robin. I do agree with the those who said it was a bit 'busy', though And loud. Busy and loud like David Arnold's action music can often be and that sort of thing can threaten to get somewhat overbearing if not reigned in a bit.

But yeah, it does indeed have a sort of 'Golden Age' sound to it - during the first half I imagined some kind of rollicking action sequence amongst the clouds involving bi-planes and great airships and in black and white, good stuff!

All in all I enjoyed the music, so all the best to you. Cool to see a young talented chap like yourself living the dream :up:

Also, may I ask which cues you orchestrated on the Halo Legends score?

Hey everybody,

thanks alot for the kind words. I agree that it might be a bit too much in the form that it is presented as I just cut together the loud passages. This track more or less is a compilation of the climaxes from a composition that is more than 20 minutes long :)

Quint, I actually don't remember the track titles, has been a while ago.

Again, thanks for all the kind words!

Robin

http://www.robin-hoffmann.com/