Official Danny Elfman Thread

Jay

4 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

I was so busy, I did not get a chance to hear the Elfman concerto before the video was erased. :(

Oh well, more waiting then.

@Will, I did listen to the ballet.  Some very good stuff in there.  Nice lyrical writing, and interesting use of instruments, notably saxaphone.  Not all that enthused with some of the electronic stuff.  Just does not mesh too well with the rest, for me. 

Hmm, interesting. I have to say I didn't even really consciously notice the electronics! So clearly thought they meshed well. ;)

But I can't remember if it took multiple listens to truly enjoy. The reason I'm so enthused with this score, I think, is the lyrical, almost fairy-tale joy it evokes. 

I managed to download the video in mp3 format before it was erased. Lucky me, I guess. But I'll obviously delete that once the real deal gets released. I still haven't sat down to listen to the whole thing; I only listened to the "HULK quote" at about the 10-minute mark.

12 hours ago, Will said:

The reason I'm so enthused with this score, I think, is the lyrical, almost fairy-tale joy it evokes.

Ah, yes, it has that in spades.

Funnily enough, I was reminded of Horner a bit in places.

• 5 months later...

Looks like a great release, and I will be buying it, but it's a shame they didn't also include some of his other unreleased concert works when they had the chance, like "Overeager Overture" or "Piano Concerto 1 1/2".

• 1 month later...

The Philharmonie de Paris just unveiled its 19/20 season :)  This season includes a week-end dedicated to Dany Elfman :)

https://philharmoniedeparis.fr/en/programming/thematic-weekends/danny-elfman-weekend

1. Alice au pays des merveilles - Live to projection concert - Orchestre National d'île de France (John Mauceri)

2. Une soirée avec Danny Elfman - Concert - Berlin Philharmonic Piano Quartet (Markus Groh, Andreas Buschatz, Matthew Hunter, Knut Weber)

3. Danny Elfman Symphonique - Concert - Brussels Philharmonic, Chœur de la Radio Flamande (John Mauceri,Sandy Cameron)
  • I Forget (Serenade Schizophrana)
  • Eleven Eleven - Concerto pour violon
  • Batman / Batman Returns
  • Alice au pays des merveilles
  • Edward aux mains d’argent

Elfman's violin concerto will receive its London premiere with the BBC Concert Orchestra and soloist Sandy Cameron in April 2020.  Bramwell Tovey conducts and the concert also includes Prokofiev's Alexander Nevsky.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/concertorchestra/events/by/date/2020/04

On 3/12/2019 at 12:56 PM, toothless said:

Danny Elfman Symphonique - Concert - Brussels Philharmonic, Chœur de la Radio Flamande (John Mauceri,Sandy Cameron)

• I Forget (Serenade Schizophrana)
  • Eleven Eleven - Concerto pour violon
  • Batman / Batman Returns
  • Alice au pays des merveilles
  • Edward aux mains d’argent

The Royal Scottish National Orchestra and John Mauceri will be performing the same programme over two nights in Edinburgh and Glasgow in November this year!

Danny Elfman Gala

🦕

• 2 weeks later...

In the film, I was very disappointed. But on album, it fares quite a bit better. Nowhere near his pre-2005 stuff, but among the better ones in his big Hollywood titles in the last decade and a half.

2 hours ago, dougie said:

Shouldn't that have a blue cross or something to signify it's official?

I'd say this is -- at best -- his people creating an account to promote the violin concerto album.

Unlike his brother Richard, Danny is very reluctant to have any kind of social presence online.

9 hours ago, mstrox said:

On FSM they’re reporting that LLL is releasing expansions of both Darkman and Mission Impossible - notes at their panel at wondercon today.

:sleep1:

Great scores, though.

Guess I have it in me to be happy for those of you who didn't get the album the first time around (was it becoming rare?), despite the expanded format.

A CD is $36 used on Amazon, which is about what I paid about 15 years ago.  It’s been out of print for ages

of course unlike 15 years ago, it is also available for digital download and on streaming services, so not truly OOP at this point 

Interesting. I can't remember how I got it or what I paid for it (probably late 90s or early 2000s), but it wasn't particularly expensive or rare at the time.

On 3/29/2019 at 6:01 PM, dougie said:

Actually, it appears you may be right. Not about Instagram, necessarily, but he's started to post legit stuff on his Facebook account lately. After all these years of the account just being dormant. I guess he's sat down with his 'people' to finally get with the times. It also fits in with his desire to try new things at this point in his career -- write a bunch of concert works and be more active on social media!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
5 hours ago, mstrox said:

He’s been very active on his Instagram and Facebook pages, but now Danny Elfman has his own web site! http://www.dannyelfman.com

Indeed. As I said over on MFADP, I love it! Especially the "Wacky Tracks" section, which has obscure material. Never heard of the gallery music before. Hope there will be much more.

• 2 months later...

I'm seeing Alice in Wonderland LTP this saturday and Elfman will be there. I'll try to post some pictures if anyone is interested. 

https://philharmoniedeparis.fr/en/activity/cine-concert/20244-alice-au-pays-des-merveilles

Also attending on Sunday DANNY ELFMAN SYMPHONIQUE

https://philharmoniedeparis.fr/en/activity/concert/20245-danny-elfman-symphonique

On 6/22/2019 at 10:58 AM, Thor said:

Indeed. As I said over on MFADP, I love it! Especially the "Wacky Tracks" section, which has obscure material. Never heard of the gallery music before. Hope there will be much more.

Yooooo, I forgot all about that forum! It's still around? I haven't logged in for like ten years.