Official Danny Elfman Thread

Jay

The stuff I enjoyed from Elfman in the past decade (albums in chronological order):

The Wolfman (excellent!)

Alice in Wonderland

Iris (Cirque Du Soleil)

The Next Three Days (bits)

Hitchcock (bits)

Promised Land

Oz the Great and Powerful (very underrated score)

The Unknown Known

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Alice Through The Looking Glass

Rabbit & Rogue (ballet)

The Girl on the Train (bits)

Tulip Fever

Justice League (bits)

Eleven Eleven (violin concerto)

Karol

After their last gig in '95, Elfman has performed a couple of Boingo songs on occasion, usually in Halloween shows where he's thrown out "Dead's Man Party" and the like. But there has really been no pure Boingo gig or reunion since then. It would be cool if the Coachella gig had some of the lesser performed songs. I mean, if there's an orchestra on-stage to perform the film music, why not throw "Insanity" in there?

Dolittle doesn't appear to be getting a CD release, just digital. Is this the first time this has happened? Even the last MIB had an on-demand CD-R option for purchase.

I'm an Elfman completist, so I'll be disappointed if Dolittle doesn't get a CD. :(

2 hours ago, A Ghost From Highwood said:

Then buy his Violin Concerto then! It’s great! The CD is released by Sony. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

I have it, and it is great!

Know what else is great? The Dolittle score. It’s whimsical and charming and reminds me of Elfman in ‘90s, Burton-esque form. I love the main theme, which gets a nice workout in the track called “Opening.”

I understand the film is a total train wreck, but I’ll tell you the score on its own is a delightful listen. 

19 hours ago, Jay said:

There are not going to be many film scores written in the 2020s that get released on physical CD. Just the way it should be

ftfy

It's the roaring 20s now - embrace the technology! 

Edit: I've made it to track 19 of 24 in Dolittle. One of the most nondescript scores I've heard in a while. :down:

On 1/17/2020 at 8:34 AM, Fargo said:

ftfy

It's the roaring 20s now - embrace the technology! 

Edit: I've made it to track 19 of 24 in Dolittle. One of the most nondescript scores I've heard in a while. :down:

What?! Bite your tongue! I came to this thread just now to post that I love the Dolittle theme and to ask who else is playing it on an endless loop. 

The little brass fanfare at 1:09 is a delightful moment. One of many!

On 1/18/2020 at 9:04 PM, Bayesian said:

What?! Bite your tongue! I came to this thread just now to post that I love the Dolittle theme and to ask who else is playing it on an endless loop. 

The little brass fanfare at 1:09 is a delightful moment. One of many!

I have to agree, this sounds absolutely blah. 

Like extended commercial music ripping off Elfman but failing to capture it. 

DOLITTLE is in one ear and out the other, like 99% of Elfman's big blockbuster/mainstream thingies in the last 15 years. A big yawnfest.

2 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Does Black Beauty’s OST suffice, or is the LLL release essential?

LLL. The score is worth it, even though the LLL is too long by 15 minutes, the 45-minute WB release has not an ideal selection.

4 hours ago, Holko said:

The LLL can't ruin the score; it IS the score. It might ruin his precious OST presentation.

No, it ruins the appreciation of the score as a musical experience divorced from the film, which often happens. I actually got annoyed while sampling the LLL, so I quickly deleted it. It's such an excellent score, and such an excellent soundtrack presentation originally, that I ain't gonna taint with it and certainly not do anything that makes me annoyed with it. Fortunately, the LLL sampling is now a faint and dark memory.

I sometimes like to sample these expanded releases (for scores I care about) just to have the references in order if it gets discussed, but it's really a masochistic enterprise. I usually make sure to delete them quickly afterwards.

Danny Elfman at the Philharmonie Berlin: German Debut of his Piano Quartet

The performance of Elfman’s piano quartet by the Berlin Philharmonic piano quartet at the Philharmonie is based on the interpretation of the blissfully melodic “Phantasy Quartet” by British composer Frank Bridge. The evening will close with Johannes Brahms’ “Piano Quartet Nr. 1”, which advances into symphonic dimensions and was created in 1861.

Sunday, February 16, 2020, 8 pm
Kammermusiksaal in the Philharmonie |
Concert introduction with Danny Elfman: 7.15 pm
Herbert-von-Karajan-Straße 1, 10785 Berlin

• 3 weeks later...

Danny Elfman's percussion concerto will receive its world premiere with the London Philharmonic Orchestra at the Royal Festival Hall in March 2021.  Given the other selections in the concert, the charismatic Mexican conductor Alondra de la Parra and ace percussionist Colin Currie, this could be a lot of fun!

Danny Elfman's Percussion Concerto

On 1/22/2020 at 8:01 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

I don't see what's wrong with his phrasing, though.

Just like the albums he prefers, they're abridged and lacking comprehensive presentation. 

• 6 months later...

I somehow completely missed the fact that Elfman scored last year’s Dolittle (despite it being discussed several times in this thread), so here’s a PSA that there’s an Elfman Dolittle album out there.  Just bought it, a little something to perk up this coming workweek.

DOLITTLE is fairly mediocre, I think. But as long as the thread has been bumped, Elfman has recently scored Joe Biden's campaign video. That one came out of the blue:

That’s actually what led me to find out about Dolitte.  He posted this on Facebook - sorry for the politics part, but he does get into the creation of the score a tad in the fourth paragraph. Then I went on a “huh, what’s Elfman been up to lately” search and I found the Dolittle OST.

Bummer to bear you didn’t like it, Thor! Well, if I don’t care for it at least I got a new Sia song out of the deal, she’s pretty good too.

Haven’t watched the Biden video, but I guess if something is going to get me to bother it would be a new Elfman piece.

68A19C68-E696-458E-865E-0C1F4A1E8B4F.png

I mentioned previously , hearing INTERSTELLAR during the convention.

Not sure where

On 1/22/2020 at 10:54 AM, Thor said:

For BLACK BEAUTY, the OST suffices and then some. The LLL actually RUINS the experience of a marvelous score. 

I missed out on the ost so was " forced" to get the LLL.

So, I can't compare ( I suspect I would prefer ost).

I still have my twenty minute suite from MFADT, which is a great listen

On 1/11/2020 at 5:03 AM, crocodile said:

Weird? I have no idea what you're talking about...

image-w240.jpg

Karol

Elton John?

Here’s something of a random question: Other than Big Eyes and Dolittle, are there any Elfman scores that were released in digital format only?