Official Danny Elfman Thread

Jay

@Tom Guernsey Your description of Alice in Wonderland suite sounds an awful lot like the suite he did for the sequel.

Hopefully, every concert work Elfman writes gets released. That's where he's at these days!

Karol

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

@Tom Guernsey Your description of Alice in Wonderland suite sounds an awful lot like the suite he did for the sequel.

Karol

Yes I think it was. I thought that’s what I’d said but maybe I didn’t express myself very well!

20 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

The Alice suite that he's been using in concerts is the full version of 'Alice's Theme' which then transitions into 2:45 onwards of 'Alice'.

The 'Alice' suite is actually another suite for Alice in Wonderland, not Alice Through the Looking Glass. He wrote it for the Royal Albert Hall live-to-projection performance in 2015. At this point, Elfman was writing the score for the sequel, so he recorded that new suite for the secondary material in the first movie and added it to the sequel's CD. 

Makes sense that if he wrote an updated version of a concert arrangement that he’d record it for the sequel when the opportunity arose. But it’s basically half the concert arrangement of Alice’s theme (more or less) from the original score but then works in some music from other cues (including the finale I think) from the midway point. It does make it a more varied suite I think. 

On 27/03/2022 at 5:57 AM, Bayesian said:

After JW, Danny Elfman is by far the film composer I most dearly want to compose "classical" works. Considering the demoralizingly barren wasteland that Hollywood film scoring seems to be irretrievably turning into, I'd love it if Elfman one day decided to live off his existing royalties and go the JW route, scoring only Tim Burton's films and focusing on the far more fertile classical scene.

I don't think Danny has any intention of "leaving Hollywood" any time soon. He just did Doctor Strange 2, so I guess he still enjoys doing the big assignment. What he probably is trying to have is a more diverse and widespread career, giving himself the luxury of taking 2 or 3 months off of Hollywood routine and write more personal concert music or even doing a rock album like he did last year.

5 hours ago, TownerFan said:

I don't think Danny has any intention of "leaving Hollywood" any time soon. He just did Doctor Strange 2, so I guess he still enjoys doing the big assignment. What he probably is trying to have is a more diverse and widespread career, giving himself the luxury of taking 2 or 3 months off of Hollywood routine and write more personal concert music or even doing a rock album like he did last year.

As long as he has time to mix up with film work that’s cool. I know he’s often said that he couldn’t previously quite imagine composing without images to start from and had to effectively conjure up images to inspire him for Serenada Schizophrana but it feels like he’s gained the confidence to write absolute music and to do it really well!

On 27/03/2022 at 2:19 PM, ddddeeee said:

The Alice suite that he's been using in concerts is the full version of 'Alice's Theme' which then transitions into 2:45 onwards of 'Alice'.

The 'Alice' suite is actually another suite for Alice in Wonderland, not Alice Through the Looking Glass. He wrote it for the Royal Albert Hall live-to-projection performance in 2015. At this point, Elfman was writing the score for the sequel, so he recorded that new suite for the secondary material in the first movie and added it to the sequel's CD. 

I actually prefer this suite on the ATTLG CD to the original. It's more developed.

Elfman did the same thing with BATMAN and BATMAN RETURNS, where imho the BR Main Title is better than the first film's, like he was more relaxed because he already knew the material and got to play and experiment with it more. 

On 27/03/2022 at 5:57 AM, Bayesian said:

After JW, Danny Elfman is by far the film composer I most dearly want to compose "classical" works. Considering the demoralizingly barren wasteland that Hollywood film scoring seems to be irretrievably turning into, I'd love it if Elfman one day decided to live off his existing royalties and go the JW route, scoring only Tim Burton's films and focusing on the far more fertile classical scene.

I love his concert works, too, but considering how John Williams at 90 still works in Hollywood, I don't think Elfman will stop doing it, if for no other reason, it pays much better than classical music.

And he gets way more attention and recognition working in films, that are seen by tens, hundreds of millions of people, while a classical music piece is heard by tens of thousands at best.

And he can do them both with ease, taking one or two film scoring jobs a year and taking the rest of his time composing a concerto or symphony or whatever. He's still relatively young, he can do whatever he wants. And to be honest, I love his film scores so much, I don't want him to quit writing film scores, but that's just my selfishness talking.

I have a question for y'all:

What do you think an Elfman's theme for Superman Lives might have sounded like? I might have initially guessed his Spider-Man theme maybe but it still doesn't feel right imo...

Huh, that's a question I never thought about.

I doubt he always had the "characters should have the one cinematic theme only" belief, but then I'm sure WB might've still insisted the JW theme be kept by virtue of iconography. Then again, given the supposed grittier nature the film would've had, I don't know if he actually would've written anything particularly heroic. Could he have thought of something like his Age of Ultron theme then perhaps?

16 hours ago, WinkingMonk said:

I have a question for y'all:

What do you think an Elfman's theme for Superman Lives might have sounded like? I might have initially guessed his Spider-Man theme maybe but it still doesn't feel right imo...

That's a great question! It would have been spectacular, in the vein of John Williams' Superman Theme, but sounding similar to his Spider-Man Theme. If only he would compose a Superman Theme...

1 hour ago, SyncMan said:

USA premiere of his Cello Concerto:

San Francisco Symphony Orchestra

Michael Tilson Thomas, conductor
Gautier Capuçon, cello

November 11, 12, 13, 2022

https://www.sfsymphony.org/Buy-Tickets/2022-23/Capucon-Plays-Danny-Elfman

Wow. MTT is a proper top rank conductor and the SFS is a great orchestra. That’s an impressive premiere. 

New interview: https://tapeop.com/interviews/148/danny-elfman/

An interesting tidbit or two:

"After 110 films, or whatever it’s been, one of the only two times I feel I collaborated with anybody – between the score and the songs – was with Elliott on Good Will Hunting and with Tyler, The Creator on The Grinch. Everything else has been totally separate and removed."

"Coachella had been trying to get me to put together an Oingo Boingo reunion for years. I’m so sorry, but it’s never going to happen."

Was wondering why he mentioned Elliott Smith so casually in your quotes and then saw that this was in Tape Op and it clicked.  Larry Crane was Elliott’s friend, started a studio in Portland with Elliott, and has been his estate’s archivist since he died.  

Looking forward to reading this article tonight!

On 29/3/2022 at 10:52 AM, SyncMan said:

USA premiere of his Cello Concerto:

San Francisco Symphony Orchestra

Michael Tilson Thomas, conductor
Gautier Capuçon, cello

November 11, 12, 13, 2022

https://www.sfsymphony.org/Buy-Tickets/2022-23/Capucon-Plays-Danny-Elfman

I am so f***ing going to this. Thank you for alerting us; l don't think I'd ever have learned about it until after all the tickets had sold. (Tix aren't actually being sold to this concert yet, but I'll be there when they do.)

Great interview!  Other key “news” is that Elfman will be releasing Big Mess demos on his website sometime soon, and there’s some nice subtle shade thrown Zimmer’s way towards the end.

Nice interview, although I skimmed some of the technical bits; they go over my head. But refreshing to hear some different areas than what we usually get (Elfman has his share of "But they're all dead" stories too).

I thought this was interesting too, "The Little Things" is terrific:

Before Coachella, and before I started doing Jack Skellington [live], I began doing some training to try and bring back my range. When it came time to do Big Mess, I’d already stopped doing that. I had to find a voice, and that was part of the fun of the process. I know what Jack Skellington’s voice is, but I don’t know what my voice is anymore. I only did one song in the last quarter-century. It was for this movie Wanted, and I cut a song [“The Little Things”] for [director] Timur Bekmambetov. That was it!

I told him on twitter to stop dying his hair and begin to assume his white hair.

He didn't answer me.

5 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Yes, probably later in life as with blonde people. 

Blondes grey up early in comparison. I've already started to, and I'm 44.

I started with the sides of my beard at 38. And some single hairs on the head. I'm dark blond. 

Black haired people start getting white hairs in their twenties... 

I dont remember, how is ron howard? 

13 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

Video recap of last week's concert.

There's footage of all four movements of the concerto.

Tells you so much more than the programme. I may have missed this but I’m surprised that the LPO didn’t send me a link to this as someone who went to the concert! Definitely increases my hope that it gets recorded and was also a good reminder of how great the other two Elfman items sounded. Batman was especially terrific.

While I’ve no doubt Elfman is very proud of Big Mess (not my cup of tea at all), I wish he was posting with as much enthusiasm and frequency about his concert works. I rather think that the majority of his film score fans would get a lot more out them than Big Mess which is really quite different. It’s not even that much like his Oingo Boingo or other solo stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ddddeeee said:

Sound clips from Elfman's Percussion Quartet, out next month.

https://www.cedillerecords.org/albums/perspectives/

Very cool, look forward to that... hopefully the concerto isn't far behind.

(It wouldn't be a film music forum post about a new release without a "and I also wish for..." comment ;-)