Official Danny Elfman Thread

Jay

Well, as far as Sony movies go, this one is right up there with Ghostbusters as far as major label expansion possibilities go.  I hope if Sony does this, they do it right!

Wow, expansions of his Spidey tril by Sony themselves was something I hadn't considered. Huh. 

Yea, it's probably just the existing score album pressed to vinyl though. 

I don't think Danny Elfman is always at his best in C & C format.

The most recent expansions I've purchased (all composers) tend to demonstrate one thing, except few exceptions: the difference of vision between the composer and the director.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

I don't think Danny Elfman is always at his best in C & C format.

The most recent expansions I've purchased (all composers) tend to demonstrate one thing, except few exceptions: the difference of vision between the composer and the director.

Maybe, but Spider-Man scores would be nice to have expanded. They're really good.

Having said that, I do like the 45-minute albums. They're quite well assembled.

Karol

I certainly think Elfman had a good ear for each score’s highlights on those albums, and everything flowed well.  C&C would get a little…trickier in the sequels.  Lots of rescoring and guest stars.  Don’t know if Sony would necessarily give us the glut of alternates we’re accustomed to with the small label releases, either.

It’s probably all wasted speculation, because the likely answer is a first-time vinyl record release.

Well there's no new Spider-man expansion on iTunes NZ so I'm guessing it'll just be a vinyl release of the old score album indeed

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Well there's no new Spider-man expansion on iTunes NZ so I'm guessing it'll just be a vinyl release of the old score album indeed

As likely as the LP still is, you do have to note that they only said announcement, and not that it'd be when a new release hits. Given they announced both Ghostbusters releases months in advance, there's a good chance it'll be a bit before the expansion comes out (if it is indeed that).

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

Any of you kiwis know if they’re actually selling Doctor Strange for download tomorrow?

@Manakin Skywalkermentioned to me that he heard from other people that this soundtrack might be a digital release only. Does anyone here know if thats true?

I did notice that in at least Spain, the album released on Deezer today and not the 4th like everywhere else. So I do wonder if it is indeed the case that the option to buy was simply delayed, or if foreign countries get special treatment in this regard.

I have little to no problem with digital only, and it mirrors Marvel’s recent approach for the most part.  I do have problems with streaming-only, so hopefully they’ll roll out purchases soon.  I find it hard to believe that they wouldn’t - Disney has been putting the score to every dumb Disney+ direct to streaming movie, series, and even individual animated short up for sale.

The last Disney Records / Hollywood Records score album that got a physical CD version that I can think of is Avengers Endgame in 2019

EDIT: Nope, I have the answer.  West Side Story, December 2021.

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

The last Disney Records / Hollywood Records score album that got a physical CD version that I can think of is Avengers Endgame in 2019

EDIT: Nope, I have the answer.  West Side Story, December 2021.

Toy Story 4, Frozen 2, and TROS would have been after Endgame (although Frozen 2 got a songs-only CD and the deluxe was digital only I believe).  All are postdated by WSS though, obvs.

I’m confident that Indy 5 will get a CD release.

Oh man how could I forget Rise of Skywalker!

Yes if WSS got a physical CD, Indy 5 will too

The only big ? when it comes to Williams-related things, will be if OBI-WAN gets a physical CD or not

In some ways for me, the digital release is preferable - especially in the era of skyrocketing re-use fees.  With no expansion on the horizon, nice for them not to be hemmed in by the 80-minute runtime.

My personal preference is always CD, but there are upsides.

35 minutes ago, Brando said:

@Manakin Skywalkermentioned to me that he heard from other people that this soundtrack might be a digital release only. Does anyone here know if thats true?

*Streaming, not digital. I was basing that off of posts on the Multiverse of Madness thread...

There are excertps on Youtube.

They'll make you realize Danny Elfman should not sing live again!

There's no chance at all it would be released on an album or whatever.

I never thought the bootleg sounded bad like others have, so I'm not too fussed about it just being an LP pressing. Still would be nice to have some of the revised cues one day.

Conversely, a CD repress of 2 would be nice, as it’s weirdly a bit pricey for what you'd think it'd cost. Nowhere near bad as a lot of other examples, but it is noticeable.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/05/2022 at 12:05 AM, crocodile said:

Anyway, to sweeten this situation somewhat here's a new album with Elfman's percussion quartet (there's a percussion piece from Philip Glass too). Coming out next Friday.

TCP-Digital-Cover_3000x3000-1024x1024.jpg

Karol

A percussion piece from Philip Glass?!😳

Screenshot_2022-03-03-21-54-36.png

It's a lot of fun. :) The whole album is very cool actually. 

Doctor Strange 2 is actually better than it sounds (if that makes sense) but his non-film work is where true Elfman spirit resides.

1 hour ago, ddddeeee said:

Awesome. At the risk of being the “now we need” guy but… now we need someone to figure out how to rip it and turn it into an mp3/flac/wax cylinder etc 😜