Official Danny Elfman Thread

Jay

Danny is my findom daddy

(I actually have no problem shelling out a buck each for the extra tracks.  I was making a vague reference to a very NSFW Mr. Show sketch called “The Joke: The Musical”)

Yeah, the whole BIG MESS thing is a bit overkill for me. I like a couple of songs on the album, and I will no doubt get both that on CD, a well as the remix album BIGGIER MESSIER down the road, but I'm in no immediate hurry. And I certainly don't need the deluxe editions. There's a little too much fuzz and noise for my taste these days. I had hoped his return to pop/rock music was more in the sleak New Wave style of the early Oingo Boingo stuff, or at least some of the more exuberant songs on the 1995 Boingo album.

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn’t quite sure where to share these.(Do we have an official ‘Batman’ Thread?) But for fans of Burton’s Batman films, these have been really terrific “What If’s…?” Fun amateur voice work and pseudo-nods to Elfmans work (for legal reasons lol). Frankly there’s probably more depth in these than what Burton would have delivered. Probably skew closer to Batman The Animated Series (not a bad thing!)

It’s a shame we never got to hear Elfman score more Batman films (JL doesn’t count 😜) And yes I would have loved more Burton Batman films.  

• 1 month later...

Anyone else still find it super odd that Danny's score to 2021's The Woman in the Window still has no score album release, despite Netflix releasing just about every score of any note to their stuff in recent times?

You'd think a man of his acclaim would be able to make it happen!

Maybe he personally doesn't like the score much or something?

The score isn't that interesting, IMO. Kinda like a cousin to THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN, only GIRL being the more interesting one. There have been a few Elfman scores in recent years that either don't have a release at all, or only digital.

Just now, Thor said:

There have been a few Elfman scores in recent years that either don't have a release at all, or only digital.

Digital releases count as releases!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which Elfman scores of the recent years have no release at all other than The Woman in the Window?

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Digital releases count as releases!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which Elfman scores of the recent years have no release at all other than The Woman in the Window?

The two scores for his daughter's shorts. The digital release of ALIENS, CLOWNS AND GEEKS is also weird; like an iso track or something (some strange fade-outs). But I suppose it's legit.

I believe I recall Woman in the Window having production difficulties, including Elfman’s score being a replacement, so the lack of an OST might be related to that.

19 hours ago, Thor said:

The two scores for his daughter's shorts. The digital release of ALIENS, CLOWNS AND GEEKS is also weird; like an iso track or something (some strange fade-outs). But I suppose it's legit.

Aliens Clowns and Geeks is also on CD!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm content with the Sony CD, personally, but glad to see Naxos do another take. Weird to see Elfman's name on the bare-bones Naxos covers I grew up with in my formative years.

17 hours ago, Jay said:

Another performance of Eleven Eleven is being released by Naxos

https://www.naxos.com/CatalogueDetail/?id=8.559925

That's cool and odd I had no idea as I'm on their mailing list so wondering if I missed it (although I do read it quite diligently as they release so much great stuff!). I hope they (or someone) finally gets to recording his Percussion Concerto (I know, I know... doing the "this is great, but what about this?!" thing).

I know it's a different orchestra and conductor, but I have to say that I enjoy Naxos' versions of some of the JW's concertos more than JW's own versions, plus the ones he never recorded! Strange they never got to his viola concerto, hopefully one day!

• 1 month later...

Danny Elfman’s Music from the Films of Tim Burton
March 15 – 17, 2024

SARAH HICKS conducts
DANNY ELFMAN special guest
SANDY CAMERON violin
DALLAS SYMPHONY CHORUS

Featuring Music from Beetlejuice, Batman, Edward Scissorhands, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Alice In Wonderland, Frankenweenie, Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure and more…

Explore the collaborative relationship between music and storytelling and the process and importance that this has in filmmaking. Composer Danny Elfman and visionary Hollywood filmmaker Tim Burton have created a unique concert experience, lending music and visuals to celebrate the 25-year partnership of two of Hollywood’s top creators. This live concert features Danny Elfman live along with famous Tim Burton film scores being brought to life on stage by orchestra, enhanced by visuals on the big screen of original sketches, drawings and storyboards.

https://www.dallassymphony.org/productions/danny-elfmans-music-from-the-films-of-tim-burton/

Oh wow, this would be so much fun to attend! There’s no way I can make this one, sadly, but I hope there might be more concerts like this planned for other cities (like, say, SF or LA…)!

Percussion Concerto
Utah Symphony Orchestra.
David Danzmayr, conductor
Colin Currie, percussion

Abravanel Hall, Salt Lake City, Utah

Finishing Touches Rehearsal: 
March 22, 2024, 10am 
https://utahsymphony.org/event/id/30676/

Performances: 
March 22, 2024, 7:30pm
March 23, 2024, 7:30pm
https://utahsymphony.org/event/id/30694/

I love that folks are sharing Elfman's upcoming concerts here -- the only thing is I wish we could have more than a week's notice, which might allow time to prepare to get to them!

If anyone does make it to these concerts, please post about it here afterward!

8 hours ago, Bayesian said:

I wish we could have more than a week's notice, which might allow time to prepare to get to them!

These said dates are for next year, so your wish has been answered.

2 hours ago, SyncMan said:

These said dates are for next year, so your wish has been answered.

:pat: I should learn to read all the digits in a date before replying…

• 4 weeks later...

Been spending some time with Big Mess and Bigger Messier this week.  I feel a lot more positively about Big Mess than perhaps I did the last time I listened to it.  I could listen to it fairly regularly.   Bigger Messier is fine, as long as you’re willing to take the time to give the 2.5 hour thing a full listen, remove the completely dreadful tracks, and then leave a nice 45 minute album.  There are some of the mixes I probably prefer to the original album tracks.

Also listened a few times each to Big Fish and Big Eyes, if that tells you where on my shelf I’m stuck right now.  Big Eyes is still kind of just okay - the outlier Burton score that doesn’t really leave much of an impression at all.  Big Fish is still terrific.  I tried shuffling the expansion into film order for one of the listens, but have to admit I still probably prefer the truncated OST version, which opens really nicely with Pictures which brief as it is, serves as a better intro to an album than the main titles which lead off the chrono edit.

I think Big Eyes is my least favourite Elfman score. It's so nondescript.

That whole movie was weird. It's like it was so actively avoiding melodrama that it didn't have much drama at all. Even though it's far from his worst, and even though I'll check out everything he does in hope of a return to form, that's the movie where Burton lost me. That movie should have been great.

2 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

Whoa!! One of my Elfman holy grails. The CD will suffice for me.

(obviously, the article is wrong when it claims it's the only unreleased Elfman film score, but be that as it may).

Yeah, I'll have to be quick. I'm otherwise occupied at the time they open the pre-orders, so hopefully it will stick around for a few hours. The price is nice, so I'll pay whatever the shipping is. I take it for granted that they ship to Norway.

20 minutes ago, Thor said:

Whoa!! One of my Elfman holy grails. The CD will suffice for me.

I've seen the film last year I think, but the score didn't make me any impression IIRC.

19 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah, I'll have to be quick. I'm otherwise occupied at the time they open the pre-orders, so hopefully it will stick around for a few hours. The price is nice, so I'll pay whatever the shipping is. I take it for granted that they ship to Norway.

Only Rusted Wave ships to Norway. Currently, they only have LPs, which ships to Norway for $35. Hopefully the shipping is cheaper for CDs, but I won't be surprised if it's not. 

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Only Rusted Wave ships to Norway. Currently, they only have LPs, which ships to Norway for $35. Hopefully the shipping is cheaper for CDs, but I won't be surprised if it's not. 

Hopefully it's cheaper, yes. $35 for shipping a CD would be insane, even in this day and age.

Rusted Wave and 1984 had better have some kind of purchase limit or some asshole will buy 100 of these right off the bat and turn around to sell them

on eBay for $80 each. 

@Thor, as an Elfman completist, I intend to be on either website at 1:00 eastern on the dot to order my copy. I’m happy to order a second one at the same time (assuming either site lets me) for you. I’m sure USPS tracked shipping to Norway for a single CD is a lot less than $35.

I don’t trust people enough to believe that a run of 500 discs will last more than a few minutes once they go on sale. I hope I’m wrong, but better safe than sorry. 

This is a rarity to me - an old school Elfman score that I’ve heard just none of.  Elfman didn’t include any of it on his early compilation either - he must think very highly of it!

I've also never seen the film, so never heard a note of its score, and never knew why he didn't include anything from it on Music For A Darkened Theater

2 hours ago, Bayesian said:

@Thor, as an Elfman completist, I intend to be on either website at 1:00 eastern on the dot to order my copy. I’m happy to order a second one at the same time (assuming either site lets me) for you. I’m sure USPS tracked shipping to Norway for a single CD is a lot less than $35.

That would be amazing if you could do that, from one Elfman completist to another. :)

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

This is a rarity to me - an old school Elfman score that I’ve heard just none of.  Elfman didn’t include any of it on his early compilation either - he must think very highly of it!

Back in the internet 'dark ages', music rips from SUMMER SCHOOL were available on a site in Realaudio (remember that format?). I remember I downloaded them at the time, but I don't know where they are now. Probably lost in some tech upgrade. But they were very useful when I did the Elfman buyer's guide for FSM in the mid 2000s, and I've always desired a score album since.

I hope the album also includes Elfman's song "Happy" (the ORIGINAL "Happy", not the new emo one on the BIG MESS album), which was also on the original songtrack and is not available elsewhere.

The film is fun too; worth a watch -- especially for us 80s nostalgics.

What is the complete list of Elfman film scores that are unreleased?

I know The Woman in the Window is the most recent.

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

Isn't there a Kick Ass score album?

Always thought the score album was a promo (that's what it was labelled when I got mine), but appears it was a Polydor release of it too, if Discogs is correct. Removing the entry from the FSM thread.

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

Did Elfman have a rejected score for Kick-Ass?  The film and IMDB credit a battery of other composers

No, just some additional cues, AFAIK. Like he does sometimes (SPY KIDS, MY FAVOURITE MARTIAN etc.).