Official Danny Elfman Thread

Jay

Music Box Records will be releasing the complete score to Good Will Hunting in 2014

This is it! We have fixed all legal issues.

The coming CD album will contain the five songs by Elliott Smith (including "Miss Misery") and the complete original score composed by Danny Elfman. We will also include more cues than the FYC Promotional CD.

The album will likely be released in 2014.

More info:

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=98151&forumID=1&archive=0

According to Music Box Records' Facebook page, it's "coming soon"

- Our American title will feature the music for an intimate drama about the hardships of facing your own true self and realizing your full potential. The work of two upcoming screenwriters, this film took the awards circuit by surprise and we're really proud to premiere the complete score, including five songs also featured on the soundtrack.

https://www.facebook.com/MusicBoxRec/posts/664467720262543

:D

absolutely love that score.

• 8 months later...

Elfman is always a good interview.

Q: Why is your music so dark?

Elfman's Answer: Light hurts my eyes.

Never gets old...

• 6 months later...

Check out this FANTASTIC interview with Danny Elfman, really worth reading!

http://www.avclub.com/article/danny-elfman-oingo-boingo-film-scores-and-beatles--210856

Excellent and really candid interview. Hopefully in a decade or so we will get the low-down on what happened withg The Avengers 2 from him.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for that link, Hlao-roo! Quite a nice article! The anecdote about the Simpsons theme is the most impressive; Something he spent almost no time on that he expected to barely be heard by anyone ended up being his biggest money maker!

I look forward to his Goosebumps score. I wonder if he'll reference the TV theme.

The TV show theme is better than anything Elfman has done since.

Elfman didn't reference the "Dark Shadows" TV theme in the 2012 film, so I doubt the Goosebumps TV show theme will pop up here. (Unless Rob Letterman wants him to.) But Goosebumps isn't exactly an adaptation of the series either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Saw Goosebumps today and really enjoyed Elfman's score for it. Can't wait to check it out apart from the film. The film itself was also pretty fun. Not scary in the slightest, but I didn't expect it to be. Just a fun bit of escapism.

Note: Looking at the track list, the soundtrack release appears to be way out of film order.

When you listen to the album, you will be likely frustrated with the sequencing. It's just bizarre.

Karol

Yeah the amount of bonus tracks tacked after the soundtrack programme seems really strange.

What a strange decision. Are these any substantial pieces among the bonus tracks that should absolutely be in the main programme?

Regardless, it is really strange. Even stranger is that the digital download and CD versions appear to be identical, so why make them bonus tracks? I hope eventually someone will be familiar enough with the film to get this in the right order. It WILL bug me lol.

I think perhaps Elfman decided to order it the way he did to present both his preferred album sequence of tracks he liked, then for the sake of his fans he threw in most of the rest of the score afterward (just like how most of his expanded scores were done in that big Elfman/Burton set). I guess working on the Elfman/Burton set gave him this strange mentality to do that on a regular release. A sort of "best of both worlds" scenario.

Absolutely NOT strange at all!

This seems to be the perfect compromise solution -- the album program (designed by the composer himself) for people like me, and then the rest of the music in bonus tracks for people obsessed about C&C. They can then program these tracks with the others to make their C&C program (hopefully, the liner notes provide the sequence -- otherwise they can just use the film or wait for someone online to post the film sequence, which always seems to happen).

I support this wholeheartedly. When I get this, I will only import the album program to iTunes and let the remaining tracks remain in the album's folder on the hard drive.

Or bought the cd just for the songs.

Yes. Not for that stupid orchestra stuff without any singing or phat beats that people can't dance to.

This seems to be the perfect compromise solution -- the album program (designed by the composer himself) for people like me, and then the rest of the music in bonus tracks for people obsessed about C&C. They can then program these tracks with the others to make their C&C program (hopefully, the liner notes provide the sequence -- otherwise they can just use the film or wait for someone online to post the film sequence, which always seems to happen).

I support this wholeheartedly. When I get this, I will only import the album program to iTunes and let the remaining tracks remain in the album's folder on the hard drive.

It's definitely a good way to release a score in a best of both worlds scenario. But it IS strange, because it is seldom done.

Btw, the first track "Goosebumps" is actually the start of the end credits montage. The "Credits" music is actually for the opening credits of the film.

It's definitely a good way to release a score in a best of both worlds scenario. But it IS strange, because it is seldom done.

Too seldom! Although we HAVE seen quite a few releases that include both the album program on one disc and then the whole score on the other; like THE FURY.

Too seldom! Although we HAVE seen quite a few releases that include both the album program on one disc and then the whole score on the other; like THE FURY.

But not on the initial run though, always a later expansion.

I can see why for the album he switched the music around for the credits. The end credits montage music definitely gives off a big impression for what is to come in the album VS the more low-key nature of the opening credits. The film takes a slow-burn approach before all hell breaks loose, so the exciting music of course doesn't happen until the books are opened.

• 2 months later...

According to this interview with Danny Elfman, he is NOT scoring Tim Burton's new film 

So you’ve got a big year coming up. Goosebumps, which obviously is already done, the new Tim Burton film-

I’m not doing that [Mrs Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children]. 

Well, our research is obviously terrible. 

It’s probably unknown, but no. Still coming up this year, Tulip Fever will follow Goosebumps.

http://www.classicfm.com/composers/elfman/news/scary-music-guide/

Wow!

• 1 month later...

According to Film Music Reporter, composers Matthew Margeson and Mike Higham are scoring Burton's Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2016/01/29/matthew-margeson-mike-higham-scoring-tim-burtons-miss-peregrines-home-for-peculiar-children/

The article states that the score will be recorded in London in a few weeks, so perhaps that interferes with Elfman's sessions on Alice Through the Looking Glass?