Official Danny Elfman Thread

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know the deal with the OST version of the Main Title for Sleepy Hollow and why it's so different from the film version?  Is it an earlier version?  An arrangement specifically made for the OST?  It's weird because I have the session leak, which has two versions of the main title, but neither are the OST version.

I would really love for someone like a Matessino to do a proper specialty label release of this score.

There's been a sheet music leak too, which indicates there's a 1M3R, maybe somebody can read it and help figure it out?

This is as far as I got with a sheet/session/OST comparison back in the day

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FRehMLuLM8lGCaUNESIyUkTnASM3-B-Q_607Ol1aXdM/edit?usp=sharing

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

There's been a sheet music leak too, which indicates there's a 1M3R, maybe somebody can read it and help figure it out?

This is as far as I got with a sheet/session/OST comparison back in the day

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FRehMLuLM8lGCaUNESIyUkTnASM3-B-Q_607Ol1aXdM/edit?usp=sharing

It's such a shame that Burton-Elfman collabs have just stopped coming out of specialty labels.

It's just these 5, right?

Mars Attacks: LLL 2009

Batman: LLL 2010/14

Batman Returns: LLL 2010/14

Planet of the Apes: LLL 2012

Edward Scissorhands: Intrada 2015

The Burton box is better than nothing, but still.

I know the Burton box is an expensive paperweight, but is there anything really missing from Nightmare Before Christmas?  He even arranged that one chronologically, if I recall.  NBC is going to be the toughest one to release, presumably, because Disney.

Makes no difference if anything is missing or not.  That wonderful scores deserves to be sold as a comprehensive specialty-lable-quality 2CD set with everyone in one nice package.

THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS was released in a "2CD package", although a great deal of the material on CD 2 was re-interpretations. Fun for curiousity's sake, but nothing more. The OST is all you ever need.

As someone who hasn't listened to Sleepy Hollow in years, I would _love_ a special release of that one, and y'all know how I usually am with ol' C n' C'. I didn't think about it 'til y'all mentioned it, but it just feels right. 

What would a Nightmare Before Christmas album really need? There's a nice little Oogie Boogie cue in the movie unreleased, but it's like 40 seconds at most. I'm a huge sucker for demos and junk like that, which I think were released in the Burton box...I just don't know what would be exciting about a Nightmare Before Christmas release....unless...Mattesino gets Marilyn Manson to do covers of the whole score!

There's a bunch of score in the film that wasn't on the OST, plus the box set released all the songs without vocals which is cool too, cause you can combine them with the score cues to make an entire score album

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

There's a bunch of score in the film that wasn't on the OST, plus the box set released all the songs without vocals which is cool too, cause you can combine them with the score cues to make an entire score album

Hella cool! I remember doing the old phasing trick to try and get an instrumental Oogie Boogie's Song back in high school...not very fun. Did the box set put out any of the unreleased material?

20 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Did the box set put out any of the unreleased material?

What?

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

What?

When the album came out back in Anno Domini '93, there was music in the film that was unreleased. Were any of these unreleased tracks subsequently released on the Burton box?

The Elfman/Burton boxset is complete, as far as Nightmare Before Christmas goes, as far as we know

2 hours ago, Jay said:

No.

Am I the only one who doesn’t consider Nightmare to be his magnum opus or whatever?

It’s great and essential and among my favorite Elfman works but I really don’t listen to it that much.  Maybe because I didn’t like the movie much as a kid.

I don't listen to it that much either.  I've listened to Batman, Returns, Mission: Impossible, Scissorhands, and Mars Attacks the most from Danny

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Am I the only one who doesn’t consider Nightmare to be his magnum opus or whatever?

No, same here. EDWARD is. But NIGHTMARE is my personal favourite of the two, and ultimately my favourite Elfman in general; the one that got me into this composer in the first place.

19 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It’s great and essential and among my favorite Elfman works but I really don’t listen to it that much.  Maybe because I didn’t like the movie much as a kid.

I don’t even have the score in my collection. 

A new Elfman concert work, "Percussion Quartet" is premiering today, October 10th

A new Percussion Quartet composed by Danny Elfman for Grammy Award Winning Third Coast Percussion Ensemble. Premieres at the Philip Glass Days & Nights Festival.

Big Sur, CA. Oct 10, 2019

https://www.dannyelfman.com/new-commissions

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Damn he's decided to do a bunch of concert works late in his career!

When John Williams was the same age as Elfman is now, he composed Saving Private Ryan.  Think of the dozens of scores and concert works he's written since!

Of course.... not every composer is John Williams :worship:

Yes, I read about the percussion concerto on his Instagram account a few weeks ago. Looking forward to it; the glimpses I've heard sound like the marimba and xylophone stuff he did in the Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo days.

On 10/2/2019 at 1:45 PM, Disco Stu said:

Does anyone know the deal with the OST version of the Main Title for Sleepy Hollow and why it's so different from the film version?  Is it an earlier version?  An arrangement specifically made for the OST?  It's weird because I have the session leak, which has two versions of the main title, but neither are the OST version.

I would really love for someone like a Matessino to do a proper specialty label release of this score.

Must just be an alternate omitted from the sessions. Maybe it was a last minute change, recorded at a later stage? Neither the main titles nor the subsequent cue 'Walk Through Sleepy Hollow' matches the film.

When I heard 'Main titles parts 1 and 2' from the box I actually assumed they'd somehow screwed up the versions and editing. Given that they're like that in the sessions too, it must be a genuinely alternate recording, with the actual film takes still not out there.

Definitely needs a proper expanded treatment.

• 2 months later...

Cover and tracklist for Elfman's Dolittle OST, which will include a song by Sia:

vcs.jpg

1. Original – Sia (3:34)
2. Opening (2:39)
3. Wonder (2:44)
4. Chess Match (2:17)
5. Revelry (1:16)
6. Lunchtime (0:39)
7. He’s Back (3:09)
8. Teamwork (1:46)
9. Betsy Chase (2:39)
10. Investigation (3:09)
11. The Voyage Begins (2:01)
12. Remembering Lily (0:53)
13. The Getaway (3:11)
14. Well Done Everybody (1:34)
15. Monteverde (5:03)
16. Pep Talk (3:14)
17. Onward (3:57)
18. The Dragon (3:48)
19. The Extraction (2:10)
20. We Belong Together (1:51)
21. Save The Queen (2:42)
22. Revelation (1:39)
23. Victory (2:20)
24. Dragon Indigestion (0:37)

Seems like the kind of score he can write on his sleep, but anyway.

5 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Seems like the kind of score he can write on his sleep, but anyway.

Yes. I haven't cared for a mainstream, Hollywood blockbuster-type score from Elfman in decades, and I doubt this will be the exception to the rule. As I've said many times before, his strength these days lies in the indie or smaller films. But obviously, I'm checking this out. You never know.

From his fantasies scores this decade I mean, the last decade, I really like the first Alice in Wonderland. The movie is horrid, but I love Alice's Theme.

His other scores, like Oz, The Grinch, Alice Through the Glass, Dumbo, etc., haven't caught my attention, unfortunately.

I feel like I'm repeating myself endlessly, but there have been some great Elfman scores in his post-Serenada Schizophrana period, which is where I put a delineation (it's often been very Philipp Glass-ian since then): THE KINGDOM, STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE, THE NEXT THREE DAYS, RESTLESS, PROMISED LAND, THE UNKNOWN KNOWN, THE CIRCLE, the violin concerto. All absolutely brilliant! But rarely in the big blockbuster scores. There are the occasional highlight pieces here too, in scores like ALICE IN WONDERLAND, THE WOLFMAN, REAL STEEL, DUMBO....but you'll have to search for it. This is why I really want to urge Elfman to stop doing these big movies -- despite his desire to have a versatile slate -- and focus on the smaller films, where his inspiration seems to flow effortlessly. Or do more concert works.

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Big movies = big money

It's not like he needs it. Elfman has said he does this kind of "mix" between big movies and smaller movies for the variety, but I seriously think he finds plenty of variety even within the smaller or indie films, enough to keep his musical exploration need occupied.

I’ve honestly not ever heard of any of those 7 movies you listed. Small-time-dramatic Elfman just doesn’t sound pleasing to me. 

I thought I’d be happy with Justice League because of the rumors he included the OG Batman & Superman themes. But those were only 2-3 cues, and the rest was a mashup of the Age of Ultron theme. 

God, that score had so much potential. What a waste. 

18 minutes ago, mstrox said:

In other news, Elfman (and presumably an orchestra) is playing Coachella this year.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/dead-mans-party-danny-elfman-set-to-be-the-breakout-star-of-coachella-2020-182626545.html

Indeed he is. The news made its rounds in social media (including Elfman's own Instagram and Facebook feeds) a few days ago. I would have loved to attend, but there's no way. Obviously, I'm extremely curious about what Boingo songs he'll play, and if he'll get his ol' band mates on stage. The film music section seems weird -- what kind of ensemble are we talking about here?

19 minutes ago, Fargo said:

I’ve honestly not ever heard of any of those 7 movies you listed. Small-time-dramatic Elfman just doesn’t sound pleasing to me. 

I thought I’d be happy with Justice League because of the rumors he included the OG Batman & Superman themes. But those were only 2-3 cues, and the rest was a mashup of the Age of Ultron theme. 

God, that score had so much potential. What a waste. 

Well, if you're so displeased with his blockbuster/superhero output (a feeling I share, btw), I urge you to check out the titles I mentioned. Even if they "don't sound pleasing to you".

Playing the devil's advocate here, there's some stuff in Elfman's JL that I like. Some of the emotional material on Home and A New Hope were pretty good, reminded me of his Spidey scores that I like so much. And there's some funny action music on Tunnel Fight and Final Battle.

It's not a masterpiece or anything, but far from the worse score ever made, like some weird Snyder fanboys thought to be. I probably liked more than Age of Ultron, although on that movie he was having to fill the gaps by Brian Tyler. Maybe if he was the composer on Ultron since the beginning...