Official Danny Elfman Thread

Jay

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Not on VS's site, at least.

I'll have to warn you, though. It looks like an expanded release.

I already have it digitally, of course. But I don't play it very often; loads of standard suspense cues, really. It's one of those times I ask myself "OK, you're an Elfman completist, but do you REALLY need this?".

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I already have it digitally, of course. But I don't play it very often; loads of standard suspense cues, really. It's one of those times I ask myself "OK, you're an Elfman completist, but do you REALLY need this?".

Only three of the tracks are Elfman!  The rest is by the Newton Brothers, who excelled recently with their score for Netflix’s wonderful Haunting of Hill House series (released by LLL), but still hew pretty close to modern horror tropes.

Yes, I know. But I still need to get it in physical format; my completism also encompasses soundtracks with Elfman doing additional music or themes.

Although I'm starting to 'loosen' that definition a bit. For example, a couple of years ago, I gave away a CD-R copy of the MY FAVOURITE MARTIAN promo, but kept "Uncle Martin's Theme" in my iTunes.

I need to have one representative presentation of every composition in their career. It has nothing to do with 'complete soundtracks' or expansions.

24 minutes ago, Thor said:

I need to have one representative presentation of every composition in their career. It has nothing to do with 'complete soundtracks' or expansions.

But, the mindset is the same.

That of a collector.

Just now, bruce marshall said:

But, the mindset is the same.

That of a collector.

I guess, yes. Only in relation to those composers, though. I'm not really a 'soundtrack collector' in general.

• 1 month later...

Sorry if I'm late to the party, but I just began to be interested to the Tim Burton/Elfman's boxset.

I discovered that with very few exceptions, they reproduced the OST albums, adding some bonus tracks and alt at the end of each album. The exception I notified is for "Nightmare Before Christmas", where the additional tracks seems to have been embeded in the main sequence.

In general, that's fun to see which bonus tracks they chose to include or not for this boxset vs the content of the released expanded releases we also have.

-30-

I like it - it preserves Elfman's preferred presentations and gives us more to enjoy.  The only downside for me is that they stuck to one disc for each score, which meant that they couldn't offer anything truly complete.  I do enjoy the weird hissy tape demos, which haven't popped up on expansions.

Elfman has been teasing something on his Instagram - what seems like rock songs!  Definitely drums and his vocals, based on the minor snippets he has shared.  I could use a little Boingo-style back in my life.

I watch this concert every Halloween. Were they ever planning on an album release? It was touring around for a quite a bit as I recall. I would LOVE a to have a recording of the suite from Batman/Batman Returns.

27 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

I watch this concert every Halloween. Were they ever planning on an album release?

No idea, but I was there at the premiere in London years ago! What an experience!

56 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

I would LOVE a to have a recording of the suite from Batman/Batman Returns.

We have the excellent recording of the Batman Suite by Erich Kunzel.

R-2879924-1337128792-7932.jpeg.jpg

That is a good one. Nice to hear the tempo at a decent pace. Sometimes it’s performed pretty slowly.... 

I’d actually love for a complete re-recording of Batman Returns with a bigger orchestra (I know the mere thought offends some fans of that score). It just sounds so tiny compared to Batman 89’. Which is a shame because the music itself is wonderful. 

I never liked what those Batman 89 suites (Kunzel and CoPPO) did with the finale - the OST version is nice and punchy and builds to its triumphant finish quickly, and the concert recordings noodle around so much more before they actually get there.  Less is more.  Wonder who arranged those...

3 hours ago, mstrox said:

Elfman has been teasing something on his Instagram - what seems like rock songs!  Definitely drums and his vocals, based on the minor snippets he has shared.  I could use a little Boingo-style back in my life.

Yes, I saw that. Wonder what he's working on. Like you, I'm game for some more Boingo-ish stuff, but I'm not going to get my hopes up for that.

12 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

Elfman's been prepping some solo songs over lockdown. Some of them were supposed to debut at Coachella. 

Ah! Yeah, we never got to hear the full programme of his Coachella gig. Label me curious!

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

My Danny Elfman collection just starts to be interesting. I can now say he's my favourite movie composer after John Williams.

20201020_110658.jpg

At least for me he is the movie composer whose concert hall work I admire most beside Williams'. 

How would you rank those Danny Elfman 25 scores? Or which ones are your favourites or in your Top 5 among this list?

• A Simple Plan
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • Article 99
  • Batman Returns
  • Beetlejuice
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
  • Corpse Bride
  • Dark Shadows
  • Dead Presidents
  • Dick Tracy
  • Dolores Claiborne
  • Dumbo
  • The Frighteners
  • Good Will Hunting
  • Hulk
  • Midnight Run
  • Nightbreed
  • Oz the Great and Powerfull
  • Pee Wee's Big Adventure
  • Planet of the Apes
  • Proof of Life
  • Red Dragon
  • Scrooged
  • Spider-Man 2

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

How would you rank those Danny Elfman 25 scores? Or which ones are your favourites or in your Top 5 among this list

1. BATMAN RETURNS

2. Midnight Run

3. Pee Wee's Big Adventure

4. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

5. Beetlejuice

6. Planet of the Apes

7. Scrooged

8. Dead Presidents

9. Dick Tracy

10. Alice in Wonderland

11. A Simple Plan

12. Nightbreed

13. Dolores Claiborne

14. Proof of Life

15. Corpse Bride

16. Red Dragon

17. Good Will Hunting

18. Spider-Man 2

19. Dark Shadows

20. Hulk

21. Article 99

22. Dumbo

23. Oz the Great and Powerfull

24. 9

25. The Frighteners

...or something to that effect.

I'm currently discovering the Danny Elfman/Tim Burton "Music Box".

Wow, imagine a boxset of John Williams/Steven Spielberg...  1 score per CD, the remastered original album + bonus tracks at the end, like the Music Box...  It would make how many CDs???

Sugarland... Sugarland...

:o

13 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Wow, imagine a boxset of John Williams/Steven Spielberg...  1 score per CD, the remastered original album + bonus tracks at the end, like the Magic Box...  It would make how many CDs???

No, thank you. Outside SUGARLAND and A TIMELESS CALL, that particular collaboration is sufficiently represented already. But an Altman/Williams box would be interesting, if it also included the early short film and TV work.

I don't own the Elfman/Burton box physically (even though I'm thanked in the accompanying book), but I have the material digitally. Some neat bits and pieces - like the MOMA music, Stainboy etc. The film scores I already have in perfectly fine soundtrack versions.

• 1 month later...
On 10/31/2020 at 7:16 AM, Bespin said:

Spider-Man 2 and Corpse Bride added to the "basic" collection! :heart:

20201031_101235.jpg

S2 is very good!

Boy, you have a lot of doubles!

I put them into double CD cases to save room; E.T; STV; etc. When an expanded version comes out..

Saves space😊

5 hours ago, Bayesian said:

We’re watching The Family Man on HBO right now, and I’m reminded that Elfman’s score for this movie has never been released. Why is that??

This is the promo, and I guess what an eventual release would look like: http://www.movie-wave.net/titles/family_man.html

I found that the cue 'Farewell' was the only one that ever really grabbed me - it's right at the end where Tea Leoni is lamenting their situation, and we get a wonderful statement of the 'main' (?) theme with woodwind and choir.

He's as bad as Giacchino with persistence with his track names. Only Elfman would put The Final Confrontation in a family drama :P

My personal Elfman collection is small:

One or two cues cues each from Spider 1 and 2, MIB, MIB:3, Dolores Claiborne, Edward Scissorhands, Batman, Planet of the Apes, Big Fish, Wanted, Terminator Salvation, Alice in Wonderland, Dark Shadows, Good Will Hunting (only the tracks from the OST)

Plus:

A Simple Plan

The Wolfman

Avengers: Age of Ultron

And by a country mile, the only Elfman score I've ever truly loved: Sleepy Hollow. One day this will get the full deluxe release it deserves.

@Richard PennaThis is what you call a small Elfman collection?

I mean, I like Elfman, but for me there is a limited set of Elfman works that I would really call original and worth listening without the movie. Day before yesterday I watched The Grinch with my kids. Probably one of the most forgettable  scores of Elfman, and there are some like these, so I personally wouldn't see the point in owning what you might call a big Elfman collection. 

I think, your collection is pretty good.

I used to be fanatical about Elfman like 20 years ago, until I wasn't anymore and realised only a few of his scores are worth owning*. And some of his Oingo albums/compilations are nice for a car trip.

*Music for a Darkened Theater Vol. 1

Pee Wee 1

Beetlejuice

Batman

Dick Tracy

Edward Scissorhands

Darkman

Nightbreed

Batman Returns

Nightmare Before Christmas

Sommersby

Black Beauty

Mars Attacks

Sleepy Hollow

Planet of the Apes

Spider-Man

Spider-Man 2

And that's it. And I've probably been generous and extended beyond the bare essentials.

1 hour ago, The Big Man said:

I used to be fanatical about Elfman like 20 years ago, until I wasn't anymore and realised only a few of his scores are worth owning*. And some of his Oingo albums/compilations are nice for a car trip.

*Music for a Darkened Theater Vol. 1

Pee Wee 1

Beetlejuice

Batman

Dick Tracy

Edward Scissorhands

Darkman

Nightbreed

Batman Returns

Nightmare Before Christmas

Sommersby

Black Beauty

Mars Attacks

Sleepy Hollow

Planet of the Apes

Spider-Man

Spider-Man 2

And that's it. And I've probably been generous and extended beyond the bare essentials.

You're indeed too generous. I'd whittle the bare essentials down to this:

Batman

Edward Scissorhands

A Nightmare Before Christmas

Hey if that's what you dig. But I reckon his most fruitful period was 1988 to 1996 where he produced his strongest output.

His last score that I kinda liked was The Wolfman, but I wouldn't recommend it in an Elfman starter kit.