Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (directed by Brad Bird, music by Michael Giacchino)

Jay

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right but what about the customers whose cars were being retrieved?

They would be outside the building, while the system would grab the cars and deliver them to the ground floor.

Therefore, the most you'd see of them would be maybe looking in from the outside.

Personally, I find it implausible that there would be no emergency service vehicles or news vans outside the Dubai building after the assasin girl's body hit the ground outside.

We'd likely have seen ambulances, police, panic, or even a crowd of looky-loos blocking the entrance to the tower. :)

Personally, I find it implausible that there would be no emergency service vehicles or news vans outside the Dubai building after the assasin girl's body hit the ground outside.

I might not remember it correctly but when she's falls out of the window the sandstorm is almost right there. I guess people would be inside for cover, the body hits the ground, Hunt runs after the guy to the outside and then the sandstorm goes over the tower. They might realize somebody fell afterwards or in the time Hunt takes to go all the way down (the elevators go quite fast I think).

I noticed that too - but then I realized the next scene when they were going over what happened, they were no longer in the hotel room, but some other place - presumably some safe place they had set up beforehand

• 2 weeks later...

Right but what about the customers whose cars were being retrieved?

In the one I've seen (in NY) customers don't have access to the actual garage. You just put your car on a platform and walk away. The area the Ghost Protocol people were in is akin to the inside of a computer, the cars like CDs.

Anyways, came here to say I bought the soundtrack...most enjoyable listen I've had other than War Horse/Super 8 this past year!

Just seen the film as well, and enjoyed all of it a lot - well, almost all of it. All of it, except those extremely corny last five minutes. What was that all about? All that "thanks to the team"-nonsense, ugh.

Oh, and was I the only one to have spent the ENTIRE movie thinking that the woman of the team (who totally couldn't act, by the way. Her redeeming factor was that she was Ana Ivanovic's 'ugly' sister) was a mole?

- When Sawyer died in the beginning, he whispered something to her that we didn't hear.

- There was an obvious fake mole with the analyst guy as diversion.

- She killed that assassin woman in an unnecessary way (who in my thinking then of course would know that she was a mole).

- etc.

Even when that corny ending began, I thought - it can't be that corny, so now she will be revealed :)

I guess I watched too much 24.

I saw the film a week ago, and yes it was very enternating. The skiscrapper scenes were tense. The score really good. I heard a hint of Super 8...

I almost dont miss anthing from the OST but of course i havent cross-checked the film/ost (i have listened to the ost today... i had forgotten i had it :P)

I haven't picked up the CD yet, but hearing it in the film, I very much liked the first part, but again too many of the action tracks in the second part were rather 'videogamey'. It all sounded pretty thin too frankly. Still loads better than most other filmmusic nowadays of course.

I don't know, I enjoyed the film a whole lot.

I found the Kremlin sequence to be very exciting.

Yes. It was exciting. That's what I want my "action-adventure" films to be. It was totally unlike Pirates 4.

The comedy moments did wonders to make me want to believe in the ridiculous story on screen as well.

Just seen the film as well, and enjoyed all of it a lot - well, almost all of it. All of it, except those extremely corny last five minutes. What was that all about? All that "thanks to the team"-nonsense, ugh.

I felt the same, it's like it was trying to be emotive about something that to the viewer wasn't that way.

Other things that put me off a bit: not knowing more of the villain and why the hell would he want that. And when Benji suddenly says he's sorry about whatever on low voice while they're infiltrating the freakin' Kremlin.

Yeah, the villain was very MacGyver-like, and coming right behind M:I 3's excellent villain, it was a bit disappointing.

On the other hand, it does fit into the rest of the film, in that it plays out its cards in a very straightforward way: it's a comedic adventure thriller, which goes out of its way to tell the audience that there's nothing really convoluted about the plot (something which I thus misunderstood I guess) - no moles, no complication, just the characters doing a few impossible missions in good spirit. That's also why it was very enjoyable - nothing new, but it doesn't want to do something new or earth-shattering. And in a certain way it's fresh in its enjoyability as well - given that for the past ten years all we've had are dark, gritty, shakey-cam vagueness and heavy-handed and misguided seriousness in thrillers on the cinema screen. I guess it harks back to the series in that way, and to that era of villains.

Other things that put me off a bit: not knowing more of the villain and why the hell would he want that. And when Benji suddenly says he's sorry about whatever on low voice while they're infiltrating the freakin' Kremlin.

He said he was sorry it didn't work out between Ethan and Julia.

Just a question...

The Tom Cruise running scenes... are sometkind of trademark of his, right?

Almost all the films i remember he does some running. I'll wager that even BOT4J has it (i havent seen it in its entirety) :P

Good montage.

Out for a Run is this year's Hunting for Jules! I can't stop listening to it, or cycling to it.

They're both pretty lame and forgettable if you ask me.

Bring back Hans Zimmer!

Seriously?

Definitely. I'm not the biggest fan of the guy, but I absolutely dig his score for MI:2. Arguably the most colourful, compelling and anthemic of all the scores in the series to date. Just good, dumb fun. Rarely a dull moment.

I've only heard a few tracks of 2 but I find Ghost Protocol way much more fun, more mission impossibleish so to speak. I dig the sound stuff like Railcar Rundown, or the Dubai introduction cue, or From Russia with Shove from 1:50 on.

Yeah, Giacchino (and Elfman to a large degree) really captured the sound and feel of the original series. Even Zimmer has admitted he completely messed up M:I 2. Its fine if you enjoy it, but most M:I fans don't want Zimmer anywhere near this franchise.

MG keeps letting me down. Star Trek was THE most disappointing score of my lifetime as a filmscoring fan, Cars 2 was not very good, Super 8 was just OK...hmmmm still waiting to be blown away by the guy...

I appreciate Zimmer's score for what it is: a fluffy ball of corn that suited the film pretty well and is actually a pretty fun listen on CD. It's definitely a new territory for Zimmer, although it's clear who it's written by.

But I think my favorite score is the 3rd one (haven't heard/seen part 4 yet).

I appreciate Zimmer's score for what it is: a fluffy ball of corn that suited the film pretty well and is actually a pretty fun listen on CD. It's definitely a new territory for Zimmer, although it's clear who it's written by.

But I think my favorite score is the 3rd one (haven't heard/seen part 4 yet).

Generally not a Zimmer fan, but I liked what he did on MI:2

Do I hear whistling in Hendricks' Manifesto,at around 3:00, with the trio of downward phrases of the MI theme...?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I just saw MI: GP, it was okay, but there are a few things I dont follow e.g. the storyline of Ethan faking Julia's death to get into the Moscow prison. Anyone?

Faking her death was the only way to ensure she'd be safe from bad guys that wanted to kill her

Faking her death was the only way to ensure she'd be safe from bad guys that wanted to kill her

Still puzzles me in several ways. Anyway.

So they are still married? Why is she with the other guy?

Ethan had to have a REASON for being in the prison, so they invented a story that assassins killed his wife, and then he went bezerk and killed the assassins, and that's why he was in jail.

This both protects Julia, cause they think she is dead, and makes it not seem weird that Ethan is now in the same jail as the arms dealer guy.

Yea, I guess they came to some understanding that they can't be together but at least they can be alive, or something.

So they are still married? Why is she with the other guy?

If you've seen MI:III, Julia works at a hospital. The other guy is clearly in hospital clothing. :)

This is literally one of the stupidest movies I have ever seen. Beats me why this was so successful, with the audience as well as critics. Ah well.

But the music was okay, quite good, actually.

Thank you! I think you and I are the only ones on the board who weren't crazy about MI4. MI3 was way better.

Yea, the score is great!

Thank you! I think you and I are the only ones on the board who weren't crazy about MI4. MI3 was way better.

I am not all that crazy about M:I 1,2, and 3 either, but at least they were not cringeworthy like M:I 4.

Maybe it's got to do with the fact that I know the old TV show from the 60s and 70s (I own the Complete Series Box). And oh man, what a great show. Each episode a little suspenseful spy/heist movie unto itself. I could watch these old episodes for days on end...

I loved MI1

MI2 was one of the worst movies I've seen

MI3 was a fun action adventure movie

MI4 had a bunch of great scenes, but was overall pretty empty and way too over the top, even for a MI movie

Yeah out of these the first movie is still the best! (Plus, I am a fan of Emmanuelle Beart.) :)

Ghost Protocol almost seemed like a comedy at times, or a parody of the other M:I movies. And the worst thing was, it wasn't all that funny. It had some impressive set pieces for sure, but overall, I was none too impressed with this entry.

The problem with all the movies is that they become the Tom Cruise Show instead of being about a an entire TEAM completing missions together. They all have team scenes for a while but they also all have too much Tom Cruise solo parts

MI:4 had some fun set pieces, but I thought started to fall apart a bit by the end. The sub-plot about Hunt's wife was pointless IMO.

Enjoyable for what it was, but I wouldn't watch it again.