Upcoming talented composer- check it out!

This guy has been doing some amazing work for a while now and it's worth getting his name out to fans of classic film score sound. Scary thing is the guy is in his early 20s. Whew. Mounds of talent.

In this link, check out Into The Lair in particular. Just phenomenal stuff.

http://soundcloud.com/search?q%5Bfulltext%5D=alex+temple

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Not bad.

Did you check out Into the Lair? His other stuff is pretty terrific too. Maybe it's just because I also compose, but I really appreciate this guy's skill. Writing music like this ain't easy.

I probably won't get to check this out till maybe Friday, but has that James Patterson (that was his name, right?) guy come up with anything since The Red Canvas? I really enjoyed his Rozsa-influenced style.

I like his stuff. Even though he uses synths, he doesn't sound like he was trained on them, which is becoming a problem it seems like.

Yeah, Temple is getting his degree in composition at college and he's got a string piece on their which clearly exhibits his ability to write for real musicians. As someone who uses samples and sequencers, I think the technology is really hurting music. It's much harder to think in terms of melodic shape and phrasing when you've got that damned fascist little metronome bleeping at you as you play stuff in line by line in realtime. This also lends itself to static meters and tempi with little to no fluctuation in either. Writing on paper or even Sibelius or Finale allows the composer to think in terms of these fundamental compositional ways. It's less about formal training and more about the interface. One allows the composer to "freeze" a thought or moment, distill it, then take it apart and re-shape it (traditional). the other one forces the composer to conform to the lexicon presented by its interface (technology) which seems almost antithetical to producing music that embodies the elements most of us fell in love with and which most humans can connect with.

I know that Temple does compose most of his stuff on Sibelius and realizes it afterwards in Sonar for mock ups. It's clear in the writing the clarity of the ideas here. It's why someone like Williams now is pretty much standing apart from everyone else in Hollywood. He writes traditionally.

Do you know if he's interested in writing for film? Looking at his site it seems like he's more interested in writing for the music hall.

Not bad.

Did you check out Into the Lair? His other stuff is pretty terrific too. Maybe it's just because I also compose, but I really appreciate this guy's skill. Writing music like this ain't easy.

That was the only one I listened to so far. It started out alright but got a lot better as the piece progressed. Very clear melodic ideas, but the synths really hurt it.