LOTR Complete Recordings Out Of Print? Being Reissued?

Trent Hoyt

It is strange that they keep running out of CRs so quickly. Why doesn't the label press bigger batches while they are at it when obviously there is demand for them.

Sometimes they appear to be OOP for 3-4 months before they come back into stock. But they always do.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
4 hours ago, SafeUnderHill said:

I presume re-released LOTR CRs means just another batch of the same product? Not like re-doing FOTR for those unhappy with it around here.

I think studios and labels are watching intently for JWFan to know our wishes and act accordingly! I solemnly believe so! ;)

I am really glad if these sets return to the market as I know many who missed them the first time around. Especially The Two Towers seems to be the one most fans have been waiting for.

1 hour ago, SafeUnderHill said:

What would be the point of new packaging if nothing is changed, surely they should just print more of the same product they've already made many copies of?

There are packaging far easier to produce than the CR deluxe boxes with rubber knobs, sturdy booklets, silken bookmarks and DVDs. Certainly cheaper.

Yup, makes sense.

Boy, I would KILL if they actually re-did FOTR to remove the tracked moments, though!

(And replace them with Shore's original intentions, I mean)

Isolated scores - will probably never happen.  None of the major film studios really care about that bonus feature any more.  And Twilight Time would never been able to afford the licensing fees to put the films out on their label.

Sheet music - I have no idea about that one, but I'd reckon its not something that will happen while Shore's alive, probably?

Plus these films are with Warner, who previously licenced out to no-one (unless in very exceptional cases, usually at the behest of the director), though over the past year seem to have acquiesced to Criterion's demands. In sum, no-one else has a deal proper with them, and I don't see that challenging, especially for enormous-selling titles of the magnitude of LOTR.

On Freitag, 4. März 2016 at 0:37 PM, SafeUnderHill said:

What would be the point of new packaging if nothing is changed, surely they should just print more of the same product they've already made many copies of?

Taking a page out of the Lucas playbook ...?

Why would Doug work on rereleases at all if nothing is changed?

On 11/3/2016 at 8:12 PM, gkgyver said:

Taking a page out of the Lucas playbook ...?

Why would Doug work on rereleases at all if nothing is changed?

Maybe he is working on the hobbit complete recordings, and they need his suggestions to modify the LOTR packages in order to have the same design as the new hobbit ones...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey @Doug Adams :wave:

Is there a change you think that a reissue announcement might be coming this year?

I am hopeful that perhaps the parties involved wanted to wait until the new Blu Ray set was announced before announcing a new music release.  With that arriving on October 4th, maybe an announcement could happen soon?

I somehow forgot that you said earlier this year, that you worked on them last year:

On 3/3/2016 at 7:05 PM, SafeUnderHill said:

So hopefully they are almost ready to be released!

I bought all of the CR's as they came out, ripped them and don't think I've touched them since. Had no idea until I saw this thread that they'd gone OOP, or become so valuable.  Not that I'd sell them, they'd have to be worth more than a few hundred pounds for me to do that.  But glad I grabbed these when I did.

Doesn't really belong here but are people aware that Doug features in the upcoming "The Prequels Strike Back" and talks about JE's music in it?

Reckon it is a segment that will be of interest to a few on here.

Between 2008 and 2012 or so they seemed to go in and out of print, but since then all three have been completely out of print.  Doug occasionally posted to his blog that they weren't out of print but simply out of stock and would come back, but they never did, and he eventually stopped posting about them all together.  Until that tweet!

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Take this Star Wars talk to General Discussion please!

Sorry, just posted it in here real quickly as I figured people interested in Doug's opinion where more likely to visit here! 

Wont happen again Gov'nor! 

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

John Entwistle?

Jesse Eisenberg?

Jenna Elfman?

Sorry, fat thumbs, small iPhone keyboard! 

5 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Doesn't really belong here but are people aware that Doug features in the upcoming "The Prequels Strike Back" and talks about JE's music in it?

Reckon it is a segment that will be of interest to a few on here.

Sweet! 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

I have FOTR and ROTK CR, and have been searching for years for TTT. so disappointed to not have all 3.

It's readily available on eBay, as long as you're willing to pay.

I just checked ebay prices. ~£500 seems to be the rough asking price.

To those who don't have at least one of them - what stopped you buying them when they were first released? Were you just not into the scores at that point?

It's crazy that RotK is the only one available digitally.

When TTT CR was released I was 11 and not really bothered about the film scores. By the time I really got into them, I think TTT was already or close to being out of print, though I was in time for FOTR and ROTK. I have mp3 rips of TTT but am hungry for the full package...