LOTR Complete Recordings Out Of Print? Being Reissued?

Trent Hoyt

What's up with TTT and ROTK being out of print? They're both out of stock on Amazon and SAE.

ADMIN Note:
Click
HERE to jump to Doug Adams actually confirming via twitter that he worked on reissues in 2015.

That is, um, interesting. I only have the first two CR's, and was planning on getting the third once I am rich enough to afford it. Hopefully it won't be too hard to find at that point (if that point ever arrives).

so even though I don't particularly care that much for the Last Crusade, I'd still say that without a doubt the 3 scores from Raiders, TOD, and LC are qualitatively better than lotr stuff, but as a sleep aid the lotr stuff is superior. I had to make this an Indiana Jones Thread somehow

We're polar opposites Joe - Crusade is my favourite film and score, and LotR is nothing less than my favourite score.

PS: The entire contents of the above post was the author's opinion.

We're polar opposites Joe - Crusade is my favourite film and score, and LotR is nothing less than my favourite score.

PS: The entire contents of the above post was the author's opinion.

I'm sorry.

• 4 weeks later...

It appears the complete recordings are either out of print or on a selling hold right now. It appears no one has a clear answer at this time.I believe Ford Thaxton said New Line is being bought by Warner Bros so things are on hold with them.

Whereas Doug (if memory serves, forgive me if I'm wrong here) earlier claimed that New Line didn't have anything to do with the releases, as the scores and everything about them were Shore's original property. And I don't think Reprise is in any way directly affiliated with New Line?

What it comes down to is: Nobody except the people directly involved seems to have a clue what's really going on. What we do know: WB's online store has the CRs on sale, and they do still pop up occasionally at Amazon.com. Other than that, they seem to be gone for now.

• 3 years later...

The Two Towers and The Return of the King Complete Recordings are Out Of Print

Why just those two, I don't know. But maybe I'll finally get those two when they are re-released. Not sure why FOTR is not on the list.

http://musictap.net/2011/07/13/tapnotes-07132011/

That article is wrong. They are not being reissued, because they never went out of print. Supply and demand just makes it go out of and come back into stock in places. More info here:

http://www.musicoflotr.com/p/music-of-lord-of-rings-faq.html

I don't find this occasional out-of-stock situation to be all that strange, as most people do. After all, these are more complicated products to manufacture.

Karol

I need Fellowship Of The Ring. I hope it gets back in stock soon so I can buy it for 50 some dollars and not $100+ for what scalpers are wanting.

But they have new copies for $54.70.... For a savings of $6.70, you might get a copy that is scratched, dented, comes from a smokey home...

Glad they are available again for those who thought they were not. They are essential to anyone who loves film music. I would love the Star Wars scores to be taken care of with such attention to detail.

On 7/14/2011 at 3:50 PM, Demondm810 said:

Glad they are avilable again. They are essential to anyone who loves film music. I would love the Star Wars scores to be taken care of with such attention to detail.

Like i said, they were never gone. The article Stewdog linked to is completely wrong.

If you go to amazon right now there are new copies of TTT and ROTK available, for example

They did redesign the boxes though. With The Fellowship Of The Ring, the box had a curved spine that was easily creased. With The Two Towers and The Return Of The King, I believe, they made the spine flat. Not sure if they ever rereleased Fellowship with the new design though.

I wouldn't be surprised if some box set or something will come along with The Hobbit, so I'll wait.

I think you will love the book, plus you get tracks from FOTR (one which is previously released just with an extended opening and slightly different mix)

They did redesign the boxes though. With The Fellowship Of The Ring, the box had a curved spine that was easily creased. With The Two Towers and The Return Of The King, I believe, they made the spine flat. Not sure if they ever rereleased Fellowship with the new design though.

I wouldn't be surprised if some box set or something will come along with The Hobbit, so I'll wait.

There's no point in those of us who have two of the three (plus book) to spend extra money for a box set again. I'd just assume to pay $50+ to get FOTR and then the book and be done with it.

There's no point in those of us who have two of the three (plus book) to spend extra money for a box set again. I'd just assume to pay $50+ to get FOTR and then the book and be done with it.

You could say that for any box set EVER!

Once Fellowship Of The Ring becomes back in stock again I'm getting it right away so I don't have to worry about it again.

Same here. I don't want the other two, but I have a soft spot for FOTR and I'd like to buy the CR.

Who's that guy ? He seems so full of himself ! "I've worked with Howard Shore". Yeah, right, and I'm John Williams' ass-wiper !

Be nice, now ...

:P

D

Welcome Doug! :)

"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy..." (This should be official the JWFan tagline.)

Welcome! :)

Mine look all the same...

:music: The Silence Of The Lambs by Howard Shore

Karol

Er, what? I got the Fellowship box when it was first released, and it's the same shape as the other two o_O

I do not know if it was the fault of the shipping or a new design but my FotR set has a more curved spine compared to the other two.

On 7/14/2011 at 10:54 PM, Doug Adams said:
On 7/14/2011 at 3:35 PM, BloodBoal said:
On 7/14/2011 at 3:32 PM, Jason LeBlanc said:

Who's that guy ? He seems so full of himself ! "I've worked with Howard Shore". Yeah, right, and I'm John Williams' ass-wiper !

Be nice, now ...

D

Welcome to the forum Doug!

:beerchug:

I do not know if it was the fault of the shipping or a new design but my FotR set has a more curved spine compared to the other two.

All I've noticed is that my TTT spine is flat as a pancake and FotR isn't. Not something I've ever thought about, as the boxes are such wonderful constructions.

The article sounds to me like nothing more than Reprise have noticed a lot of places are out of stock, and have ordered a new pressing run.

I bought all mine on the day of release, and FOTR is curved while TTT and ROTK are flat

img0312pyg.jpg

I think there are curved TTTs out there, though, from what I remember. Dunno about ROTK.

I bought my TTT from an online vendor that wasn't Amazon, and the box arrived slightly unglued. But I graciously paid full price (or used a friend's employee discount) for these as soon as they came out. They were that critical to get before they disappeared, considering they never showed up in any local brick and mortar.

Ah well, maybe you're right. I didn't move or open the sets in quite a while. I used to read liner notes, but I guess they are redundant now that I have the book.

Karol

Ah well, maybe you're right. I didn't move or open the sets in quite a while. I used to read liner notes, but I guess they are now redundant when I have the book.

Karol

On the other hand it is a bit sad that now in the age of digital music these box sets just sit on the shelf once you have ripped the music. I can't remember when I last opened them, played the actual CDs or read the liner notes. But I turn to the The Music of the LotR Films book more often these days.

Be nice, now ...

D

It's always the same: whenever you insult someone on the internet, the person just pops up out of nowhere in no time. I knew you'll come here, Dougie. Big mistake ! Go back to your blog talking about your Complete Recordings no one cares about. The OST presentation was just fine. You shouldn't have released all this music. Nobody wants to listen to 10 hours of ramblings that tries to mimic music.

Wow. I'm turning into king mark !

We are all king marks in our heart of hearts.

Welcome Doug! bowdown

Doug has been here for a while, infact he linked BloodBoals the "Lighting of the Beacons vs. The White Tree" to his blog (so you should be nice to the one who got you publicity BloodBoal!) and said that he lurked/posted here from time to time

Welcome Doug!

:wave:

These sets are magnificent and while they contain quite bit of music, I enjoy every minute of them. The good thing is that for those who feel it's too much, there are the regular releases.