LOTR Complete Recordings Out Of Print? Being Reissued?

Trent Hoyt

11 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

A travesty and insult to my country that ended the career of that Kanadian twat!

Goldmember was a box office smash, the most successful of the trilogy.

It was The Love Guru, his insult to India that ended his career!  Nobody cared when The Netherlands or Scotland were insulted ;) 

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

Not for long! The spirit of William Wallace still runs strong in the Highlands! Scotland will soon set itself free from the English enslaver, and go back into the arms of its European friends, just like Ireland!

They had their chance... and voted against it!

Gobshites! 

23 minutes ago, Barnald said:

Insane Irish

:angry:

As Shore was involved with these releases I don't think it would have been that different. And again these seem to have been meant for a broader market than just soundtrack collectors and were presented with that in mind. Hence no extra discs of alternates but simply the complete score in the form the composer intended it. With the exception of the journeyman's trial run of the Fellowship of the Ring, which didn't quite follow the form of the latter two.

But given free hands a specialty label would have probably done things somewhat differently for certain.

22 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Definitely, something would be missing from the booklet cover!

Yes! The One Ring!

I think the only major problem with the sets is that because TRA was a mass market product, they went for a 'listening experience' rather than using the opportunity to release more alternates. If LLL/Intrada had handled them, we'd have had a more comprehensive bonus section, but I think the main body would be unchanged.

13 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Speaking of loops, I can't believe this conversation is happening again!

Release the book Doug!!

It is a Ring, not a loop Bilbo! The One True Ring! Circles upon circles of discussions until mercy is granted by a book/CR release.

Which score is more comprehensive/ accurately represented on album - The Phantom Menace (The Ultimate Edition) or Fellowship of the Ring (The Complete Recordings)?

How much of Fellowship is film edit versus original?

I personally don't mind Fellowships various looping because I think the substantial amount of music we got follows the film quite closely. Even though TTT and RotK are the preferred format I think Fellowship, to my mind, doesn't deviate too much to demand Shore's head! :D

43 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Which score is more comprehensive/ accurately represented on album - The Phantom Menace (The Ultimate Edition) or Fellowship of the Ring (The Complete Recordings)?

Fellowship, definitely. The only person out there to think the FOTR CR is as awful as the TPM UE is gkgyver. But the truth is, the FOTR CR is better in every possible way. Even if you're not looking for looped and tracked music, you can easily spot it on the TPM UE: it's all over the place, and often disturbs the listening experience. On the FOTR CR, you have to be really familiar with the score as heard in the film and on the OST to really spot all the microedits, tracked and looped music.

Frankly, before gkgyver and Fal started pointing out all the stuff like that on the FOTR CR, I didn't even notice it.

29 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Less than 10% of the FOTR CR is made up of film edits, I'd say (if by film edit vs original, you mean "tracked music that replaces different music meant to appear in a particular spot").

33 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Frankly, before gkgyver and Fal started pointing out all the stuff like that on the FOTR CR, I didn't even notice it.

Neither did I, it was through this forum I discovered the changes too.

34 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Less than 10% of the FOTR CR is made up of film edits, I'd say (if by film edit vs original, you mean "tracked music that replaces different music meant to appear in a particular spot").

Yes. I didn't think the edits were insanely inappropriate, or as drastic as others have purported haha 

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

Fellowship, easily, no question.

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

The entire thing seems to be an iso score of the EE cut of the film, with a few "repetitive bars" removed, and a few instances of unused music restored.  This is noticeable because the MIX matches the film mix throughout (the OST album and Rarities disc feature different mixes, most specifically noticeable with the choir heard in those places that is dialed down in the film mix), all the film's looping, tracking, and editing is retained, etc.

All that being said, a huge majority of cues didn't get edited, looped, or tracked in the final film, and all the looping tracking and editing is so relatively well done, none of it really sticks out.

The only reason we really started to notice the stuff is when Faleel started poking through various LOTR video games, and the unedited versions of all the cues showed up.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Fellowship, easily, no question.

The entire thing seems to be an iso score of the EE cut of the film, with a few "repetitive bars" removed, and a few instances of unused music restored.  This is noticeable because the MIX matches the film mix throughout (the OST album and Rarities disc feature different mixes, most specifically noticeable with the choir heard in those places that is dialed down in the film mix), all the film's looping, tracking, and editing is retained, etc.

All that being said, a huge majority of cues didn't get edited, looped, or tracked in the final film, and all the looping tracking and editing is so relatively well done, none of it really sticks out.

The only reason we really started to notice the stuff is when Faleel started poking through various LOTR video games, and the unedited versions of all the cues showed up.

Does anybody actually have a master fan mix of the Fellowship scores - repeated tracks removed, microedits restored, unused cues restored, and alternates in one cohesive group at the end?

56 minutes ago, Trent B said:

The Phantom Menace UE is a complete mess.  That is nearly an isolated score.

I thought that's exactly what it is.

I only usually notice one or two instances in the FotE CR where it's been film-edited or the mix altered. Not something that bothers me.

1 minute ago, Richard Penna said:

I thought that's exactly what it is.

No, it differs from what's actually in the film in 3 spots.

I still don't lose much sleep over the form and shape of the FotR CR. I wish Shore had had time to rescore some of the tracked bits and would have loved to hear a few more unused passages restored to the presentation (e.g. Amon Hen Seduction of the Ring choir extension) but otherwise it is far from disaster some of the comments here seem to make it out to be. But yes I understand how the lack of absolute perfection in the presentation of this fan favourite that might gal some people to no end.

14 minutes ago, Incanus said:

I wish Shore had had time to rescore some of the tracked bits

But he did! At least, I can't think of a scene with tracked music that didn't originally have music written for it.

30 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

But he did! At least, I can't think of a scene with tracked music that didn't originally have music written for it.

All those History of the Ring theme tracked moments I keep hearing about were indeed originally scored but with something different not using that specific theme. I meant above that some new variations on the theme would have been preferable of course.

17 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

There are definitely people on here that would thrawl through every single take. 

It's over one month of continuous audio for all the three scores as I seem to remember Doug Adams mentioning at one point. Or something in that ballpark. Like a lot.

6 minutes ago, Incanus said:

It's over one month of continuous audio as I seem to remember Doug Adams mentioning at one point. Or something in that ballpark. Like a lot.

Still not as long as the demos for Zimmer's Joker theme!

13 minutes ago, Incanus said:

It's over one month of continuous audio for all the three scores as I seem to remember Doug Adams mentioning at one point. Or something in that ballpark. Like a lot.

Fal would be on it like flies on cowshite! 

6 hours ago, Incanus said:

So many rhaita overdubs....

12 hours ago, Jim Ware said:

So many rhaita overdubs....

So it is 15 days of actual recordings and 15 days of rhaita overdubs. Sounds about right.