Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1

fommes

Here's the complete cue list for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 (kindly posted by Phoenix):

1M2 – SCRIMGEOUR SPEECH
1M3 – HERMIONE OBLIVIATES HER PARENTS
1M4 – SNAPE TO MALFOY MANOR
1M5 – VOLDEMORT
1M6 – HARRY’S CLOSET AND POLYJUICE
2M7 PT 1– TAKING OFF / SKY BATTLE
2M7 PT 2 – SKY BATTLE
2M7 PT 3 – SKY BATTLE Pt 3
2M8 – LANDING AT BURROWS
2M8 EDIT – LANDING AT BURROWS
2M11 – HARRY TRIES TO LEAVE
2M12 – HEADLINES + KISS
2M14 – TENT UP – SCRIMGEOUR ARRIVES
2M15 - WILL READING
2M18 – WEDDING CONVERSATION Part 2
2M19 – WEDDING ATTACK
2M19 – (New)
3M24 – CAFE OBLIVIATION
3M25 – GRIMMAULD PLACE
3M27 SIRIUS’S ROOM
3M29 – KREACHER & THE LOCKET
3M30-31-32 – DEATHEATER SEARCHING
3M34 – KREACHER, DOBBY AND MUNDUNGUS
3M38 – INTO THE MINISTRY OF MAGIC
4M41 – THE DETONATORS
4M43 – THE COURTROOM
4M44 – ESCAPING WITH THE LOCKET
4M45 HEADING FOR THE FIREPLACES
4M45A – TWISTER
4M46 – THE LOCKET
4M48 – SCABIOR SMELLS HERMIONE
4M48 – Part 1 – RADIO + HERMIONE
4M49 – EXODUS
5M49A – RON’S JEALOUSY / TRAVELLING MONTAGE 1
5M50 Pt1 – RON SNAPS
5M51 – RON LEAVES
5M51 – TRAVELLING MONTAGE
5M53 – ON THE ROCKS
5m55 – THE GRAVEYARD
6M56 – BATHILDA BAGSHOT
6M57 – NAGINI THE SNAKE
6M59 – HERMIONE’S PARENTS / PATRONUS
6M60 – THE SWORD OF GRYFFINDOR
6M61 – RON’S RETURN
6M62 – DESTROYING THE LOCKET
6M62 Part 1NEW – DESTROYING THE LOCKET
6M63 – RON’S SPEECH
7M65 – XENOPHILIUS LOVEGOOD
7M68 – THE DEATHLY HALLOWS
7M69 – LEAVING THE LOVEGOOD’S
7M70 – SNATCHER’S CHASE
7M72 – SCABIOR SPOTS HARRY
7M73 – HARRY TO MALFOY’S MANOR
8M74 – DRACO – HARRY – SWORD – BELLATRIX
8M75 – HERMIONE TORTURED
8M76 – DOBBY APPEARS
8M77 PT1 – HARRY & RON TO THE RESCUE Part 1
8M77 PT2 – HARRY & RON TO THE RESCUE Part 2
8M79 – DOBBY DIES
8M80 – HARRY BURIES DOBBY
8M81 – THE ELDER WAND

-----

Here's an editing guide to put the score in the correct chronological order.

01 SCRIMGEOUR SPEECH / HERMIONE OBLIVIATES HER PARENTS
Track 1

02 SNAPE TO MALFOY MANOR
Track 2

03 VOLDEMORT
Bonus Disc Track

04 POLYJUICE
Track 3

05 TAKING OFF / SKY BATTLE
Track 4

06 LANDING AT THE BURROW
Track 5

07 KISS
Track 6

08 TENT UP / SCRIMGEOUR ARRIVES / WILL READING
Track 7

09 WEDDING ATTACK
Track 8 1:20-1:49
(This is in fact not “Wedding Attack” but the cue “New” between “Wedding Conversation” and “Wedding Attack”.)

10 CAFE OBLIVIATION
Track 8 0:00-1:20

11 GRIMMAULD PLACE / SIRIUS’S ROOM
Bonus Disc Track

12 KREACHER & THE LOCKET / DEATHEATER SEARCHING
Track 12 0:00-0:53 + Track 8 1:49-end
(Part 1 of “Kreacher & The Locket” is unreleased.)

13 KREACHER, DOBBY AND MUNDUNGUS
Track 9

14 INTO THE MINISTRY OF MAGIC
Track 10

15 THE DETONATORS
Track 11

16 THE COURTROOM
Track 12 0:53-end
(Part 1 of “The Courtroom” is unreleased.)

17 ESCAPING WITH THE LOCKET / HEADING FOR THE FIREPLACES / TWISTER
Track 13

18 EXODUS
Track 15

19 RON LEAVES
Track 14

20 ON THE ROCKS
Bonus Disc Track (“The Dumbledores”)

21 THE GRAVEYARD
Track 16

22 BATHILDA BAGSHOT / NAGINI THE SNAKE
Track 17

23 HERMIONE’S PARENTS / PATRONUS / THE SWORD OF GRYFFINDOR / RON’S RETURN
Track 18

24 DESTROYING THE LOCKET
Track 19

25 RON’S SPEECH
Track 20

26 XENOPHILIUS LOVEGOOD
Track 21

27 THE TALE OF THE THREE BROTHERS
Bonus Disc Track
About the second part of this track: it is used in the film in the scene where the trio is making plans to go and see Lovegood, so it's probably intended there. But I don't believe you can get a clean edit of the opening, so I think it's better left here at the end of the Three Brothers cue for listening purposes.

28 THE DEATHLY HALLOWS
Track 22

29 LEAVING THE LOVEGOODS’
Bonus Disc Track “Bellatrix” 0:00-0:28

30 SNATCHERS’ CHASE / SCABIOR SPOTS HARRY / HARRY TO MALFOY’S MANOR
Track 23

31 DRACO, HARRY, SWORD, BELLATRIX
Bonus Disc Track “Bellatrix” 0:28-end

32 HARRY & RON TO THE RESCUE PART 2
Track 24
(Actually also includes the first part of "Dobby Dies".)

33 DOBBY DIES / HARRY BURIES DOBBY
Track 25
(The first half consists of the second part of "Dobby Dies".)

34 THE ELDER WAND
Track 26

35 MY LOVE IS ALWAYS HERE
Bonus Disc Track

Notes:

- Some tracks contain the same cue twice but with a different mix (leaving certain sections out and in).
Track 2 contains “Snape to Malfoy Manor” twice, mixed differently.
Track 6 contains “Kiss” twice: first the piano without the string section, then the complete orchestration.
Track 20 also seems to contain the cue “Ron’s Speech” twice, but this time it’s just a reprise.
Track 21 is harder to dissect, but it seems to be an edit too. (Which is why it wouldn’t match up with the film.)
Track 25: there’s a short reprise in “Harry Buries Dobby” as well.

- “The Tale of the Three Brothers” and “My Love Is Always Here” are not in the cue list.

- As an aside, there's lots of tracked music in the film. For instance, the first part of “The Deathly Hallows” is tracked and used instead of “Wedding Conversation”; or “Tent Up” is tracked into the Lovegood arrival scene.

- By absence of a genuine end credits, “My Love Is Always Here” is an excellent source track to close off the album. (It disrupts the listening experience a bit when you put it chronologically.)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does that make the score any more interesting?

Actually, I think it does (even though I'm a big fan of this score of the first hour anyway). The listening experience improved - inserting the bonus tracks improved the order of the tracks regarding variation and flow, especially towards the end.

• 3 weeks later...

19 RON LEAVES

Track 14

20 ON THE ROCKS

Bonus Disc Track (“The Dumbledores”)

21 THE GRAVEYARD

Track 16

22 BATHILDA BAGSHOT / NAGINI THE SNAKE

Track 17

23 HERMIONE’S PARENTS / PATRONUS / THE SWORD OF GRYFFINDOR / RON’S RETURN

Track 18

I watched the film a few days ago with your editing guide. The only change I see is that 19 RON LEAVES comes after 23 HERMIONE’S PARENTS / PATRONUS / THE SWORD OF GRYFFINDOR / RON’S RETURN. In the film 19 RON LEAVES starts immediately after Harry is being dragged to the top of the ice by the locket while trying to retrieve the sword. Otherwise, thanks for doing this, it is very well thought out.

I watched the film a few days ago with your editing guide. The only change I see is that 19 RON LEAVES comes after 23 HERMIONE’S PARENTS / PATRONUS / THE SWORD OF GRYFFINDOR / RON’S RETURN. In the film 19 RON LEAVES starts immediately after Harry is being dragged to the top of the ice by the locket while trying to retrieve the sword. Otherwise, thanks for doing this, it is very well thought out.

It's tracked in the film; it's in its right place here.

And thanks - you're welcome!

For the life of me I don't understand why Yates left a piece like "Ron Leaves", arguably one of the best on album, off the film.

You can't? The same guy who didn't use Williams because he "couldn't bear to show Williams the unfinished prints to use to score"?? ;)

And great thread, Fommes. Thanks!

Don't remind me ...

I can just imagine the scene: David Yates and John Williams enter the theatre to spot a rough cut of the film.

After 2 hours, a concerned Yates steps out and approaches David Heyman. "David, can I talk to you?"

They step aside. "David", Yates says, "I cannot work with this man."

Don't remind me ...

I can just imagine the scene: David Yates and John Williams enter the theatre to spot a rough cut of the film.

After 2 hours, a concerned Yates steps out and approaches Paul Heyman. "Paul, can I talk to you?"

They step aside. "Paul", Yates says, "I cannot work with this man."

:lol:

It's tracked in the film; it's in its right place here.

And thanks - you're welcome!

Ah yes, the 'film version' vs the 'composer's intended version.' I love that.

What do you mean?

In any case, there's more tracked in the film than that cue and the ones I mentioned before.

My comment was referring to films in general, not specifically referring to this film. How some people want a score as it appears in the film and others want it how the composer intended it to be heard.

I listened to the LP from the deluxe box today:

Side B (The Journey) is "Obliviate" (without "Scrimgeour Speech") and Side A (The Deathly Hallows) "Snape to Malfoy's Manor".

So they charge more for a bonus LP, and have the LP only contain material on the OST under other names. What a joke.

• 2 weeks later...

Why is My Love Is Always There not on the album? Also I noticed Desplat did write music for the Deathly Hallows sequence, but it sounds more like sound effects.

What are you asking exactly?

- It is on the album, it's on the bonus disc.

- It is not in the cue list, just like Tale of Three Brothers.

- It is in the above editing guide, but placed as a bonus track, 1) because it disrupts the flow when placed chronologically and 2) because it is an awesome closer for the score (functioning almost like a proper end credits)

Also I noticed Desplat did write music for the Deathly Hallows sequence, but it sounds more like sound effects.

The first part of The Tale of the Three Brothers is the underscore for the first part of the three brothers part in the film. It is very unclear if the second part in the film has underscore - I think it is only SFX perhaps with a bit of sampled or tracked music bits (or bits that sound like music)... or just only SFX - I can't really tell.

As an aside, the only thing that's guesswork in the above editing guide is the second part of The Tale of the Three Brothers, which is used for a slightly earlier scene in the film, but it could also be tracked in there and originally intended for the second part of the three brothers animation (the mood of the piece certainly fits - the timing not exactly).

But this point is rendered pretty redundant anyway by the fact that you can't get a clean opening of the piece due to the mixing of the bonus disc track. Plus I think it works better if you don't edit it, but as mentioned above, it's your choice.

What are you asking exactly?

- It is on the album, it's on the bonus disc.

- It is not in the cue list, just like Tale of Three Brothers.

- It is in the above editing guide, but placed as a bonus track, 1) because it disrupts the flow when placed chronologically and 2) because it is an awesome closer for the score (functioning almost like a proper end credits)

Also I noticed Desplat did write music for the Deathly Hallows sequence, but it sounds more like sound effects.

The first part of The Tale of the Three Brothers is the underscore for the first part of the three brothers part in the film. It is very unclear if the second part in the film has underscore - I think it is only SFX perhaps with a bit of sampled or tracked music bits (or bits that sound like music)... or just only SFX - I can't really tell.

As an aside, the only thing that's guesswork in the above editing guide is the second part of The Tale of the Three Brothers, which is used for a slightly earlier scene in the film, but it could also be tracked in there and originally intended for the second part of the three brothers animation (the mood of the piece certainly fits - the timing not exactly).

But this point is rendered pretty redundant anyway by the fact that you can't get a clean opening of the piece due to the mixing of the bonus disc track. Plus I think it works better if you don't edit it, but as mentioned above, it's your choice.

O sorry...I checked the commercial album on Amazon, and it looked like it would not be on the album.

As to the tale of the three brothers...I don't like this SFX like underscore, would have preferred the track Deathly Hallows accompanying it.

This is one instance where I can see why yates took out the music.

The subtle motif isn't strong enough to convey the eerie and brutal images on screen.

I did an edit where I layered Williams' Three Note Loop over the Three Brothers scene; that knocks your socks off.

The subtle motif isn't strong enough to convey the eerie and brutal images on screen.

I did an edit where I layered Williams' Three Note Loop over the Three Brothers scene; that knocks your socks off.

Wow can we see it? Can you upload it somewhere?

Just to be sure: The commercial album DOES have the song?

No, the bonus disc on the Deluxe Edition has "My Love Is Always Here". I thought that with album you meant 'commercially released'.

I'll try a private Youtube video.

Let's see if it works:

EDIT: copyright strikes ... I've uploaded it, just sendme a PM.

I'll try a private Youtube video.

Let's see if it works:

EDIT: copyright strikes ... I've uploaded it, just sendme a PM.

Wow great job! :) Especially the Ron Leaves and the Ron Returns cues. It gives a totally new meaning to the music and a totally new dimension to the scene! Can't you post them here? Which JW tracks did you use for those sequences? Also the DH intro with Chmbaer of Secrets makes it much more exciting and fitiing. For the Godric Hollow scene I had imagined Mirror of Erised (Family theme). The Three Brothers sequence shows how Williams with a few notes would have added so much more tension and emotion.

I posted them as unlisted videos on youtube, but, well, copyright.

I don't think I can provide a download link right here in this thread, can I?

Honestly, I can't remember which cues I used for the "Elder Wand" scene, but it is definitely from Philosopher's Stone, and I know I used some Forbidden Forest music.

For Godric's Hollow, I used "Harry and Sirius" from PoA (DVD rip), "A Window To The Past" arrangement for brass ensemble and "Finale" from PoA.

For Ron Returns, I used "Introducing Colin" from CoS, and placed Desplat's full cue a bit differently.

For The Three Brothers, it is really just "Three Note Loop" from PS and in the beginning, I don't remember :(

I find the tone of "Chamber Of Secrets" a tad too playful and sinister in the beginning.