British TV Comedies

OK so its the summer here and I'm running out of TV shows to watch. I've been on a Brit comedy kick and while they've been absolutely hilarious, British Brevity means that I'm constantly running out of things to watch. So, what I've seen so far

Fawlty Towers

The Office

The Inbetweeners

Coupling

I Am Alan Partridge

random Monty Pythons

Pulling

Gavin and Stacey

Free Agents

The IT Crowd

So, to the UK members on here, or even Anglophiles...any other recommendations? I'm thinking of giving The Young Ones a try, and am currently working my way through Only Fools and Horses.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The IT Crowd is terrific! Have you seen all 4 seasons? (The 4th was a big letdown compared to the first 3)

That, The Office, and Coupling are the only "modern" British comedies I've seen (I've also seen Monty Python and Whose Line)

Porridge and It Ain't Half Hot Mum are good ones, although the latter is now only available on DVD since it's been banned for being too politically incorrect.

The IT Crowd is terrific! Have you seen all 4 seasons? (The 4th was a big letdown compared to the first 3)

That, The Office, and Coupling are the only "modern" British comedies I've seen (I've also seen Monty Python and Whose Line)

Yea I've seen all of it. I really enjoyed the rather dark and edgy Pulling.

Porridge and It Ain't Half Hot Mum are good ones, although the latter is now only available on DVD since it's been banned for being too politically incorrect.

I'll have to look into those. =)

I also intend to go through Red Dwarf at some point, but something shorter would be good for now.

The undisputed (older) classics:

Some Mothers Do Ave 'Em

Only Fools and Horses

Porridge

Those are comedy royalty here, other than Faulty Towers and Python which you already mentioned.

Honourable (recent) mentions:

Phoenix Nights

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace

The Mighty Boosh

Spaced

If the older stuff is a turn off then you cannot go wrong with Phoenix Nights or Spaced.

If I think of any more I'll post them.

Go find some of the classic American sitcoms from the 70's and early 80's, look at the end credits and find the name of the original British versions and watch those.

Some Mothers Do Ave 'Em

Only Fools and Horses

Porridge

Those are comedy royalty here, other than Faulty Towers and Python which you already mentioned.

Phoenix Nights

The Mighty Boosh

Spaced

If the older stuff is a turn off then you cannot go wrong with Phoenix Nights or Spaced.

I'm fine with older stuff, though that slot is being filled by Only Fools currently.

seeing that its also by Berry and Fulman, is the Mighty Boosh anything like Snuff Box? I found Snuff Box to be hit and miss.

I've actually seen My Family =) Black Books looks intriguing

one of my main complaints about BBC America is that there aren't enough BRITISH shows on it, and too much Star Trek TNG

Some Mothers Do Ave 'Em

Only Fools and Horses

Porridge

Phoenix Nights

The Mighty Boosh

Spaced

seeing that its also by Berry and Fulman, is the Mighty Boosh anything like Snuff Box? I found Snuff Box to be hit and miss.

I've not seen Snuff Box. Mighty Boosh is very surreal though and definitely not everyones cup of tea. It's downright weird a lot of the time, which is my thing a lot of the time.

BUT...

I almost forgot about Blackadder. HAVE YOU SEEN BLACKADDER?!

If it's the last thing you do before you die: hunt down that show. Skip the first series (season) and start at the second - they didn't find their feet till then. Don't worry about plot or consistency - each series was set in a different era.

Blackadder has some of the best writing in tv comedy history and anyone who enjoys British comedy shows owes it to themselves to see it :)

Some Mothers Do Ave 'Em

Only Fools and Horses

Porridge

Phoenix Nights

The Mighty Boosh

Spaced

I've not seen Snuff Box. Mighty Boosh is very surreal though and definitely not everyones cup of tea. It's downright weird a lot of the time, which is my thing a lot of the time.

BUT...

I almost forgot about Blackadder. HAVE SEEN BLACKADDER?!

If it's the last thing you do before you die: hunt down that show. Skip the first series (season) and start at the second - they didn't find their feet till then. Don't worry about plot or consistency - each series was set in a different era.

Blackadder has some of the best writing in tv comedy history and anyone who enjoys British comedy shows owes it to themselves to see it :)

Your description of Mighty Boosh sounds a lot like Snuff Box. I don't know. When Snuff Box was good, it was really good. But it definitely felt a bit rough around the edges. It does sound like Mighty Boosh is worth a try then.

And you aren't alone, I don't know how I forgot to mention that I've seen Blackadder too! Haha.

Ah, that's alright then ;)

I should imagine a lot of guys here would like Spaced. It starred Simon Pegg and was directed by Edgar Wright - it's where they started out, got them noticed. Very geeky humour, lots of jokes about Star Wars and video games.

MONTY PYTHON, MR. BEAN, FAWLTY TOWERS, DARLING BUDS OF MAY (a bit of drama too), BENNY HILL....all class acts in my book.

Some classics:

The Fast Show

Blackadder

The Thin Blue Line

Not the Nine O'Clock News

Some newer slightly different stuff:

Broken News

Trigger Happy

And of course the long-running topical news comedy shows:

Have I Got News for You

Mock the Week

A bunch of my friends know and love it. I'm gonna have my girlfriend watch it with me, I'd love to watch them all again anyway.

I also have the US Remake, which wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. The initial few episodes that were adaptations of British episodes stunk compared to the originals, but when they went off and used their own scripts it was pretty good. The cast was great - almost all of them have gone on to bigger and better things. Penny from LOST played Sally! The only bummer was the American Jeff - HUGE HUGE let down compared to original Jeff. Bummer.

Speaking of US Remakes, I'd LOOOOOVE to see the unreleased pilot of the US Remake of The IT Crowd featuring Joel McHale and Jessica St Clair

I've always felt that US remakes lost a bit of an edge compared to the originals. I have absolutely no idea how MTV will remake The Inbetweeners without it totally sucking.

A few good ones that no-one has mentioned yet:

The Day Today

Hilarious spoof of news programmes. IRA bomb dogs, Alan Partridge's World Cup commentary, It's War!

Dear John

Underrated sitcom about a man attending a support group for the separated and divorced. Much funnier than it sounds. "Were there any........sexual problems?"

The Peter Serafinowicz Show

Superb sketch show. The Marlon Brando acting masterclass is horrific, but one of the funniest things I've ever seen. And beware of poison sockets.

The Smell of Reeves and Mortimer

I think I wet myself when I first saw Vic and Bob's Masterchef sketch. You either get it or you don't.

Outnumbered is a fairly recent show, but I don't know how well it goes overseas. It's a very British family thing and largely improvised to get the best performances from the (extremely young) child actors.

Can't recommend Red Dwarf enough - absolute classic.

I've only seen Outnumbered in that red nose thing you guys have, with Andy Murray guest-starring. Some hilarious stuff though. "I'm a tennis player." - "No, what do you really do?"

And I'm a huge Hugh-fan in Mock the Week.

While not a sitcom or comedy variety show in the classic sense, BBC's Top Gear is still funny and enjoyable as hell sometimes, far more than its American redo.

I've been thoroughly enjoying Misfits, although it's more drama than comedy. Still, it's quite funny at times. Beats the pants off Heroes, too.

No love for Allo Allo?

Oh yes, absolutely! Loved that.

Dear John

Underrated sitcom about a man attending a support group for the separated and divorced. Much funnier than it sounds. "Were there any........sexual problems?"

Wasn't that an American show? You know, with Judd Hirsch and stuff?

I can't believe not one has mentioned EXTRAS or KEEPING UP APPEARANCES yet.

If you liked The Office you've got to check out Extras. The interaction between Gervais and Merchant is priceless. Plus, if you go the DVD route make sure to check out the extra of them trying to get in contact with Leo DiCaprio for a guest spot. Absolutely hilarious 10 minutes of comedy.

Also its been mentioned, but you should definitely check out Red Dwarf if you're inclined to Sci-Fi at all. Don't worry about the large episode totals though, its rubbish after season 5. ;)

I can't believe not one has mentioned EXTRAS or KEEPING UP APPEARANCES yet.

Never got into Extras. It seemed to take the awkward moments from The Office and take them to truly unwatchable levels.

Keeping up Appearances is something I'll watch casually if it comes on during a Sunday afternoon. Harmless fun, but not something I'd make a conscious effort to watch.

While not a sitcom or comedy variety show in the classic sense, BBC's Top Gear is still funny and enjoyable as hell sometimes, far more than its American redo.

The US version bored the pants off me. They just don't have the chemistry that our 3 guys have. And they just don't have Jeremy Clarkson - 'nuff said.

Plus, the novelty of our version is that the challenges are so funny because they're outrageous, along with the trio's reactions. America is so much crazier that they just don't react in the same way when they do things.

I'll mention a few of the dodgier 90s (dodgy, in how painfully dated they now are)

The Thin Blue Line: Some of the plots get a bit bogged down when they focus on the supporting characters, but when it's funny, it's hilarious. Plus, Grim is one of the best comedy characters ever.

The Brittas Empire: Chris Barrie is amazing in this one. Much more of an ensemble piece and some pretty well defined characters. It also has some genuinely moving moments later in the series (I don't want to spoil them for anyone who hasn't seen it, but in the well-meaning context of Brittas' character, those moments are touching). This one ran for years, and I don't think I've ever seen the last few episodes.

Aside from the obvious (Young Ones, Python etc) check these out:

Phoenix Nights

The League of Gentlemen (if you like your comedy surreal and twisted)

Little Britain (season 1 is brilliant! It really goes downhill from the second season on)

The Office (best Brit comedy ever)

Green Wing (like Scrubs, but way better)

The Smell of Reeves and Mortimer (I think it's already been mentioned)

Are You Being Served? (Yes it's old and cheesy, but the first 7 seasons or so are incredible comedy)

The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin (trust me on this.)

The Goodies (not sure how many of these are even available on DVD unfortunately)

I almost forgot about Blackadder. HAVE YOU SEEN BLACKADDER?!

If it's the last thing you do before you die: hunt down that show. Skip the first series (season) and start at the second - they didn't find their feet till then.

Funny, I remember being really disappointed when season two came on. Season 1 was so much more cinematic and OTT, much more in the Python "Holy Grail" style which I loved. Seasons 2-4 have really grown on me over the years as I've grown accustomed to the fast, gag-filled scripts. The first series is still my favourite though.

If you don't mind looking elsewhere in the world, try Canada's "Trailer Park Boys" (a hugely funny show), and Australia's "Summer Heights High" (a single season created by comedy genius Chris Lilley).

I can't believe not one has mentioned EXTRAS

Damn, you beat me to it! :P

I also recommend The Ricky Gervais Show. Three people talking in a room has never been funnier.

Not British, but Flight Of The Conchords is brilliant too.

Good shout with Big Train, Merkel. I would have mentioned it but assumed no-one else would remember it!

Dear John

The American version (which I've never seen) was based on the British version, which predated it by a couple of years. The original starred the late Ralph Bates, who appeared in a few Hammer films in the early 70's.

Good shout with Big Train, Merkel. I would have mentioned it but assumed no-one else would remember it!

Dear John

The American version (which I've never seen) was based on the British version, which predated it by a couple of years. The original starred the late Ralph Bates, who appeared in a few Hammer films in the early 70's.

Ah. I only remember the Hirsch show, which was shown on Norwegian TV back in the day when we really only had one channel. The title song still sticks in my memory:

"Dear John....Deeeear John, by the time you read this note...I'll be gone!"

shows with heavy pop culture references can be a bit hit or miss for me. I pretty much only enjoy it when its well placed and doesnt intrude on the narrative. Family Guy's references always feel like they tried to stuff in as many as they could with no logic to them, and NBC's Community can sometimes feel like they tried to reverse engineer a narrative out of a spoof.

I completely understand where you're coming from with the Family Guy thing - the whole show is just one great big massive pop culture gimmick - which explains its eventual mainstream success and huge popularity.

Spaced is okay as a comedy, but I think it plays the pop-cult card just about regularly enough to make the viewer pat themselves on the back and feel rewarded for 'getting it'. Basically, it stimulates the nerd gene without forcing the obscure references down your throat.

Does anyone remember a British comedy show from the early 90s called "The Staggering Stories of Ferdinand De Bargos"? It was hilarious. Each week the creative team cut together old obscure pieces of film footage from news reports and documentaries (etc) and a team of improv. comedians dubbed different dialogue over the voices to create surreal stories. Some of them were hilarious, and always clever. As I recall one of the voice actors was Jim Broadbent.