J.T.Williams and the Oscar...

Markuz

Hi!

It is wellknown that Williams ist the person with the most Oscar-nominees, 39 in fact, but is he also the one who has won the most awards in the academy-history? 5 statues is a lot, isn't it?

Would be nice to know that :| ...

Regards

Markuz

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Alfred Newman got 44 nominations, and won it 9 times.

However, if i'm not wrong, Walt Disney is the man who has got more nominations in all his career (can't remember how much)

Hey, X-Mas-Imperator :) : I've got my information from here: http://www.oscar.com/legacy/faqs.html

They say, he was nominated 39 times

Q. What individual has more Oscar nominations than any other person in Academy Awards history?

A. Walt Disney holds that record with 64 nominations. John Williams' 39 Academy Award nominations make him the most nominated living person.

Well, but perhaps they are wrong...

Is John Williams the most award-winning LIVING person?

Regards

Markuz

Just as was posted above, 44 nominations for Newman and 9 Oscars (some of them for Musical Direction -- not composer)

For Williams, 41 nominations and 5 Oscars.

To my knowledge, the most awarded living person in the music categorys is Alan Menken, with 8 Oscars, 4 for Berst Song, 4 for Best Score.

Newman and Williams are the most nominated composers. Walt disney has a lot more nominations and wins and I also think the Tom and jerry guy, forgot his name, has also a bunch of nominations.

Regarding Disney nominations and awards, many of those were from the days when the department, or the studio got the nominations, not the artist -- Korngold's first Oscar went in fact to the studio, not to him.

And I guess, you're right... in a few years, Williams will be the most nominated composer ever!

To my knowledge, the most awarded living person in the music categorys is Alan Menken, with 8 Oscars, 4 for Berst Song, 4 for Best Score.

:)

-ROSS, huge Menken fan

Regarding Disney nominations and awards, many of those were from the days when the department, or the studio got the nominations, not the artist -- Korngold's first Oscar went in fact to the studio, not to him.

Yes, that's true. Disney was nominated for many, many movies where he had nothing to do with.

I believe Alfred Newman got many of those nominations from his music direction job at fox.

And no one will got all those awards again, simply because the studio system doesn't works the same way. Newman got all the musical direction credits at Fox, and got a number of Oscars that way.

The fact that Mr. Williams does works with some of the finest orchestras in the world, does not means that the ones form Hollywood's early days weren't better. Here you go with the quote:

In 1955, he moved to California and got a job with the Fox Studio Orchestra, headed at the time by composer Alfred Newman, then won a two-year contract witht eh Columbia Pictures Orchestra. "They had the pick of the musicians from symphony orchestra all over the States," Williams comments, with obvious respect for the studio system, and a touch of envy. "We don't have that kind of studio orchestra anymore," he adds, somewhat ruefully.

from notes for FilmWorks, by Didier C. Deutsch

The "orchestras" matter is what is a sort of quandary to me. I haven't counted it singly, but to me it seems that James Horner manages to get The London Symphony Orchestra to perform his scores each time he says "I want them". And the crap they were playing considering Horner's less profound material is palpable. On the other hand, considering recent Williams' works, some LSO players even do complain about "having to play the "woodwind runs" all over again" like they have had to many times before with Williams, which leads me to a conclusion that LSO probably prefers to play Horner's stuff to Johnny's. It had angered me to have found out Williams didn't get the LSO to record Harry Potter one, but they always seem to be free for Horner's innovative scoring (or did any player ever complain publicly about having to play the same Horner's stuff all over again?)

I love the Boston Symphony Orchestra, mind you, but WOULD WELCOME if The London Philharmonic ever happens to be free to play/record some of the upcoming Williams epics, say Indy Jones IV. Especially with the recordings I have of Orff's Carmina Burana and very notably Shore's Lord of the Rings it's without a doubt that huge orchestras and massive choirs (did Shore manage to gather the ever largest ensemble?) allows for the music to grandly profit from such robustness that, despite the undeniably catchy themes LOTR offers, many consider LOTR the best score "ever".

Well, I mentioned Carmina Burana. I have both the London Philharmonic with Zubin Mehta and Boston Pop's with Williams's renderings of the Ó Fortuna. Knowing how "small" Boston Pops are compared to London Philharmonic; Williams did a great job on recording this piece so that it doesn't sound any less exciting.

Does he on purpose utilize choirs in his scores to such a diminutive extent? To me, I am yet to hear a man constantly coming up with such beautiful themes, as are those that John Williams pens. Even if only one per a score, they are often there. Perhaps it is the "restrained" orchestration that sometimes takes a bite out of the overall effect. Yes, I do envy the praise fans endow Shore's work on LOTR:FOTR with. The stronger I do the more I realize that Williams CAN do better than that...........Sorry I have to log off or I'm in a deeep trouble. My boss is coming.............!!!! I'll return to it. Lot more to say.

Who is Alfred Newman again??

For some reason this guy does not immediately stand out in my head.

One of Golden age's great! Faterh of David and Thomas, uncle of Randy.

And exactly how many member has the London Philharmonic? Because the Boston Pops/Symphony, has some 100 and few musicians...

And exactly how many member has the London Philharmonic? Because the Boston Pops/Symphony, has some 100 and few musicians...

I don't know exactly how many players particular ensembles consist of. I only know the number of players of the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra (122), but that's about it.

Confusion #1: Is the Boston Pops and The Boston Symphony Orchestra comprised of the same regular players or do some of the principal players circle in between the two ensembles? I imagine Boston Pops is not as large as Boston Symphony, whereas Boston Symphony has more principal (individual) soloists.

Confusion #2: Does it mean that Philharmonic orchestras are usually larger groups of players than symphony orchestras? What's the difference anyway--aside from the naming, of course?

A Fact: The town I commute to work has its orchestra and it's a symphony orchestra consisted of as few as 58 players (counted them during a performance)! Then again, never seen a Philharmonic Orchestra with as little as less than 100 players. So perhaps Philharmonic vs Symphony hints at Larger vs Smaller...

I know the number of players sometimes varies with a piece that is a subject of rendering, but that would be another matter.

As far as I know, the Boston Pops and Boston Symphony ahve about the same number of musicians. Thay are the same ones with the exception of 12 of the Symphony's principal musicians, that are replaced during the Pops season.

Also a symphony orchestra of the classical period is much smaller (some 60 members) tha a modern one. Our local ochestra, wich has not the "Symphony" on the name, has some 90 musicians and his a symphony orchestra, as I'm told -- but already was when it only had some 60 musicians on the beginning.