The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret Of the Unicorn by John Williams

Jay

Here's what we know about the score so far. It was written in 2009 and in August of that year, Conrad Pope - who orchestrated the score - had this to say:

I'm currently orchestrating a large piece with a number of ideas. The main theme is highly energetic, filled with great tonal twists and turns, reflecting, I suspect, Tintin's heroic energy. It will become a classic, I think. To give more information would be to reveal things that I don't think JW would want to say.

We are at the beginning of the process. The main scoring sessions are off in February.

Also, let me say with regard to Tintin, I believe, as with "Potter" and Catch Me if you Can, people will be both surprised and not surprised by how the music is both "expected" and "UN-expected"--- before you hear it.

Source: http://www.jwfan.com...sk=view&id=1169

Then in early 2010 the initial scoring sessions took place.

Sometime in 2011, Rene Fleming was recorded in a motion capture suit, and she sang backed up with a 69 piece orchestra in NYC, which Spielberg and Williams observed via video streaming from LA:

Renee Fleming was recorded singing live with a 69-piece orchestra in the Grand Ballroom and adjacent Studio 7, equipped with the massive 108-input Neve VR, for Steven Speilberg's animated film Tintin. Two video crews were present at the sessions, one for a polycom set up allowing Speilberg and composer John Williams to attend the session from LA. The second crew performed motion capture, which will allow the film's animators to capture Fleming's facial expressions exactly for her animated character. Todd Whitelock was the engineer on the session.

Source: http://www.sonicscoo...intin-broadway/

Finally in June/July of 2011, additional/revised cues were recorded, perhaps as a result of re-editing, or perhaps they simply didn't record all the cues that were written in 2009 at the original scoring sessions.

At the San Diego Comic Con in late July of 2011, Spielberg and Jackson showed footage from the film, claiming it contained music that Williams recorded "2 days ago", but this footage has not turned up online anywhere that I have seen.

The first Teaser Trailer that was released in May of 2011 featured no Williams score, in its the USor International versions.

However, the second trailer that was released on July 11th did feature a small snippet of Williams score, from 0:20-0:37

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw8lSayDNlM

Then International Version of the trailer featured slightly more Williams score, from 0:10-0:30

Finally, JWFanners recently discovered these posts on the "Neo Gaf" forums from December 2010, where a cue from the score called "Tinker-Tin" was briefly discussed (the poster described it as 'Catch Me If You Can + "Gilderoy Lockhart" from The Chamber of Secrets.'). The poster "BowieZ" on that forum also posted 4 bars of the clarinet portion of the cue

http://neogaf.net/fo...07#post25158407

(NOTE: JWFAN IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH THIS FORUM IS ANY WAY!)

Hopefully the comic con footage will be posted somewhere soon! That is probably the next place we'll hear any Williams music until a new trailer or some commercials start showing up

Sometime this month or next we should have the OST track list, since the film opens in Europe on October 26th, and the OST will likely be in stores before then.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope not *evil laugh*

Ha hah hahaaa! :thumbup:

Hey - anyone else noticed the sudden influx of active members since this thread got created? Methinks Jay just got the lurkers hopes up.

Damn i cant watch youtube videos on my psp!

Both trailers were linked to on the board 3 weeks ago when they came out, there are no new trailers...

Think about it: According to that forum, Tinker-Tin is 185 bars long. That's a long piece. You've seen 4 bars of a clarinet section, and assume the entire 185-bar composition surrounds the Thompsons? Isn't it more likely its a suite of ALL the movie's themes?

Think about it: According to that forum, Tinker-Tin is 185 bars long. That's a long piece. You've seen 4 bars of a clarinet section, and assume the entire 185-bar composition surrounds the Thompsons? Isn't it more likely its a suite of ALL the movie's themes?

That would be awesome! How much is 185 bars in minutes?

And why is it called that? :blink:

Who knows. We all know that Williams internal names are often changed for CD / concert performances. Heck, "Across The Stars" was originally "End Credit (Updated Gelb Version)"!

185 bars can be a long piece, but it doesn't have to be. It could be conducted in "one" (one beat per bar) or in "cut time" (two beats per bar), at a very fast tempo. Do we even know that it's in 4:4?

Who knows. We all know that Williams internal names are often changed for CD / concert performances. Heck, "Across The Stars" was originally "End Credit (Updated Gelb Version)"!

Gelb as in Yellow? (Put me in the camp that didn't know the internal names oft changed)

Gelb as in Yellow? (Put me in the camp that didn't know the internal names oft changed)

No, Gelb as in Peter Gelb, the head of Sony music at the time of AOTC's release

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19354&view=findpost&p=706657

The Tinker-Tin snippet sounds like it should be played fast. So it doesn't have to be a long piece. A snappy little melody in lydian mode.

So it IS a recipe?

Cooking time depends on your type of oven and temperature...

No. Tempo is the speed at which the beats are given, and time signature is how many beats are in a bar, which is also called a measure.

Ever find yourself snapping your fingers or tapping your toes to a catchy beat? Well, if you do those actions quickly, the piece has a quick tempo. Clap your hands slow...ly...and...the...piece...has...a...slow...temp..........o.

If you listen to a waltz piece, and you pick up on that one-two-three, one-two-three, one-two-three feeling...each one-two-three is a bar, and the time signature could be 3/4, 3/8, 6/8, etc.

No, Gelb as in Peter Gelb, the head of Sony music at the time of AOTC's release

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19354&view=findpost&p=706657

Thanks Jason, fascinating. *off for a long read*

Wow, I didn't realize it came out that early in Europe. I hope the US gets a soundtrack release at the same time as Europe.

I would fly to the closest European county to purchase it.

Or order from the regional Amazon.com. ;)

I haven't seen it posted anywhere but I Thought I should share if it isn't out already. Did you guys know that Gustavo Dudamel Conducted Two Cues under John William's Direction for Tintin 4 days ago? Apparently it was a surprise Guest.

No He is an upcoming famous Conductor and a really Good one. Maestro Williams probably brought him in to show him how it feels to conduct a score to picture. a very lucky dude for sure!

Thanks for the thread Jason. Now we can grow more impatient by the day in this new thread. :)

Interesting news on Dudamel conducting Tintin. Must be the first time in a long while JW has done that, let others conduct the music.

And it will be great if the soundtrack album is released in Europe first. For once!

Now I'll hope JW has jam packed that CD shock full of music.

Do you think we're stupid?

EDIT: Wait... I thought only the première was shown in Brussels in october, an then the whole world had to wait for the film.

No He is an upcoming famous Conductor and a really Good one. Maestro Williams probably brought him in to show him how it feels to conduct a score to picture. a very lucky dude for sure!

How do you become an upcoming famous conductor?

Wet dream. The complete recording sessions leak BEFORE the c.d. release

Or that Williams finally sees the light and releases a double CD with a complete score.

But nah. That'll never happen. Damn the CD format. He said back in 2002 that he would release complete scores if there was a format that allowed it. But I am sure that was just silly talk since he is too modest to release everything.

How do you become an upcoming famous conductor?

By coming up from the mass of flailing batons and tuxedos that is the conductordom of course.

I was actually listening to John Adams' City Noir last night conducted by him.

Karol

I was actually listening to John Adams' City Noir last night conducted by him.

Karol

A great piece of music. :up:

And Dudamel is a really talented guy. He is doing a stint as the musical director of the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra at the moment and conducting Simón Bolívar Symphony Orchestra of Venezuela as well.

Yes and for another 10 pages we will be derailing to a discussion of whether people should be banned from seeing JW so they can't possible try to kill him by their proximity. The man's ability to write music for us should not be jeopardized so lightly.