Intrada Will Release Poledouris' Conan The Barbarian and Conan The Destroyer

Dean1700

I think there are very valid reasons for releasing it, and it should be released by all means.

But I personally have no interest in it, as I too find the re-recording to be a vastly superior version of the score

Everything recorded for every film deserves to be released.  No one is forcing anyone to buy them or taking away their preferred re-recorded versions.

And so it continues

Roger:

You didn't answer my questions or understand my points, all you did was repeat yourself. I guess you have to ask yourself why you feel it's necessary to raise this point every time the score is mentioned in a thread!

Ford:

1.) The orchestra isn't very good (Even I can hear some of the performance problems)
2.) He hated it, he said so to me directly looking me in the eye
3.) The MUSIC has been out there in a vastly better performance for sometime.
4.) I'm not saying you shouldn't put it out and won't do a great job on presenting it and you should put the best face on your product, but that's what the man thought on this one.

Does that cover it?

Ford A. Thaxton

1 hour ago, El Jefe said:

Again we hear he didn’t like it but nowhere does it say he told anyone not to release it.

Oh, please. Even if Basil was known to have said he didn't want it released, you'd want it released. And you'd be every bit as likely to buy it.

1 hour ago, Muldoon said:

Oh, please. Even if Basil was known to have said he didn't want it released, you'd want it released. And you'd be every bit as likely to buy it.

I believe that’s what I was saying. Sorry for the confusion.

Now Bruce Kimmel is ragging on Roger as well.  What's up with these guys?

Bruce:

My fun is watching the feeding frenzy between several of the soundtrack labels at this time of year, something I've happily NEVER joined. Apparently everyone saves up their bestest releases for Black Friday and the following week - multi-disc sets, best release EVER, the stuff dreams are made of. And so many titles that mere mortals cannot afford to purchase all of them.  :) 

Roger:

We like to end the year on a strong note, I didn't realize that was an issue. I thought of it as a cool release, not a frenzy.

I don't understand what the Bruce dude's point is anyway.  Is he ragging on labels for releasing products people want at a time of year when they're most likely to want to buy them?

Idiots who think marketing is a bad thing in and of itself annoy me.  Bad (as in predatory or unethical) marketing is bad.  Good marketing is just... business.

Some of it stems from flooding the market with too many releases but personally I don’t care because I have fewer years in front of me than behind me. 

Stu - the Bruce Dude is Bruce Kimmel (Kritzerland Records and formerly of Varese Sarabande).  He has long been a big advocate that the film score labels are going to destroy themselves, or at least not sustain.  It's a pretty common refrain of his at FSM, so this is just a rewording of that.  Too many releases!  Etc etc.  People don't have the time or money to focus on "smaller" releases - as a result, making those records more difficult to fund/release and less likely to profit.  At least I think that's the thesis.

I agree to some extent - I'm certainly buying less "small" releases that are in my wheelhouse (very few have been Kritzerland, but LLL has had plenty of releases that I just couldn't get to/afford easily).  Part of that has to do with childcare expenses, though.

Honestly, I feel like the days of physical/CD releases are dwindling - seeing more and more releases going digital only, or more distressing to me, vinyl and digital but no CD.  So I'm happy for a CD glut at the moment, and I'll be choosy for what's worth my money.  But as far as business practices - and especially for labels that focus more on niche releases and don't get big Jurassic Park releases - I can see that being more toxic.

32 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Stu - the Bruce Dude is Bruce Kimmel (Kritzerland Records and formerly of Varese Sarabande).  He has long been a big advocate that the film score labels are going to destroy themselves, or at least not sustain.  It's a pretty common refrain of his at FSM, so this is just a rewording of that.  Too many releases!  Etc etc.  People don't have the time or money to focus on "smaller" releases - as a result, making those records more difficult to fund/release and less likely to profit.  At least I think that's the thesis.

I agree to some extent - I'm certainly buying less "small" releases that are in my wheelhouse (very few have been Kritzerland, but LLL has had plenty of releases that I just couldn't get to/afford easily).  Part of that has to do with childcare expenses, though.

Honestly, I feel like the days of physical/CD releases are dwindling - seeing more and more releases going digital only, or more distressing to me, vinyl and digital but no CD.  So I'm happy for a CD glut at the moment, and I'll be choosy for what's worth my money.  But as far as business practices - and especially for labels that focus more on niche releases and don't get big Jurassic Park releases - I can see that being more toxic.

Yes, seeing the argument laid out like that it's much more convincing.  Since I don't read FSM basically ever, I don't have the context to see that single comment as part of a larger whole.  Kinda like when brand new JWFan members will reply to a Thor post with "But don't you want the complete score release?!" :lol:

I see no point in vinyl because it wears out and crackles and pops a lot. Digital feels like I just own a phantom version of the music. But CD is digital on a spinning disc I put on my shelf, the best of both worlds. Why is that now unpopular?

• 3 years later...

Roger Feigelson posted this on Facebook:

Any update about an intrada's conan the destroyer release ?

Definitely made progress. While Basil didn't like the recording, it wasn't because the orchestra played wrong notes, but rather their performance in some places that most lay people probably wouldn't pick up on. The intonation of certain instruments in places, for example. It's the recording I grew up with so I'm excited when we can get this across the finish line.

and

Great. But what about Sword and Sorcery suite? Are they a chances it will be also included on Destroyer album?

That's the plan for now.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/95015405220/permalink/10165183050285221

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Doug has provided some details:

after an eternity of red tape and treading water - we can finally bring you Basil Poledouris’s beloved and oft-requested Conan the Destroyer soundtrack, from the actual film’s three-channel session masters, expanded for the first time ever. Yes, this is the original soundtrack with its unequaled vibrant performance and recording.

Complicated licensing issues resulted in Basil’s original (and brief) 1984 MCA album program appearing on a second disc. Basil completed the score for the June 1984 release of the movie, jumped right into scoring Red Dawn and guided us into licensing our first release - that very score for Red Dawn, launching the Intrada label. We discussed his two Conan scores at length way back when and happily have not only his 1984 sequel score available but also in our catalog the entire original 1982 Conan The Barbarian score on a 3-CD set, featuring his lengthy magnum opus and a plethora of alternate cues he recorded as well. Conan may look to Crom for his eternal rest, but look to Intrada for his music!

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8985

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

You forgot

image.jpeg

I'll have to give this another listen but I have to admit that I remember finding it rather heavy and ponderous... a nice idea so I'm not sure if it was just the interpretation that didn't quite work. Given that this is (I think?) an entirely unique concept, an (almost?) entire score played on the church organ, I wonder how they landed on Conan?!

11 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

You forgot

I did not. I heard it when it was first released and it didn't interest me. I do like what they did with it but it's not something I would like to listen to more than once.