What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

What you watched WAS the censored version. The American R rated cut is the censored one. The uncensored cut is only available in other countries.

As other have mentioned, the censorship method was placing people in the foreground viewing sex acts in the background, which in the original cut would be seen unobstructed.

No one mentioned that. Lee just said strategically placed CGI, which wasn't very descriptive.

Is there a comparison video on YouTube or something? Were there any other changes besides the costume party?

I don't think there were any other changes, no.

And my bad, I didn't realize the uncensored version was available in the USA now. For a long time it wasn't. My bad.

You were supposed to hate it!

Karol

Well there are parts where they blow up stuff for hopelessly long periods of time in the ending third of the film, which gets very tiring but the more intimate moments in the film are surprisingly good. When everything starts exploding in a way it leaves even Michael Bay gasping for breath it gets boring very quickly.

Yeah, I was kind of indifferent to most of it, but the final battle completely lost me like few movies have. I just checked out completely and started thinking about other things. Wish I had walked out.

Eyes Wide Shut is my second favorite Kubrick film behind 2001.

My ranking of the Kubrick films among the ones I've seen from most favourite to least favourite, would be like this:

1. 2001

2. The Shining

3. Full Metal Jacket

4. Barry Lyndon

5. Eyes Wide Shut

6. A Clockwork orange

I've also seen Spartacus but I don't remember anything. I would love to buy it in Bluray (because I love Biblical films and Roman epics), but I hear it's not a good release and it desperately needs a remaster.

Karol

Well there are parts where they blow up stuff for hopelessly long periods of time in the ending third of the film, which gets very tiring but the more intimate moments in the film are surprisingly good. When everything starts exploding in a way it leaves even Michael Bay gasping for breath it gets boring very quickly.

Yeah, I was kind of indifferent to most of it, but the final battle completely lost me like few movies have. I just checked out completely and started thinking about other things. Wish I had walked out.

It's too bad you guys have such short attention spans!

Karol

It's too bad you guys have such short attention spans!

Indeed. I was engaged throughout.

Back to the Future, once again. It really only becomes apparent after repeated viewings how extremely well made it is, in every way. Near perfect even.

There's a great special effect at 1:55 in this scene that probably hardly anyone in the audience even noticed:

Some really wonderful camera work in this.

Back to the Future, once again. It really only becomes apparent after repeated viewings how extremely well made it is, in every way. Near perfect even.

There's a great special effect at 1:55 in this scene that probably hardly anyone in the audience even noticed:

Some really wonderful camera work in this.

Don't have access to this clip. What is the shot?

It's the opening sequence, the camera first panning across Doc Brown's clocks, then back passing the TV, where a news announcer appears, and the in-TV camera movements sync with the pan so that the announcer stays fixed on the cinema screen while it pans across the TV screen.

Those opening shots of Back to the Future tells you almost everything you need to know. You see this wacky garage laboratory with clocks everywhere, equipment malfunctioning, newspaper clippings from the past, photos of some of history's greatest minds, the radio ad gives the date, you witness the news report, plutonium case on the floor and then this out of place kid with a skateboard (mode of transportation) who will soon be very out of place (and time) via mode of transportation walks in asking for the Doc...which he will do again later on.

Being John Malkovich

It's one of the most original films I've ever seen, but revisiting it, most of the characters (especially Lotte and Craig) are extremely unlikeable and unsympathetic. Catherine Keener steals the show as Maxine, and there are some delightfully offbeat scenes and bits of humor that work. I give John Malkovich major props for agreeing to take part in this, but this film leaves me cold.

Great spotting, too. Just clock sounds during the main titles, then the Huey Lewis song, and no score at all until the Delorean is revealed.

I seem to remember a "tinkle-ly" descending motif as the "BTTF" logo flashed-up onscreen.

Being John Malkovich

It's one of the most original films I've ever seen, but revisiting it, most of the characters (especially Lotte and Craig) are extremely unlikeable and unsympathetic. Catherine Keener steals the show as Maxine, and there are some delightfully offbeat scenes and bits of humor that work. I give John Malkovich major props for agreeing to take part in this, but this film leaves me cold.

"Malkovich?"

"Malkovich".

#Maaaaaaalkovich#

It's the opening sequence, the camera first panning across Doc Brown's clocks, then back passing the TV, where a news announcer appears, and the in-TV camera movements sync with the pan so that the announcer stays fixed on the cinema screen while it pans across the TV screen.

And what's clever about it is that it's not superfluous. The TV news anchor has to move over to make room for the plutonium graphic. It's all well thought-out and timed.

Being John Malkovich

... this film leaves me cold.

There's nothing in it for me either. I also don't connect with Where The Wild Things Are. I do like Adaptation. I haven't seen Her.

We Bought A Zoo: Way, way, way too schmaltzy and rosy. And so predictable! In one single purchase - which includes a future wife and even a girlfriend for his son - Damon makes everyone happy, including the animals. Everything gets resolved in the most ideal way. Jonsi's uplifting music is too repetitive (all the tracks go for the same emotion). 3/10

MV5BMTQ0MTE3OTUwMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODg5

Alex

Nope. It was on TV and since there was nothing else on ...

The film made me yearn for some Alexander Payne ... must recover from too much saccharine ... must see Nebraska.

Alex

Great spotting, too. Just clock sounds during the main titles, then the Huey Lewis song, and no score at all until the Delorean is revealed.

I seem to remember a "tinkle-ly" descending motif as the "BTTF" logo flashed-up onscreen

Not until the sequels

Earlier yesterday Ten Little Indians. Slightly off-movie with a jaunty theme that seemed at odds with the murder mystery setting and so-so acting. That Fabian was a berk, which is putting it mildly.

Then late into the night, Revenge of the Sith. Being in some kind of Star Wars mood this week I re-read the novelisation and music aside, sort of prefer the novelisation oddly. This being said that in spite of its many flaws the film holds a kind of sentimental place having seen it at Leicester Square with two good friends one of whom is no longer here. This aside, there's some moments all of which will be supplanted by Episode VII. Perhaps.

I seem to remember a "tinkle-ly" descending motif as the "BTTF" logo flashed-up onscreen

Not until the sequels

The Intrada release has a 23 second Logo cue, but it seems to be unused. The main title logo just has ticking clocks, as seen above. And it works beautifully this way.

Stargate

Hadn't seen this since I was a teenager or so. Sadly it has not held up. I mean, it's still a slickly directed action flick. As a teenager I ate up everything about it. As an adult now I see the enormous gaping plot holes and ridiculous logic leaps. One thing that remains undoubtedly excellent is the David Arnold score. It's utterly fantastic!

We watched the extended cut, which I wouldn't recommend or bother to watch again. While watching it I didn't remember what was added and what was original, but I looked it up afterwards and all the scenes added were completely superfluous and unnecessary ones.

I've never seen the show at all, but I will say the movie is still enjoyable in a completely turn-your-brain-off-and-just-enjoy-the-thrill-ride kind of way. Shame after this and Independence Day Emmerich and Devlin never made a good film again.

Galaxy Quest

I like how it functions as a sendup of Star Trek and the fandom, but also cleverly turns into its own little space opera without losing that humor. It still makes me smile, and Sigourney Weaver looks ridiculously good as a blonde.

Stargate

Hadn't seen this since I was a teenager or so. Sadly it has not held up. I mean, it's still a slickly directed action flick. As a teenager I ate up everything about it. As an adult not I see the enormous gaping plot holes and ridiculous logic leaps. One thing that remains undoubtedly excellent is the David Arnold score. It's utterly fantastic!

We watched the extended cut, which I wouldn't recommend or bother to watch again. While watching it I didn't remember what was added and what was original, but I looked it up afterwards and all the scenes added were completely superfluous and unnecessary ones.

I've never seen the show at all, but I will say the movie is still enjoyable in a completely turn-your-brain-off-and-just-enjoy-the-thrill-ride kind of way. Shame after this and Independence Day Emmerich and Devlin never made a good film again.

It has a pretty exciting beginning and end, but the mid-section of the film really plods along and seems like it takes forever.

I don't really care about plot holes or logic gaps, but Stargate is just a boring ass film.

Stargate

Hadn't seen this since I was a teenager or so. Sadly it has not held up. I mean, it's still a slickly directed action flick. As a teenager I ate up everything about it. As an adult not I see the enormous gaping plot holes and ridiculous logic leaps.

Is this the only reason why it didn't hold up? I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if almost every movie has them.

Yea, it was really the plot holes and generic plot that bugged me now. The cast, special effects, direction, set design, and score are all still just fine.

Basically now that I've seen it as an adult I doubt I'll be seeing it again for a long long time.

I remember finding it really underwhelming that one time I saw it during its run. Coincidentally I'm looking at it now, on tv. James Spader is irritating.

Get the Gringo AKA How I Spent My Summer Vacation

Nice to see Mel in a little light thriller which isn't completely terrible, but even then the script (which he largely wrote) isn't really up to scratch on a comedic banter level, yet there is at least a reasonable amount of plotting which kept me watching to the end, corny resolution included. And for a prison setting which is supposed to be "the biggest shit hole on earth" I didn't think it looked too bad. At least it had shops and women! 2.5/5

r1w2Tmm.jpg

MV5BMTYxMjkwMTk3OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDIw

Compliance

Holy hell, what a movie! It is based on a true story of a prank caller who called into a McDonald's (the fictional chain "Chickwhich" in the film) pretending to be a police officer, and convinces the manager - the recently engaged (sort of) middle-aged women Sandra - that a 19 year old cashier, Becky, has stolen money from a customer. Sandra takes Becky into the back room and, following every instruction of the "officer", ends up making Becky empty her pockets, hand over her purse, turn in her cell phone, and eventually, remove all her clothes and underwear in front of Sandra and another employee. Sandra even puts all of Becky's clothes and her cell phone her car for the police to inspect "when they arrive". And that's just the first act! It keeps getting crazier and crazier, to the point of almost unbelief. As each new person comes into the backroom to "keep an eye" on Becky - all while on the phone with "officer" the whole time - you wonder when one of them will finally realize that nothing that is happening makes any sense!

After the craziness of the first 2 acts, the resolution was filmed in an interested way, and well-handled, with just the right amount of resolution and explanation. As soon as it was over, I had to look up the real life case to see how much they made up for the film, and I was shocked to find out the opposite was true - the real life story was even crazier, with more crazy stuff happening in that backroom than was shown on the movie. Utterly fascinating film. You will not BELIEVE how STUPID so many of these people were!

compliance_3.jpg

Dreama-Walker-Compliance1.jpg