What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Maybe Prometheus is not so superbad as we think it is. Anyway, I did give it a 5/10, I think.

Generous! Very generous!

It's fair. It's still way below the harsh, faultfinding, hard to please, demanding critics.

Maybe Prometheus is not so superbad as we think it is. Anyway, I did give it a 5/10, I think.

Generous! Very generous!

It's fair. It's still way below the harsh, faultfinding, hard to please, demanding critics.

That's because they're not desensitised like you!

The reason who it's more then just bad is because it's a film made by people who COULD have done better, if they had cared a bit more, tried a bit harder.

Agreed 100%

It had the right visual look, the right cast, the right special effects, etc - and then it was all wasted by a really, really bad script that made no sense on its basic plot levels and had bad dialog for everyone to say and bad decisions for all the characters to make

I honestly believe the whole concept was flawed and just bad. AvP handled its own origins backstory (aliens worshipped as gods etc) far more effectively, which is pretty hilarious really.

Prometheus was simply uninspired. It made Alien Resurrection look brilliant in comparison.

You know what's really strange about Alien films? It's that they can be really bad, but it's still still impossible for me not to like them.

The film-which-title-I-won't-state doesn't have that.

Is it Sigourney Weaver, do you think?

Karol

You know what's really strange about Alien films? It's that they can be really bad, but it's still still impossible for me not to like them.

The film-which-title-I-won't-state doesn't have that.

Is it Sigourney Weaver, do you think?

Karol

Don't tell me you are talking about Avatar!

No, I was talking about Alien films in relation to that other Ridley Scott project.

And no, didn't want to imply the first Alien is bad, just that even bad ones (third and fourth) are strangely watchable.

Karol

For me, Alien 3 has never been a bad film, not even Resurrection. But the third one is seriously underrated. If it was Fincher's intention to make the film as depressing as it turned out, then I applaud his vision. The tone of it is so different from the first two, I welcomed that change of style back in 92, and the years after. I remember watching it for the first time, and being actually depressed by it. That bad feeling in the gut, that stays with you for a while. It's a very dark film in that respect. That after everything Ripley went through since that landing on LV-426, that it had to end that way for her, it's maybe the most emotional and sad of the trilogy endings. It may not have been the best ending for everyone, but it gave the Ripley character and the tragic journey she underwent an added dimension.

Just my 2 cents.

Jaws for the first time ever. Looked great on Blu-ray. The barrels and Johnny's music were definitely more "frightening" than the Shark itself. Overall I really enjoyed it, can't believe it has taken me this long to watch it.

I love Alien 3 and I don't understand why people don't like it.

is it the script?

Jaws for the first time ever. Looked great on Blu-ray. The barrels and Johnny's music were definitely more "frightening" than the Shark itself. Overall I really enjoyed it, can't believe it has taken me this long to watch it.

Haven't seen jaws and Jaws 2 for some time, but I think I enjoyed the 2nd more.

I was bored a bit in parts of Jaws..

Of course, he is!

I love Alien 3 and I don't understand why people don't like it.

Haven't seen jaws and Jaws 2 for some time, but I think I enjoyed the 2nd more.

I was bored a bit in parts of Jaws.

Filmmusic is a young guy right?

Usually they can't appriciate older films.

I wasn't joking..

And i said "in parts"..

(I think mostly in the preparations part and all this talk with Quint etc. I think it dragged a bit too much. But haven't seen the film for some years so..)

I am 34.

I guess you're returning my words to me? (since i am the one that is saying that young guys don't appreciate older films) :biglaugh:

Filmmusic is a young guy right?

Usually they can't appriciate older films.

I wasn't joking..

And i said "in parts"..

(I think mostly in the preparations part and all this talk with Quint etc. I think it dragged a bit too much. But haven't seen the film for some years so..)

I am 34.

I guess you're returning my words to me? (since i am the one that is saying that young guys don't appreciate older films) :biglaugh:

Hooper drives the boat, Chief.

Did you?

What parts are boring to you?

If I see it again, I'll tell you..

But I mentioned something in my previous post.

I just thought Jaws 2 was a bit tighter in action and Jaws dragged a bit until we get there...

Oh sure Jaws 2 has more action, more

Shark attacks. Which are quite well directed too.

But instead of Hooper and Quint it has a bunch of stupid teenagers, none of which are remotely interesting (why not let them die?)

Roy Scheider is good, though the material he had isnt as strong as in Jaws. It's a good looking film and the score is superb.

Jaws is a classic though!

Did you?

I just thought Jaws 2 was a bit tighter in action and Jaws dragged a bit until we get there...

Its been a while since I've seen Jaws 2 but what I remember is it had more action but it really dragged quite a bit to get there.

Saw most of War Horse but eventually stopped watching. I simply don't understand what motivated Spielberg to make this movie. Anyhow, I might watch the ending one of the days.

ldquoWar-Horserdquo_zpsde3c363c.jpg

Alex

Anyhow, I might watch the ending one of the days.

The kid loses a leg, the horse dies, they transplant one of the horse's legs on the kid, they all live happily ever after.

There, you won't have watch the ending. No need to thank me.

Or Empire Of The Sun, crocs!

No, Jay, I wasn't really enchanted by the photography or the music. Like I said, I was mostly puzzled why Spielberg is investing energy in something like this. I want him and Wiliams to be more 'daring', not the exact opposite. I feel that War Horse is even too childish for children.

If I might interfere, give Jaws another chance. You'll be surprised how good it actually is.

i think it's probably one of the most fresh movies Spielberg ever did; Duel feels that way too -a guy who was full of excitment and had nothing to lose or prove. Later Spielberg wanted too much to please everyone, including the awards. Jaws in unapologetic and it contains some of the most likeable characters ever put on film with some killer acting. It's not about the shark, it's about these three guys against themselves.

It's not a great movie by any means, but the cinematography is gorgeous and Williams' score is ace

EDIT: Talking about WH, not Jaws

I enjoyed the heck out of War Horse on the cinema. Same as Tintin.

Sure, they're not on the same league of Jaws or Close Encounters, but they're good movies. And made to be seen on the big screen.

Saw most of War Horse but eventually stopped watching. I simply don't understand what motivated Spielberg to make this movie. Anyhow, I might watch the ending one of the days.

Alex

It isn't a great film, until the last hour or so. Then it becomes that film that has the Spielberg magic of the good old days. I just love how gradually the emphasis shifts from the boy who owns the horse to the horse that touches on the lives of a number of a people. From the No Man's Land sequence right to the end, the film has tightly gripped me and doesn't let go. The final shot is pure poetry, the whole ending brings tears to my eyes. This is what motivated Spielberg to make this film... to make the horse the central character in the story, and drive the audience to tears by making the horse as important as any human being.

Doesn't it help that Williams wrote one of his finest of recent years for the film?

Alex

I'm sorry Alex but I've seen in the past weeks you have watched so many movies that you rated with very low ratings (below 5) and you couldn't finish War Horse?? :eek:

Did you?

By all means, see it again, I've watched it twice on blu-ray since missing out on it for a long time (found it an old-fashioned bore when I was younger). Now that I'm older I get what all the fuss is about. Jaws is a terrific early Spielberg and the suspense level is carefully crafted, the pacing is spot on.

War Horse was largely boring and often a bit too twee for my own tastes, but the gorgeous photography made soldier on. John's music was mostly bad too imo, unusual for me to feel that way about his contributions. All in all War Horse feels pointless.

Alex

I'm sorry Alex but I've seen in the past weeks you have watched so many movies that you rated with very low ratings (below 5) and you couldn't finish War Horse?? :eek:

The film couldn't keep me awake. I was falling asleep. It's quite a long movie (146 minutes).

War Horse was largely boring and often a bit too twee for my own tastes, but the gorgeous photography made soldier on. John's music was mostly bad too imo, unusual for me to feel that way about his contributions. All in all War Horse feels pointless.

Uhm no ! How many films with horses have ever come out that make this one pointless? And I don't even like the beasts. They're stately and fine animals, but I've never ridden one and don't want to.

John using more themes than his colleagues combined that year and it was bad ????

Alex

The film couldn't keep me awake. I was falling asleep. It's quite a long movie (146 minutes).

well, maybe you were tired too...