What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Wait I thought only the theatrical cut existed for that film?

Oh yeah. For some reason I thought the theatrical cut was a tad shorter. Couldn't remember some scenes.

Karol

Wouldn't have called Trainwreck an 'older' movie!

Angel Heart - hadn't seen this since its VHS release. Mid-40s sceptical me was considerably less freaked out by it than late-teens 'you never know' me, but still an effectively atmospheric horror-thriller.

I remember Bill Cosby's ire at the time over 'TV daughter' Lisa Bonet's sex scenes ... seems somewhat hypocritical in hindsight, given what he's been accused of since.

Seeking-a-Friend-for-the-End-of-the-Worl

I'm not saying it's incredibly bad but it couldn't keep me awake. I really have no reason to give this movie another try. Nothing about it is intriguing.

Alex

Alex watches crap so you don't have to.

1) Make no mistake, a lot of people are profoundly touched by this movie. I'm just not one of them. Maybe it's more a movie for Drax. Nah, there no city-destroying monster in it.

2) Pssst! Most movies are crap. You just have to watch a lot to find the good ones.

The Conversation

A sublime and subtle performance by Hackman propels this story of the best surveillance expert in the business who leads a quiet and lonely existence. Because of the nature of his business, and because of a recent tragedy in his past, he is unable to form healthy relationships with others but gets too close and wrapped up in the lives of those involved in his current assignment. Hackman really pulls out a nuanced performance, and with the help of a solid story and direction by Coppola, wonderful editing and music, this movie is really the whole package. Great twist ending too. Haven't seen this in about 15 years but it's one of those movies that sticks with you long after you're done watching.

fGVHsVA11qwiFNWeDwCHIZ6bt2G.jpeg

Sunset Boulevard

This straddles the line between noir and parody/black comedy. It's self-aware, but tells a serious story of burned out Hollywood writer Joe Gillis who ends up trapped in an internal battle of essentially holding himself hostage in lavish comfort and taking responsibility and setting himself free to pursue a life.

At the center are two women that pull him in either direction. The faded silent star Norma Desmond and the young spirited writer Betty Schaefer. It is told from Joe's point of view, and because he is a writer it is narrated through the filter of classic over-the-top screenplay dialogue. The theatrics of Norma, as well as the appearances of Buster Keaton and Cecil B. Demille, and scenes existing on the Paramount lot, play perfectly into this concept.

This movie could have fallen apart so easily in the hands of a lesser director, but Billy Wilder knows exactly what he's doing, knows the noir genre (Double Indemnity) and takes great risks in this dark material.

maxresdefault.jpg

Wow, nightscape, you're watching good movies lately!

Deux Jours, Une Nuit:

arton9281_zps5gfh20ap.jpg

Nice to see Marion Cotillard in a Belgian film. Even though the whole premise is nothing more than a woman asking her colleagues from work to give up their bonus (1000 Euro) so that she can keep her job, the film succeeds to be captivating. 7/10

Alex

The Conversation

A sublime and subtle performance by Hackman propels this story of the best surveillance expert in the business who leads a quiet and lonely existence. Because of the nature of his business, and because of a recent tragedy in his past, he is unable to form healthy relationships with others but gets too close and wrapped up in the lives of those involved in his current assignment. Hackman really pulls out a nuanced performance, and with the help of a solid story and direction by Coppola, wonderful editing and music, this movie is really the whole package. Great twist ending too. Haven't seen this in about 15 years but it's one of those movies that sticks with you long after you're done watching.

fGVHsVA11qwiFNWeDwCHIZ6bt2G.jpeg

John Candy cameo?

7437622.3.jpg

First time and I stayed up till 3:30am this morning watching this. And after seeing it I was pretty sure that I would dream about it in some way. I was right!

Anyway, very strange but interesting movie. I feel like I'm going to have to rewatch it at some point to further comprehend it. And Williams' score was great of course. Very haunting and nostalgic (I've never listened to it on its own before).

It's a mesmerizing gem of a film. The ending gets me everytime, and the whole build-up is superbly executed. One of my fave Spielbergs.

Just one thing... are the beings at the end aliens or highly advanced robots? I used to think the former but now I'm fairly certain they're the latter.

Absolutely positively 100% advanced mechas.

It's always confused me why anyone would think they were aliens. That would make no sense whatsoever.

The whole point of the end is that David is the bridge they need to figure out where they came from, since he was directly created by humans (and they are 2 thousand years worth of generations removed from that)

Playing It Cool

While it's refreshing to see Chris Evans do movies in between his Marvel Cinematic Universe obligations, it's a standard rom-com. Framing the story as a guy writing a screenplay about his failed romantic experiences doesn't freshen it up either. Evans' character comes off as petulant and obsessive.

Fixed image link now!

Yes, Steven Spielberg himself said that those were more-advanced mechas at the end (although he could be wrong too lol).

I can't stop thinking about the movie, it was just so effective. That tragic ending was perfectly executed, because you didn't know whether to feel happy or sad. I'm quite glad that Spielberg didn't try to replicate Kubrick's directing style completely, then the movie wouldn't have been as good. Anyway, I will definitely be picking up the soundtrack. I particularly liked the music which plays during the scene when David keeps going after and blocking Monica, the "marimba" music when they travelled in that amphibicopter to Manhattan, and the piano music right at the very ending scene.

@nightscape94: Will do!

Go right for the 3CD set.

Absolutely positively 100% advanced mechas.

It's always confused me why anyone would think they were aliens. That would make no sense whatsoever.

Agreed.

Enemy at the Gates (Jean-Jacques Annaud, 2000)

I enjoyed this tale of sniping masters a lot, not so much the score by Horner which tended to be very repetitive with that motif he sometimes used in other films. The beginning and ending of the movie holds the best material of the score, what comes in between is just dreary, dull and utilizing that motif 200 times just to let the viewer know who is the bad guy or when something dangerous is gonna happen. It took me out of the film more often than not. Much better is the love theme for the relationship between the russian sniper Vassilli and love interest Tania, the real heart of the film. Ed Harris isn't menacing enough IMO, which may also be due to Horner's lack of inspiration to give him an edge over the hero. And I also didn't like the final duel between the two, no legendary battle, just a shot in plain sight, which seems to be a huge anti-climax. All in all a good war film, with Jude Law, Rachel Weisz and Joseph Fiennes in effective performances.

I remember liking it quite a bit in the theater, bought it on DVD when it came out (I was buying almost every DVD back in those days), but when I watched it again I wasn't nearly as impressed and haven't seen it since.

vlcsnap2011112617h07m02.1952.jpg

Wet Hot American Summer

Watched this last month, before the show came out. Probably my 7th or 8th time seeing it since I saw it during its short theatrical run back in 2001. I loved it then and have loved it ever since.

I was a huge fan of The State, so see a movie directed by one of them and starring 4 of them (Michael Ian Black, Joe Lo Truglio, Ken Marino and Michael Showalter - and I later learned David Wain and Kerri Kenney had cameos too that were deleted) was instantly on my radar. Over the years every re-watch has made me realize more people that have gone on to great careers had early roles here - Amy Poehler, Christopher Meloni, Paul Rudd, Bradley Cooper, Elizabeth Banks, Kevin Sussman, even Samm Levine and Jon Benjamin in voice roles!

It's a completely absurd comedy with a thin plot, but its great. There are so many laugh out loud moments, and very short periods of time ever go by without even a little laughter. One of my favorite movies. So glad it got a sequel tv show a little later with every single (important) cast member returning! So cool.

the_burbs_1412330155_crop_550x260.jpg

The 'Burbs

Hadn't seen this film in aaaaaaaaaages! I found it surprisingly fun. It's got a wacky Tom Hanks, an oddly cast Corey Feldman (the actor was like 17/18 when filming.. how old was his character supposed to be, though? Did he own the house he lived in?), Carrie Fisher, and a freaking awesome Bruce Dern as a war veteran. There's also a guy as Hank's best friend who frankly was basically a poor man's Dan Aykroyd, like they couldn't get Aykroyd so found an imitator (I've never seen this guy in anything else that I can recall).

The plot is about suburbanites in a quiet culdesac who get interested in their mysterious new neighbors that move in. Joe Dante directed and puts just the right about of absurdity and wackiness in the film. The score by Goldsmith fits the film like a glove!

So I enjoyed it but probably won't watch it again for another 20 years.

locke-movie-tom-hardy.jpg

Locke

This is an interesting movie: Apart from extras, Tom Hardy is the ONLY actor to appear on screen, and the entire movie takes place as he drives for 90 minutes from his job site to a hospital in London. And it’s fascinating!

Under the opening credits we see the job site (Hardy’s character oversees concrete pours for large buildings), and then Hardy kick the dirt of his boots and take them off (something that comes up later) and read a text message. He gets in the car and comes to a crossroads. Go straight home to his wife and kid, or right to go somewhere else. At the time you don't know why he's making the decision he does, but as the story unfolds you realize how huge this moment is!

That’s all you should know; It’s better to find out the plot by watching it. It’s a short movie (84 minutes, so probably less than 80 before the credits start rolling). Nice little indie movie. Hardy’s acting is great, and there are lots of nice voice acting roles, too (he takes a lot of calls on his drive). I'd watch it again soon. Hardy should have received more recognition for this performance!

Locke's one of my favourite films of last year. The premise sounds less than gripping, but nothing could be further from the truth; Hardy is quite, quite brilliant.

The 'Burbs

Hadn't seen this film in aaaaaaaaaages! I found it surprisingly fun. It's got a wacky Tom Hanks, an oddly cast Corey Feldman (the actor was like 17/18 when filming.. how old was his character supposed to be, though? Did he own the house he lived in?), Carrie Fisher, and a freaking awesome Bruce Dern as a war veteran. There's also a guy as Hank's best friend who frankly was basically a poor man's Dan Aykroyd, like they couldn't get Aykroyd so found an imitator (I've never seen this guy in anything else that I can recall).

The plot is about suburbanites in a quiet culdesac who get interested in their mysterious new neighbors that move in. Joe Dante directed and puts just the right about of absurdity and wackiness in the film. The score by Goldsmith fits the film like a glove!

It's a nice satire on insular suburban paranoia ... up until the cop-out ending that reveals the Klopeks have been up to no good after all.

The 'Burbs

A typically fun and wacky Dante film. I have to watch it every 2-3 years. And 20 years dude ??? I could never do that with something that gives me so much belly laughter.

Favorite scene: when the gang goes to meet the Klopeks in their house, and they eat pretzels with sardines. That whole sequence is hilarious. :biglaugh:

And that's Rick Ducommon, who sadly passed away earlier this year. He had small parts in Gremlins 2 and Die Hard.

Yup the score was perfect for the film. Dante and Goldsmith gelled like Burton/Elfman and Williams/Spielberg

This Is the End

Aside from the Emma Watson cameo, this is irritating. Note for Seth Rogen and Jay Baruchel, standing around a kitchen yelling at each other and with your buddies does not a comedy make.

Thor: The Dark World was, what a weak sequel.

Haven't seen Avengers 2 yet.

When you do, severely lower your expectations. I hadn't been this disappointed in a movie since Spider-Man 3.

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. Decent Hollywood musical, pretty fun and a hilariously politically incorrect storyline. Mainly watched it for this still ridiculously impressive scene. Michael Kidd and Stanley Donen, man. Wow!