What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

You don't need to have read the comic.

I would say once you've read the graphic novel, you don't really need to see the movie, seeing as I find it does not add anything to an already brilliant piece of art. Even the visualization is inferior

I think what Romao (and others) are trying to say is that you won't understand all the gripes and issues until you read the whole thing. It's bit more complicated than just plot and drawings style (that you might not like). There is an entire deliberate structure and rhythm to it. If that makes sense. No of which translates onto film very well. Say, Snyder might want to replicate certain panels very closely (like an angel figure just before Comedian's funeral, for instance) but it has no real meaning as the device in comic books has a deeper meaning and is a part of bigger structure. It's not really a storyboard in that sense, even if it might look like one.

Karol

I think Watchmen is the best comic-book film I've seen so far ...

Yes, I think we should distinguish between the superhero movie genre and the comic book movie genre.

Only me and Alex truly understand the film and have appraised it properly!

Right Alex?

I think I was the first JWfan member who got excited over Watchmen (after seeing the very first little teaser). Everybody else said, "Sure, Watchmen, but why did have to be Snyder?!" Those were the good ol' days!

Ok...

How it's told is probably more (or at least just as) important than the actual plot itself. It's how this world is presented and how you, the reader, get an almost Dr Manhattan powers of seeing things at different levels simultaneously. If that makes sense.

Karol

How it's told is probably more (or at least just as) important than the actual plot itself.

That's exactly what I said to myself while I was watching the movie. Just like 300, cinematographically, Watchmen is constantly on '11',

Spinal_Tap_-_Up_to_Eleven_zpswr3vulxn.jp

For me, it's more of an admiration/disappointment kind of schizophrenia. As a mainstream blockbuster done by large studio, it's an experience like no other. In its class, probably among the best. As an adaptation to one of my favourite pieces of comics/literature, it's half-baked and bit tame. I could never embrace it unconditionally but will always encourage people to see it. And yeah, all versions.

The bottom line is, Watchmen is Zack Snyder's best film. If only for the whole cheek of it.

Karol

I saw the bonus features on the DC blu-ray and to me the writers of the comic were very appreciative of the film adaptation. They stated what they meant to convey in the comic had successfully translated to the big screen.

Or they were just praising to get new fans of the movie interested in reading it, that's also a possibility.

I've never read this comic, or any comic just to be clear.

The writers of the comic? Are you really sure about what you really saw?

Maybe only Dave Gibbons (he is one of the creators right)? Not Alan Moore. I'm not so sure now, since it's been a while since I saw those features.

Maybe it's my memory trying to romanticize it all, because in my head it's an awesome flick.

It was only Dave Gibbons. Moore wouldn't be caught dead promoting a thing like this

Moore wouldn't do that. The film could have been an utter masterpiece and he still wouldn't accept it or even watch it. DC Comics offered both artists their right back to the property (and V for Vendetta) back in the 1980's. That was after the initial print run. At the time, books would go out of print almost straight away. But DC never intended to have Watchmen go out of print. And so he never got rights to it as promised and stopped working with the company (owned by WB) altogether. At some point, in the late 90's he worked in WildStorm imprint for a bit, but DC bought that too. So he took away what he owned and now is publishing only with independent smaller companies and owns the rights to handful of his creations. He mostly works at the margins at the moment and on different smaller projects.

He starts to talk about Watchmen and comic at around 14:12:

He's a sound bloke. I've always like his sense of humour.

Karol

That's why I used "".

The deviations were many throughout the trilogy, but that didn't ever undermine the rich feeling of watching pure Tolkien as the story unfolded. Helped in no small part by Howard Shore, who seemed to channel the professor's prose as if he were being personally guided by him.

The Tribe. A 2014 neo-silent Ukrainian film about a school for deaf youngsters and their criminal activities. Really upsetting and grim. But can't help but marvel its efficient cinematic storytelling. Quite rare.

Karol

That's why I used "".

The deviations were many throughout the trilogy, but that didn't ever undermine the rich feeling of watching pure Tolkien as the story unfolded. Helped in no small part by Howard Shore, who seemed to channel the professor's prose as if he were being personally guided by him.

Agreed.

The LOTR are only true to the books on a basic plot level: situation A leads to situation B. I don't think the same spirit is there...at all, apart perhaps the Shadow of the Past sequence, which remains the highlight of the whole movie trilogy

Sure, but who ever watched Verhoeven movies for the way they looked? He's all about the swearing, violence, satire and boobies!

The LOTR are only true to the books on a basic plot level: situation A leads to situation B. I don't think the same spirit is there...at all, apart perhaps the Shadow of the Past sequence, which remains the highlight of the whole movie trilogy

For me, the consistent "spirit" of Tolkien is the whole reason the films worked and felt respectful of the source despite the alternations.

I like Verhoeven's films because they perfectly represent the character of the man himself.

The first time I saw an interview with him it made perfect sense that he was the man behind Robocop and Flesh + Blood, making even his big budget Hollywood stuff, quite personal in a way.

I know what you're saying. The interviews with him are always entertaining. He sorta has an over-the-top personality, something you recognize in his movies as well, they all have that 'Verhoeven flair'.

I like Verhoeven's films because they perfectly represent the character of the man himself.

I don't put it that way, but you basically just said the same thing as me in a different way. First and foremost he was at a time the most cynical director working in Hollywood and that showed in the way he handled satire. The uber violence, language and tits were perfect excesses of that... and ultimately proved his undoing with Showgirls.

Showgirls failed because it failed to give the audience an ulterior motif for watching it. Unlike Basic Instinct it wasnt a thriller or murder mystery, it was "just" sexploitation.

Quite a daring film in a way. And quite the hit in the home video market.

It was a pretty daring and interesting experiment making what is essentially a 90's direct-to-video softcore movie with a big budget, reputable actors and polished production.

Certainly it was better then Madonna's attempt, Body Of Evidence....

Maybe. I made it through about half of the movie. I just thought it was tacky smut, like any number of other low rent straight to video 'adult' thrillers. Verhoeven and his buddy Joe Eszterhas got too self indulgent, even by their standards. And Showgirls didn't have the benefit of a classy Goldsmith score to gloss it up.