What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

The Rocketeer was a much better film. Those two films were obviously Disney's attempt to cash in on the success of Batman AKA the comic book movie. Bizarre choices, to say the least.

The Rocketeer was a much better film.

Hmmm.. Don't agree.

At least Dick Tracy is much more beautiful aesthetically.

I know much of it is by design but Dick Tracy has to be one of the ugliest movies I've ever seen. My eyes can't bear to look at it.

You must be joking! :blink:

Dick Tracy

And I love Pacino's performance, although from what I understand it's from that moment on that every performance of his became a caricature?

I think it's obvious that's they wanted Pacino to be their equivalent of Jack Nicholson as The Joker. But whereas Nicholson being over the top and insane was ridiculously entertaining, Pacino was just annoying. All he does is yell.

Thats all Pacino has been doing since Scarface!

detail.1ed52c15.jpg

No.

film-drive-2011-the_driver-ryan_gosling-

Drive

I didn't like it. The opening getaway was a nicely done sequence, and then the setup of the rest of the story after that was pretty good for a while too. Then it just kept going and going and nothing was happening. And then finally stuff starting happening, and I didn't like it.

For half the film Gosling is just a Hollywood stuntman, who happens to drive criminals around sometime for money. Then halfway through he's this fully trained fighting murderer who has all these skills and can murder without it worrying him at all. So he's basically emotionally detatched from the world, except when he decides he likes the girl, or when he feels the need to bash a guy's face into pulp long after he's averted the dangerous situation he's in?

The plot is meaningless, it's just the same old criminals and double crossing stuff from a hundred movies. So you like or don't like the movie based on its style, and I didn't care for it. The slow parts were too slow, and the action parts were not exciting or cool or interesting.

Tons of people love this movie but I guess its just not for me.

I love Drive, it has a certain ambience, and the driver with his mysterious behavior kept me hooked. I thought it was a highly original crime film.

There are also a couple of 80's styled songs that made me buy the dull Martinez score album, simply to have those tunes.

I love Drive, it has a certain ambience, and the driver with his mysterious behavior kept me hooked. I thought it was a highly original crime film.

There are also a couple of 80's styled songs that made me buy the dull Martinez score album, simply to have those tunes.

Meh, Ant-Man is better.

Do you also know why or do you prefer not to think about it like TPG?

Also, what did your friend think of it? Did he by any chance not like it all that much?

I once heard that we always look a bit through that other person's eyes when we're not watching a movie alone.

Alex

Drive

I didn't like it. The opening getaway was a nicely done sequence, and then the setup of the rest of the story after that was pretty good for a while too. Then it just kept going and going and nothing was happening. And then finally stuff starting happening, and I didn't like it.

For half the film Gosling is just a Hollywood stuntman, who happens to drive criminals around sometime for money. Then halfway through he's this fully trained fighting murderer who has all these skills and can murder without it worrying him at all. So he's basically emotionally detatched from the world, except when he decides he likes the girl, or when he feels the need to bash a guy's face into pulp long after he's averted the dangerous situation he's in?

The plot is meaningless, it's just the same old criminals and double crossing stuff from a hundred movies. So you like or don't like the movie based on its style, and I didn't care for it. The slow parts were too slow, and the action parts were not exciting or cool or interesting.

Tons of people love this movie but I guess its just not for me.

I agree with you completely. The movie's a triumph of style over substance, and forgettable. The score was kinda cool though.

--

Fruitvale Station

It's too idealized in its portrayal of Oscar Grant. There's nothing wrong with emphasizing the man trying to turn around his life, but the director overplays his hand and glosses over the man's faults. Not to mention it doesn't dwell on the aftermath of the incident and the judicial system. The movie feels manipulative and pulls its punches.

Michael B. Jordan and Octavia Spencer were great though. I'd like to see them play son and mother in a lighter project.

Also, what did your friend think of it? Did he by any chance not like it all that much?

I once heard that we always look a bit through that other person's eyes when we're not watching a movie alone.

Alex

I probably posted about it here at the time. I think a lot of the tension didn't work on the second viewing. I still love the opening sequence, and I like the western archetypes and story structure. I still want to see Only God Forgives.

Alex

I probably posted about it here at the time. I think a lot of the tension didn't work on the second viewing. I still love the opening sequence, and I like the western archetypes and story structure. I still want to see Only God Forgives.

Similar kind of movie, I'm afraid. I remember fans of Refn loved it, but many critics who were into Drive, were disappointed this time. It's even more about style than Drive. I've never seen a Refn film more than once. I kinda like Valhalla Rising. That movie feels like a dream or a violent Terrence Malick film.

Alex

In the first Taken, Liam looked like he could take on all these bad guys without much effort and looking good in the process.

In the second Taken, Liam was disinterested, and by the time he had ended his revenge mission looked more than a little tired.

Don't think I'll watch the second sequel.

Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back.

First, the positive things. I still find C3-PO hilarious and actually care about his fate. The same goes for Han Solo, it was so sad how they tortured and froze him. I'm starting to like Leia too, though to a lesser extent, she clearly has some thinking to do regarding who she fancies. Darth Vader was charismatic enough, though I knew all about the 'I am your father' scene already thanks to reading the 'how to post a spoiler' part in the FAQ section of this forum. The score was still not really my thing, though the imperial march is a very effective theme and I'm wondering why Williams didn't write that theme for the previous episode. The end credits suite sounded unlike the rest of the score, like The Throne Room did in episode 4. I'm definitely going to listen to the entire score. Lando's entrance featured good music too, and the surround sound was amazing.

Then, the negatives. I'm sorry, but I just cannot care about Luke. He seems to be able to communicate with everyone using some (or the?) Force and Ben keeps communicating with him from someplace or another and then Yoda apparently overhears their conversations too. All he does is complain that he learned too much from Yoda already and he really needs to save his friends even though you can't even call the relationship between him and the rest a true friendship. Speaking of Yoda, he was great. Next week the next episode I will watch!

The score was still not really my thing, though the imperial march is a very effective theme and I'm wondering why Williams didn't write that theme for the previous episode. The end credits suite sounded unlike the rest of the score, like The Throne Room did in episode 4. I'm definitely going to listen to the entire score. Lando's entrance featured good music too, and the surround sound was amazing.

You will need to leave JWFan!

John Williams didnt write The Imperial March in Star Wars because he wrote a different theme for them, which is used there.

Star Wars didnt require a omnipresent march like TESB did. which is a film about The Empire kicking ass and taking names.

The end credit music really isnt very different from the actual film score. I dont know why anyone would think that. It features the 3 themes most featured in the score.

Wondering why Williams didn't write The Imperial March three years earlier is like worrying why we don't find our soul mates in high school.

He should have written it for the shark.

Isn't the Imperial March supposed to represent Darth Vader and/or his schemes? He was already bad and making schemes in A New Hope, wasn't he?

As for the end credits, I was only able to listen to the first part so my comment wasn't representative, but it sounded very cheerful to me.

PS: using the IM for Jane Eyre gives that girl a totally new dimension, lol. It could have worked had she decided to corrupt her pupils!

You have a lot to learn about composing and the director/composer relationship.

Wondering why a theme some composer wrote for one film for one director was not written for another film 3 years earlier for another directory is pretty silly thinking!

Star Wars was essentially an expensive independent film by a young writer/director given great chances due to the success of American Graffiti. No one knew it was the start of any kind of franchise, let alone a $4 billion franchise. It was a sci-fi film from a viosonary director who thought it should have a classic score until convinced otherwise. The score written perfectly fits the relatively small scope of the film.

It turned out to be a massive hit and when taking the small story that was there and creating a sequel for it, it was decided to expand the role of Darth Vader and this expansion shows in the music. Due to the face that Vader is hunting Luke the entire movie and the imperial fleet is squashing the Rebellion the entire movie, it makes sense to have a big grandiose march for this film. It wouldn't have been appropriate for Star Wars in 1977.

That film doesn't need it. Williams wrote a perfectly acceptable theme for the imperials that is used effectively in many scenes. When you think about it, there aren't nearly as many scenes showing just the Imperials in SW and there are in TESB.