What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I know we're not supposed to give him much credence, but from the creator's mouth ;)

Around the 1-min mark:

At least K.K. and Lucas himself get it. In Star Wars (1977) this plan was not yet visible. Star Wars (1977) itself follows the same blueprint as The Wizard Of Oz and The Matrix.

It proves that guy (steb73something) who feels embarrassed about me is nothing more than a fool or a troll. I no longer have patience with fools and trolls and so I put them on ignore (that's what "goodbye" means).

Alex

It proves that guy (steb73something) who feels embarrassed about me is nothing more than a fool or a troll. I no longer have patience with fools and trolls and so I put them on ignore (that's what "goodbye" means).

Alex

Report to Mods sent :up:

Soapy isn't the term I'd use to describe the drama of the Star Wars sequels. More like 'theatrical' and 'stilted'. Generally, one doesn't tend to attribute those demeanors to soap operas.

I think it takes soap opera archetypes and dresses them up in a more theatrical fashion. But a lot of the drama is fashioned after familiar soap opera territory (the father/son dynamic, the brother/sister/lover, etc).

That's a bit of an tenuous generalisation there, KK. Are we now going to say that Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, The Godfather movies, American Beauty, Twins and whatever else with family themes, are essentially "soapy" in their nature? I don't think so.

One could broadly attribute "soapyness" to anything which dealt with family and relationship themes, if so inclined. It's a broad and painfully simplistic generalisation, though. Even Shakespeare wouldn't be safe. Family drama and indeed melodrama didn't start with Coronation Street.

And FYI, with Star Wars, I'm talking about prose.

Watched Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith as part of the "machete order" Star Wars marathon.

Nothing really to add about Attack of the Clones. It's terrible, though there are a couple of sort-of good scenes and the music is good as always (when not being mangled by some of the worst music editing and mixing ever).

It might just be that I watched it right after AOTC, but ROTS was a fairly enjoyable experience once the terrible and unnecessary Grievous subplot ended. It's still bad, mind you, but I thoroughly enjoyed the melodramatic bombast of it all (aided greatly by the not mangled-in-editing John Williams score). Hayden Christensen's performance is an improvement too, with far less creepy stares and slightly less awkward line deliveries.
And it's not mentioned a whole lot but The E.T goodbye scene with Yoda and Chewie is hilariously out of place.

How old are Luke and Leia supposed to be in A New Hope?

When filmed, Mark Hamill was 25 and Carrie Fisher was 20.

Is ROTS supposed to take place 20 years before ANH? 25? 30?

How old are Luke and Leia supposed to be in A New Hope?

When filmed, Mark Hamill was 25 and Carrie Fisher was 20.

Is ROTS supposed to take place 20 years before ANH? 25? 30?

ROTS takes place 19 years before ANH, I believe.

Just because something may be melodramatic or sensational and too interwoven doesn't mean it has to be bad. TV soap operas, at least during my lifespan, have been ridiculous and terrible. Star Wars is the perfect example of taking those elements and making it into a workable, old-fashioned, and interesting story that is filled with engaging characters and sharp dialogue.

Watched Robert Zemeckis' A Christmas Carol last night. It's a bit of an annual tradition by now. Always thought it was a bit underrated. Granted, the animation is not that great but the overall direction and reverence to Dickens' language really sell this to me. Plus, it contains one of my favourite Alan Silvestri scores.

Karol

I guess Luke could easily be a 19 year old in that movie. Leia seems older than that, though.

I forget, did Jedi ever mention whether or not they were twins, or was that just a ROTS thing?

Vader says "twin sister" in ROTJ

Darth Vader: You cannot hide forever, Luke.
Luke: I will not fight you.
Darth Vader: Give yourself to the Dark Side. It is the only way you can save your friends. Yes, your thoughts betray you. Your feelings for them are strong. Especially for... sister. So, you have a twin sister. Your feelings have now betrayed her, too. Obi-Wan was wise to hide her from me. Now his failure is complete. If you will not turn to the Dark Side... then perhaps she will...
Luke: NEVER!

Wrong, Ben told Luke she was his twin

Obi-Wan: You cannot escape your destiny. You must face Darth Vader again.
Luke: I can't kill my own father.
Obi-Wan: Then the Emperor has already won. You were our only hope.
Luke: Yoda spoke of another.
Obi-Wan: The other he spoke of is your twin sister.
Luke: But I have no sister.
Obi-Wan: Hmm. To protect you both from the Emperor, you were hidden from your father when you were born. The Emperor knew, as I did, if Anakin were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him. That is the reason why your sister remains safely anonymous.
Luke: Leia! Leia is my sister.
Obi-Wan: Your insight serves you well. Bury your feelings deep down, Luke. They do you credit, but they could be made to serve the Emperor.

A Christmas Carol is okay and has some fine Zemeckis moments, but it lacks the heart that the story demands. Scrooged succeeded in that area.

My favourite Christmas Carol rendition is the 1984 TV movie with George C. scott.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087056/reference

I guess Luke could easily be a 19 year old in that movie. Leia seems older than that, though.

She was raised in an aristocratic environment. She knew how to carry herself regally. Luke was a hick.

Looking forward to watching The Polar Express again in a few weeks!

Good movie, though it's far too long.

Indeed, stay away from 3 hour 20 minute director's cut... it has way too many carols, not enough Silvestri. Not to mention all the Tom Hanks lookalikes which became ridiculous. :P

A Christmas Carol is okay and has some fine Zemeckis moments, but it lacks the heart that the story demands. Scrooged succeeded in that area.

My favourite Christmas Carol rendition is the 1984 TV movie with George C. scott.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087056/reference

Funny... also directed by a Donner. :D

Yes didn't you know??? Bob Z had Tom play 100 lookalikes, and 97 of them were cut, along with around 60 minutes of modern takes on christmas carols.

I read Tom was plenty pissed about that, after the many long days of shooting and doing the voice overs. Plus singing a couple of carols himself, and losing his voice in the process.

:beerchug:

Just watched Nobody's Fool (2nd time).

One of Paul Newman's best performances (he was nominated for an Oscar) in a feelgood "little" movie! (also nominated for best adapted screenplay)

I love the atmosphere in such films where they are set in small American towns in winter.

Cute music by Howard Shore.. The main theme reminds like something taken out of the hobbit music for Lord of the Rings.

Are you familiar with the Ernest films? Do check out Ernest goes to Camp and Ernest goes to Jail for some big laughs and a really good time.

Ernest has been with me since I was a kid and sometimes the kid in me wants to see Ernest again... ;)