What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Krampus:

Excellent Christmas horror! Yes, they Americanized the legend for a modern market, but it's a very well-made film that is full of fun and has the feel of a throwback to Amblin films of old.

Loved it.

EDIT: Whoops, wrong thread. Should be in newer films.

Forming a complete version of the TPM score is far, far more complicated than just combining those two sources; There was also a ton of extra music released inside video games that people have ripped out. There's a million complete fan edits you could download.

It's not that hard to do until you get to the Battle of Naboo. Then it just becomes a clusterfuck...

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. Not bad at all. Good storyand sound effects, Anna Farris could have done a better job playing Sam though. Mark Mothersbaugh's score was really excellent!

So Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs is better than The Empire Strikes Back?!

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs is a charming and fun film, but for excellence in film-making Empire Strikes Back is untouchable bollemanneke. You'll just have to deal with that fact. ;)

I can deal with that fact. All I'm saying is that ESB really is not my kind of movie at all.

So basically you are saying only kiddy movies are for you?

No, I'm saying that Cloudy had more character development and less artificial dialogue. Yesterday I watched Star Wars 1 and things like 'you are meant to be trained/I am meant to discover you' just drive me mad. Roger Ebert kept writing that you didn't have to watch SW for its story, so I'm not the only one.

Most of us who love the Star Wars movies now first saw them when we were pre-teens or young teenagers.

Watching them for the first time in your 20s won't have the same effect, especially if you are blind. They are very visual movies.

hqdefault.jpg

The Pianist

Good movie. My second time seeing it since I saw it in theaters in 2002. Incredible journey this guy went on!

Most of us who love the Star Wars movies now first saw them when we were pre-teens or young teenagers.

Watching them for the first time in your 20s won't have the same effect, especially if you are blind. They are very visual movies.

All films are visual!

Yes, that's what I meant.

Anyways, I've never seen Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs before. I probably should.

I saw it in theaters and thoroughly enjoyed it and its score. Haven't revisited either since.

I can't remember the score. It was pretty generic. In fact I can't remember anything that composer has written outside of the rugrats theme

All films are visual!

So that's why my local theater won't allow seeing eye dogs.

I saw it in theaters and thoroughly enjoyed it and its score. Haven't revisited either since.

I can't remember the score. It was pretty generic. In fact I can't remember anything that composer has written outside of the rugrats theme
Blasphemy!

Blasphemy!

Is it? Are there really that many Rugrats fans?

Mothersbaugh was never really able to break away from Devo the way Elfman did from Oingo Boingo. His scores are hard to take seriously, but there's some fun stuff, especially in the Wes Anderson films. Rushmore is probably my favorite, from what little I've heard.

tumblr_nhi01khyzv1tus777o3_r1_1280.png

The Witches of Eastwick

I didn't get it. This is supposed to be a beloved movie? I had never seen it before and didn't really know what to expect, but I figured it'd be at least enjoyable. But it dragged, the funny parts were quite few and far between. While the idea of a devil coming to town and making three housewives realize they are actually witches, and in the end they turn the tables on him, sounds good on paper, it just didn't execute at all. What a weird movie. Oh well.

Even the score, I dunno. Seemed like a lot of it was just hte main theme over and over again. At least that's all that really stood out from one viewing. Maybe the main theme is just too hit-you-on-the-head and not subtle enough. But its probably what the director wanted. Who knows.

The Witches of Eastwick

I didn't get it. This is supposed to be a beloved movie? I had never seen it before and didn't really know what to expect, but I figured it'd be at least enjoyable. But it dragged, the funny parts were quite few and far between. While the idea of a devil coming to town and making three housewives realize they are actually witches, and in the end they turn the tables on him, sounds good on paper, it just didn't execute at all. What a weird movie. Oh well.

Even the score, I dunno. Seemed like a lot of it was just hte main theme over and over again. At least that's all that really stood out from one viewing. Maybe the main theme is just too hit-you-on-the-head and not subtle enough. But its probably what the director wanted. Who knows.

So you like Ant-Man but not this?! :eh:

Nicholson was good in his final scenes, but man did the film take a long time to get there.

What was great about Cher? All 3 witches were drastically underwritten.

Mothersbaugh was never really able to break away from Devo the way Elfman did from Oingo Boingo. His scores are hard to take seriously, but there's some fun stuff, especially in the Wes Anderson films. Rushmore is probably my favorite, from what little I've heard.

Why is it hard to take his scores seriously?

Why is it hard to take his scores seriously?

I tend to think of his film output as just kinda quirky and not that substantial...easy to listen to but only superficially inventive/colorful and doesn't really resonate with me. Again I haven't listened to a lot of it but I don't know if there's anything he's written that I would really call a great score, whereas his Devo stuff was great satire.

The Witches of Eastwick wasn't very well received when it came out, it's not a particularly good movie.

It had boffo box office though.

And for the puzzled: it was produced by the infamous Guber/Peters duo, the second one being a former star hairdresser, and it is well-known they made for a living hell for directors. Miller had to endure daily interference and at one point Peters even ordered him to make the movie more like ALIENS because he had just seen ALIENS an found it cool.

Quite, but obviously it did the picture some good, at least if you consider its success. BR is the Batman movie, stylewise, Burton wanted to make, BATMAN is the one Peters wanted.

Cher was very attractive in this movie and I don't really find her attractive otherwise.

There's also this neat scene where Mr. Homn/King Terak takes Jack Nicholson to the store and he walks in whistling the theme. Supposedly, that's John Williams whistling. It's just weird, like the rest of the movie.

2:42