What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Indeed. PJ acknowledged the Bakshi version at several points. I'm guessing Marian never listened to the commentaries or watched any of the docu's.

I watched all the docus and loved them. I started listening to one of the commentary tracks and found it boring, so I didn't check out the rest.

Some of the commentaries about the more technical aspects of the films (for example, the commentary of the post-production team) are not THAT engaging, but the PJ/Walsh/Boyens one and the actors one are really fun and informative.

I haven't played an audio commentary in years, but I used to love those by Branagh and Fincher. They always gave the impression that they were actually watching the film "live" with you and talking freely about it based on a cheat sheet with the most important notes. As far as I recall, the LOTR commentary gave me the impression that too much of it was created in post production, which made it feel less immediate. There's also the problem that I used to watch the films so often that watching them again with commentaries seemed exhausting - and now I'm careful not to play them to death, so I only watch them every few years.

I probably watched all four commentaries for each of the three movies at least 2-3 times each.  The LOTR DVDs were just what I put on the TV by default when I were a teenager.

Now I did used to fall asleep to the commentaries at that time, but not because I thought they were boring.  More like the audio/visual equivalent of a glass of warm milk or whatever.

You Only Live Twice. Predictable, but enjoyable. Poor Aki, I really liked her. And how on earth did Moneypenny get on that boat at the end? Quite a career switch for a secretary... The score had good moments, though Barry uses trumpets waaaay too often.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

No, I definitely mant trumpets, Stefancos. High-pitched, wailing trumpets. Also starting to wonder whether there will be any film in which Spectre is not the villain.

Thanks to Kevin McGlory every one after Diamonds Are Forever. Though I think You Only Live Twice might even be the last one where the name SPECTRE is even mentioned.

It's a comedy classic!  My wife and I laugh uncontrollably watching this.  I will say it gets best when they actually get to Hogwarts.

The names are so good.  Dudley being called "Ragtime Roastbeefy" is a favorite.

Total Recall (1990). My first Schwarzenegger film. Very interesting story, but his voice just makes me crack up all the time. It would also have been nice had it ended with him waking up.

Also my first Goldsmith score. Some interesting tidbits, but I won't be listening to the OST.

30 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

It would also have been nice had it ended with him waking up.

Wrong!

30 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Also my first Goldsmith score. Some interesting tidbits, but I won't be listening to the OST.

You've never heard a Goldsmith score before????

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Goldsmith's been dead for 12 years and Bollen is ~20 years old.  Why does this surprise you?

What? Handel was born hundreds of years before I was born. As was Beethoven. That's the worst excuse ever and what's depressing about it is I've heard it before. 

Are you one of those people who thinks it's cute and funny when moronic fuckin children get all confused when they're handed a Walkman in YouTube videos? 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Goldsmith's been dead for 12 years and Bollen is ~20 years old.  Why does this surprise you?

Star Wars is 2 years older than I am, and yet that's exactly what got me into film music in the first place...

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Bollemanneke, not Bollen...

So in his teenage years he didsnt watch a single movie from the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's or 2000's that featured a Goldsmith score?

I find that very hard to believe.

Bollen grew up on Harry Potter and Pirates of the Caribbean films.  Goldsmith didn't score a lot of blockbuster films like Williams did.

Its entirely plausible he hasn't seen a film scored by Goldsmith. Probably not many current teenagers have!

I Just started Cloverfield... and stoped it after 6 minutes.

No.

giphy.gif

Next movie was supposed to be 10, Cloverfield Lane, can I skip it too?

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Bollemanneke, not Bollen...

So in his teenage years he didsnt watch a single movie from the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's or 2000's that featured a Goldsmith score?

I find that very hard to believe.

Indeed. Even I grew up seeing films like Gremlins, Medicine Man, Congo, The Edge, Air Force One, The Mummy, etc.

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

10 Cloverfield Lane is a totally different movie but you might stop watching that one as well. 

fhd008CLV_Odette_Annable_008@001318.jpg

We watched Upstream Color tonight.  If nothing else, it provided one of the most strange viewing experiences I've had in a long time.  Not that far into it, I was very close to turning it off.  I really can't remember the last time I turned off a movie, or wanted to turn off a movie, or walked out of a movie.  But it was irking me for some reason I can't at all place.  Since I wasn't watching it alone, and both "fuck it" keys weren't turned, it stayed on.

I think, think, that it was worth finishing.  It might be very good.  It's definitely the sort of film that I'm glad can get made and reach some level of notability.  Something about the very end made me tear up.

Weird, weird experience.

Allow me to elaborate. First, Stefancos, do you like talking to yourself? Can I be the one who brings up your post count this time? :) 

The only Goldsmith music I know except for Total Recall is his Basic Instinct main theme, which was absolutely fantastic, and his Star Trek main theme which is good.

This is going to sound rdiculous, but I have only been watching films for six years. I watch films using audio description (a commentary for blind/visually impaired people that explains what happens on screen). The UK and, to a lesser extent, the US, have been describing dozens and dozens of films for a very long time. However, I'm living in a country where people commonly think blind people don't care about films, and more importantly, are too dmub to understand and speak English, go to university etc. I only discovered AD by chance six years ago a new world opened up to me. Before that, I only watched films I had read the novels of (HP, LOTR etc). Now I can just look at the TV guide and download series/films with AD that look interesting to me, free of charge. Since then, I've been trying to fill the huge holes in my culture.

Maybe the Belgian TV guides hate Goldsmith, or maybe I don't like any films he's scored. I dunno, but I haven't got a personal grudge against him. I mainly go for (romantic) drama/fantasy, maybe that's got something to do with it. Most action film plots don't appeal to me, but Total Recall did.

8 hours ago, TheWhiteRider said:

We watched Upstream Color tonight.  If nothing else, it provided one of the most strange viewing experiences I've had in a long time.  Not that far into it, I was very close to turning it off.  I really can't remember the last time I turned off a movie, or wanted to turn off a movie, or walked out of a movie.  But it was irking me for some reason I can't at all place.  Since I wasn't watching it alone, and both "fuck it" keys weren't turned, it stayed on.

I think, think, that it was worth finishing.  It might be very good.  It's definitely the sort of film that I'm glad can get made and reach some level of notability.  Something about the very end made me tear up.

Weird, weird experience.

I remember seeing the trailer for this and being very interested but never ended up seeking it out. 

Watched The Hobbit trilogy in two days. I've never actually watched all three extended cuts from start to finish. I would only half-watch them with commentary track on while doing something else. How do they hold up? Both well and... not so well. While those films receive a lot of criticism and fail to generate much excitement, we have to also state that they are not all that bad after all. Certainly not prequel bad. You can actually see a lot of love and work went into making them.  The acting is mostly great, there are some really good sequences and they are mostly undone by Jackson's over-indulgence and excessive running time. I would imagine a tight fan edit could turn them into a really solid adventure film.

The second film is by far the best one. And the extended material actually makes it even better. Howard Shore's score is also the strongest in this second installment, ignoring some strange editing choices. It is the only entry in this series (speaking of both music and film) that actually feels like its own thing and where we get to see something a bit new. The third film is relatively solid in its first half but I completely lost interest once the battle started. The ending is ok but slightly too brief (oh, the irony). The first film is pleasant but bit aimless overall. However, it has the Gollum sequence which feels very much like an independent short film within that big story.

What's funny, some of the special effects look absolutely horrendously bad while others are pretty good. The trilogy is very inconsistent like that. Some good fantasy sequences, some good character moments. But unconvincing as a whole. Still relatively watchable, though, even if only for the Middle-earth flavour and detail.

Karol

15 hours ago, Bespin said:

I Just started Cloverfield... and stoped it after 6 minutes.

No.

10 Cloverfield Lane is not a found footage movie like Cloverfield.  You might like it. 

McCoy was a good Doctor, who was hampered by inappropriate companions (Mel), a lot of bad stories, and typical late-80s sensibilities. McCoy, himself, was good. I recommend "Rememberence Of The Daleks", and  "The Curse Of Fenric", as examples of his "manipulative" Doctor.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Well...:) 

I love the way that the three Doctors end up as Sontarans.

All the PJ stuff is brilliant. That man simply must direct a DW story.

Has this actually been confirmed (or refuted) in any way?

The Hobbit trilogy would have been so much better if they hadn't insisted on re-making LOTR. I watched them with commentary a short time ago. PJ keeps justifying longer running times and added plot lines even though I think he doesn't have any excuse for that. It simply isn't a story that requires three long films. As for the scores, I don't know what happened after AUJ but I largely totally lost interest after that, apart form the odd track. It sometimes felt like Silence of the Lambs.