What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

What follows is a fun and exhilarating chase. Like the desert chase a year earlier Spielberg finds little touches of action which keeps things varied. And unlike the bikes the kids in Stranger Things were riding, thanks to the magic of film making, the ones in this films are super fast, agile and when needed can even fly!

I once read a point of critique that by having E.T and Elliot fly during that Halloween scene Spielberg ruined the surprise of the triumphant flight near the end of the film.

But that isnt the point of the flying scene. It's not about a sudden plot twist or surprise rescue. It's about the exhilaration. And the suspense. Spielberg was channelling Hitchcock very well in this period actually.

What I remember most about this sequence from repeatedly seeing the film: The suspense of the score itself. Those moments before they actually lift off and the flying music kicks in. You know it's coming, but like the film, the music sets it up several moments early and then keeps delaying it for longer than you expect.

They should do a Special 'Duffer' Edition of  E.T. with Carpenter music. I think modern audiences will appreciate it more than the soft Walkie Talkie version. 

17 hours ago, Stefancos said:

There's just no intellectual fulfilment in a summer trip to Disneyland.

True! It never appealed to me.

10 hours ago, Richard said:

FESTEN is great. In fact, any Dogme stuff is great, but so is BREAKING THE WAVES.

Festen is not Von Trier though.

Ah, yes, I stand corrected!

It's just that anything under the umbrella of Dogme 95, says "Von Trier" to me, since he was one of its originators.

It's a bit like the general public saying that BTTF, GREMLINS, and THE GOONIES are Spielberg films. I, on the other hand, should know better.

I...am a worm!

Extremely loud and incredibly close. The first half I enjoyed (for want of a better word), but then I really started wondering why on earth I didn't turn it off. Basically for Desplat's marvellous music.

Basic Instinct. The main theme is gorgeous, but I sort of lost interest as the film progressed, though some moments did stand out (the final scene, for instance). For unclear reasons, I had already watched the sequel a few months ago, and to be honest, I liked it better, especially the ending, though Sharon Stone sounds totally different in that one, rather weird. This one wasn't bad but I just don't like open endings.

On 6 September 2016 at 8:25 PM, Stefancos said:

E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial

E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial is one of the very best films ever made on planet Earth. As for the score. I paraphrase JoeinAr "When John Williams has died and gone to Heaven, God will thank him for E.T."

Wow, I haven't watched this for over a decade and you make me want to see it again!

Lovely review...er, testimonial. :)

The beginning of Extremely Loud & Incredible Close. I recognized the music of Alexandre Desplat within the first second. Usually that's a good thing but in this case I'm afraid it's because he is repeating himself a bit.

extremely-loud-incredibly-close1.jpg

"I want that cunt put in jail" :lol:

BI2 is funny, for all the wrong reasons.

It's sad to see quality actors such as Thewlis, Morrissey, and Rampling jump through all those hoops.

Make no mistake, Bolle; BI is a class act, BI2 is garbage.

41 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

It's like saying "I can't stand Jaws but Jaws 2 is a classic!" With other words: Only at JWFan!

That's the beauty of JWfan. It caters for left-fieid opinions, and every opinion is given equal time, and equal respect :whistle:

Did I once read somewhere that STAN COLLYMORE is in Basic Instinct 2? 

Probably not a good sign when you're falling back on former footballers to fill out your cast (although Vinnie Jones did make a go of it for a while, in fairness). 

I didn't say I couldn't stand BI, I said I was less captivated by the plot, though Tramell is more mesmerising in this one. The ending just annoyed me a little bit because we're none the wiser as to who really did it.

19 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Did I once read somewhere that STAN COLLYMORE is in Basic Instinct 2? 

What? You mean you've never seen BI2?!

Oh, the humanity!

Stan Collymore gets to finger Sharon Stone, in a car...before drowning in it (that's the car, not Sharon Stone) in an "accident". Ho hum.

17 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I didn't say I couldn't stand BI, I said I was less captivated by the plot, though Tramell is more mesmerising in this one. The ending just annoyed me a little bit because we're none the wiser as to who really did it.

You're wrong. In the final moments, an ice pick is shown under the bed, meaning she did do it all along. Did the version you watched not have the audio descriptive thingy? 

On 11/09/2016 at 0:22 PM, Richard said:

What? You mean you've never seen BI2?!

Oh, the humanity!

Stan Collymore gets to finger Sharon Stone, in a car...before drowning in it (that's the car, not Sharon Stone) in an "accident". Ho hum.

I'm guessing the car goes into a river, as opposed to his fingering skillz being so advanced that Catherine/Shazza 'squirts' so much the car fills up. 

Star Wars

Not the New Hope tinkered version, but the original version. Most of the original visual effects look better than the cartoonish CGI touch-ups in the 1997 and 2004 versions, especially the opening sequence, and it drops the awful Han-Jabba scene. (Not to mention Han shot first.) I just like the purity of how audiences originally saw it back in 1977, even down to the Fox copyright logo at the end. 

The thing I like the most about the untouched edition is how desolate and remote Mos Eisley feels. It suits the atmosphere of the place so much better,

On the other hand, I prefer the 1997 remaster of the Battle of Yavin