What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

9 hours ago, Romão said:

The thing I like the most about the untouched edition is how desolate and remote Mos Eisley feels. It suits the atmosphere of the place so much better,

On the other hand, I prefer the 1997 remaster of the Battle of Yavin

For all its shittiness, the Special Edition gets one thing right: the short scene with Biggs just before the assault on the Death Star gives his death the weight that was missing from the theatrical cut.

The addition was harmless. The real travesty would have been restoring Biggs' scenes on Tatooine when he tells Luke of his plans to defect, after Luke tells his friends of the space battle over his planet. 

A major strength of Star Wars that early in the film is allowing the droids to tell the story. We meet Luke when the droids bring us to the Lars farm. 

The Biggs story thread was so irrelevant that removing all of the artifacts definitely prevented SW from being weighed down with any more sentimentality than was already present.  Stick to the main characters.  During the battle of Yavin, the other pilot's individual deaths aren't as important or impactful as the aggregate of their deaths giving you an understanding of the rebellion's status.

The only exception is Porkins, who was a hero.

The Help

Even though the film was marketed for female audiences, there's actually broader appeal due to the unsentimental directing and the fine performances. Tate Taylor treats his friend's source material with the respect and gravity it deserves, along with genuine warmth and humor. While Octavia Spencer earned the Best Supporting Actress win for her funny performance as Minny, it's a damn shame Viola Davis didn't win Best Actress. The weaker spots are Emma Stone, who is basically an audience surrogate, and Bryce Dallas Howard is a one-note villain. 

On her majesty's secret service. Definitely my least favourite Bond film so far but glad Bond's finally played by another actor. I only started to like the plot after an hour. Bad ending too, though I'm glad he's rid of hs countess. What a horrible woman. All of them really, except Ruby. The score, on the other hand, I did like. Great main theme.

Inception

First time watching this. I'm surprised it took me so long to end up seeing this considering how into lucid dreaming I was when this came out. Overall it was a great film. I'm not too big a fan of DiCaprio, but I still liked it. The score bored the heck out of me though.

On 15/09/2016 at 9:03 AM, Brónach said:

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

Aw, this movie is totally adorable.

On 15/09/2016 at 0:58 PM, Quintus said:

Probably. Followed by First Contact, which is my own favourite. 

STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE

is better than everything.

39 minutes ago, TheWhiteRider said:

Richard is a known enemy of the faith.  Now Hawmy is marked. 

Was there ever a man so misunderstood?

I am not anti-Nolan. In fact I own INTERSTELLAR, and INCEPTION on Blu (the latter for the complete 5.1 score, but, hey, I still have it). I enjoyed MEMENTO, and his INSOMNIA remake, and I really like THE PRESTIGE. True, I think that all copies of, TDK, and TDKR, along with the original negative, should be completely obliterated, but that's just, like...my opinion, man.

No; I don't like trailers that rely on a director's name. I also know that more people will watch this film if they see Nolan's name attached, so, I'm in a bit of a minority.

I probably won't see DUNKIRK, but it won't have anything to do with this lazy, and anodyne teaser.

Batman (1989).

I liked the slightly more light-hearted approach. Also loved and preferred Jack Nicholson as The Joker.

And the score... I've read a lot of negative criticism about Zimmer's Batman, but honestly, what a STUPID score is this? My main problem with it is, well, my main problem with Elfman is: he scores everything as if it's a joke. Nothing is ever serious, nothing has any kind of gravitas or dread (except for Dolores Claiborne). I suppose the main theme isn't all that bad, but shouldn't a superhero score sound... heroic? Zimmer did an excellent job there. Granted, the organ is original here, but other than that, I only liked the few romantic cues. Zimmer's sound might be derivative (I'm not denying that), but it told a story about saving a city, whereas this score tells... some sort of other story I can't even define.

Zimmer's/JNH's sound in those scores isn't at all derivative.  Remember, that came first.  The sound was aped by others after.

5 hours ago, Richard said:

Was there ever a man so misunderstood?

I am not anti-Nolan. In fact I own INTERSTELLAR, and INCEPTION on Blu (the latter for the complete 5.1 score, but, hey, I still have it). I enjoyed MEMENTO, and his INSOMNIA remake, and I really like THE PRESTIGE. True, I think that all copies of, TDK, and TDKR, along with the original negative, should be completely obliterated, but that's just, like...my opinion, man.

No; I don't like trailers that rely on a director's name. I also know that more people will watch this film if they see Nolan's name attached, so, I'm in a bit of a minority.

I probably won't see DUNKIRK, but it won't have anything to do with this lazy, and anodyne teaser.

Save it for the Inquisition.

10 hours ago, Richard said:

Come on, it's a 60 second teaser.  It establishes time period, setting, and a general mood.  Nothing even remotely sycophantic happens for someone to form such a vehemently dissentious opinion, or in some way believe that it's being intentionally inoffensive.  It's just a teaser.